Audi R8 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Just to remind you, mine was first bonded and then welded, as my welder said he could do it without a lot of heat penetration into the epoxy that is in the area that cracks.
Thanks for that Dave. I do recall you mentioning that previously and thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Thanks guys. Will be interesting to see how well these epoxy hold. With Dave's double weld and bond, it is likely bomb proof! :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just to remind you, mine was first bonded and then welded, as my welder said he could do it without a lot of heat penetration into the epoxy that is in the area that cracks.
How does that work then? How can you bond it and then weld it? Doesn't the heat affect the epoxy?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Question 1. Is the 'epoxy only' preventative method a possible DIY job?

Question 2. If someone went to look at a used R8 and saw the plate fitted how would they know there wasn't a crack underneath it? Unless supplied with a receipt to show professionally fitted who wouldn't have fitted over a crack? Though when you buy from a dealer often times the paperwork is lost or not supplied by previous owner.

Question 3. If someone (unscrupulous) found they had a chassis crack wouldn't the easiest thing to do would be to glue on some plates and sell it and the new buyer being pleased that 'preventative measure' had been taken though it would be disguising it?

Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts

Question 2. If someone went to look at a used R8 and saw the plate fitted how would they know there wasn't a crack underneath it? Unless supplied with a receipt to show professionally fitted who wouldn't have fitted over a crack? Though when you buy from a dealer often times the paperwork is lost or not supplied by previous owner.

Question 3. If someone (unscrupulous) found they had a chassis crack wouldn't the easiest thing to do would be to glue on some plates and sell it and the new buyer being pleased that 'preventative measure' had been taken though it would be disguising it?

Just some thoughts.
The only reason I fitted the plates was because I intend to keep the car so questions 2 and 3 aren't relevant to me but definitely would be if I was buying a pre 2011 car. Question 1 is a yes.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Just some thoughts.
I had Ricky take some 'before and after' photos for the very reasons you've mentioned. Like Dave, however, I intend keeping my car so was for peace of mind. It is a DIY job so long as you are happy removing all the trim, wiper arms and front dampers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks Dave and Trev. I went to the trouble of removing the panels on mine to check there were no cracks which wasn't a major job so in the Spring I might get mine done as a preventative belt and braces job.

Best wishes,
Ian

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Thanks Dave and Trev. I went to the trouble of removing the panels on mine to check there were no cracks which wasn't a major job so in the Spring I might get mine done as a preventative belt and braces job.

Best wishes,
Ian
And best wishes to you and your family too Ian.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Best wishes,
Ian
(y)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Hi Trev450

Have the two screws on the adhesive surface been removed? and then attached the reinforcement.

Tom
Hi Tom,
No, the area around them was abaided and degreased but they were left in place.

4.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
And that is? :)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Hi

When I'm done, I'll show it in the picture.

But that won't be until early next year, so please be patient.

Tom
I shall be very interested to see your approach to this Tom.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
There are much "better" ways of reinforcing this area, how we do the race cars is probably the strongest way.

On the race cars its to add rigidity across the front rather than to stop frame splits, go in to a tyre wall hard and a small frame crack is least of your worries! lol

But it is a high cost solution for a piece of mind repair.

Cheers Ricky

421 - 440 of 481 Posts