Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So seeing as no one is interested at the moment in buying my car I figure let's make things interesting until then lol

Thinking about going RWD and wanted to see if anyone already has any experience with these or have installed themselves and how the car has been since install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I haven't driven mine around with RWD, but mine is at the shop currently getting some performance mods done. The first thing they did was take out the drive shaft for a pre dyno. Took all of 30 minutes or so, and I believe that is all you need to do, but perhaps there is more?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, please keep me updated on your build. I believe thats most the work and then just installing the two peices in the front axle. What were the dyno numbers and did you weigh it as well?

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
I haven't driven mine around with RWD, but mine is at the shop currently getting some performance mods done. The first thing they did was take out the drive shaft for a pre dyno. Took all of 30 minutes or so, and I believe that is all you need to do, but perhaps there is more?
Drive shaft, differential and front axles have to come off.

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
Undo all under body panels
Remove prop shaft
Remove front diff assembly and front axle. Disconnect diff temp sesnor (leaving it unconnected will NOT trigger any error lights)
Put the hubs in that we supply and torque to axle nut to 103 ft / lbs

Labor time is 2 to 3 hrs for removal and install and lift is needed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Interesting, please keep me updated on your build. I believe thats most the work and then just installing the two peices in the front axle. What were the dyno numbers and did you weigh it as well?

I put down 458whp on the Dynojet, only mod at the time was the Capristo X-pipe exhaust. I will have a build thread on my car hopefully next week.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Making it RWD isn't hard, but why? how much weight does it save? 60-70lb? or just for fun? Price is reasonable anyway...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think it's both of those factors, plus less parasitic loss from the drivetrain. I personally appreciate the safety net AWD affords, esp in New England. That being said, I'm sure it's a nice performance bump with all the combined factors mentioned above.

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
Making it RWD isn't hard, but why? how much weight does it save? 60-70lb? or just for fun? Price is reasonable anyway...
For the V8 owners it makes the car fun to drive because it is under powered to begin with from the factory. Living in Texas I have never felt the need for a quattro system on a V8.
Weight saving is 97lbs and 100% reversible. Labor time is about 2 hrs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For the V8 owners it makes the car fun to drive because it is under powered to begin with from the factory. Living in Texas I have never felt the need for a quattro system on a V8.
Weight saving is 97lbs and 100% reversible. Labor time is about 2 hrs.
Good to know. This will probably be one of the few mods I'll do when I purchase my car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have removed the driveshaft and left the front axles and diff in place. No lights or CEL and the car is much more fun! Tires spin pretty well into third gear with 305 Toyo's. Easily reversible and noticeable difference between RWD and AWD

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have removed the driveshaft and left the front axles and diff in place. No lights or CEL and the car is much more fun! Tires spin pretty well into third gear with 305 Toyo's. Easily reversible and noticeable difference between RWD and AWD

So by removing the drive axle.
It don't feel awd no more.
Even though the diff is in place

1 - 20 of 54 Posts