Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
A trip of a lifetime! Enjoy....can't wait for the next "edition"! Safe driving:cool:

·
Registered
180 Posts
PS...Have you seen any other R8s yet?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have yet to see one on the road at the same time as me. But there are 3 sitting in the Audi showroom, and maybe 2 more at the back...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen another one on the road since i bought mine over a year ago. I know ya'll are out there but not in LA it would seem!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Robot - what is your cruising speed in your R8 most days? and what is the fastest you have gone in it? What a journey!

·
Registered
482 Posts
You my man are using your purchase the way it was meant to be. Hats off to you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 09r8 for the kind words...yes...there was a little accountant in the back of my head saying "you are going to seriously depreciate your car if you do this" and the devil in the front of my head saying "why the hell did you buy this thing if not to consume it in the most glorious fashion possible"

Devil won

Average speed has been about 85 on the freeways and whatever feels healthy on the twisty bits. When i get to the open desert at the end of the trip i'm sure i'll open her up a bit more. I will offer that without the valentine radar detector i'd be toast already.

Thanks for the support everyone...I'll keep you posted.

Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow. Must be very exciting to do that. I always wanted to do a cross country trip. Much respect and admiration to you~ :D

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Your trip sound amazing. Thanks for sharing ! Anybody planning the Route 66 passage across America in their R 8? A very historic first route from New York to California. I...get my kicks...on route 66 !!:)

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I believe Route 66 ran from Chicago to California... Let's go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66
U.S. Route 66 (also known as the Will Rogers Highway after the humorist, and colloquially known as the "Main Street of America" or the "Mother Road") was a highway in the U.S. Highway System. One of the original U.S. highways, Route 66, US Highway 66, was established on November 11, 1926. However, road signs did not go up until the following year.[1] The famous highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, before ending at Los Angeles, encompassing a total of 2,448 miles (3,940 km)[2]. It was recognized in popular culture by both a hit song and a television show in the 1950s and 1960s.

Route 66 underwent many improvements and realignments over its lifetime, changing its path and overall length. Many of the realignments gave travelers faster or safer routes, or detoured around city congestion. One realignment moved the western endpoint further west from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica.

Route 66 was a major path of the migrants who went west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive even with the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System.

US 66 was officially removed from the United States Highway System on June 27, 1985[3] after it was decided the route was no longer relevant and had been replaced by the Interstate Highway System. Portions of the road that passed through Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, and Arizona have been designated a National Scenic Byway of the name "Historic Route 66". It has begun to return to maps in this form. Some portions of the road in southern California have been redesignated "State Route 66", and others bear "Historic Route 66" signs and relevant historic information.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That will be a great trip. I'll be hitting some parts of route 66 as i run along interstate 10 back to LA...'ll be sure to post whatever occurs en route!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
SWEEEET !!!:eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
LOL...thanks for the early morning giggle! Just checked your blog and loved the re-enactment video!
Stay safe!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much....i'll take your well wishes to heart as i motor through the sleet here just north of Memphis....it's fairly treacherous today!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
ACDC's album Black Ice sounds appropiate for you today.Be Extremely careful not to let your R 8 get damaged !!!!:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts