Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
When you drive by they will think you're the Lawnmowerman :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL- perhaps... then again, I heard the Audi V-12 diesels run at Sebring- didn't sound like mowing grass to me!

You have grass in the netherlands? Hee hee.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
With 20% less HP but so much torque...what does this car feel like?

Would it have better performance than the gasoline version?

·
Registered
782 Posts
LOL- perhaps... then again, I heard the Audi V-12 diesels run at Sebring- didn't sound like mowing grass to me!

You have grass in the netherlands? Hee hee.....
Haha, yes. But normally we don't drive with R8's over it :)

I think Audi will do a good job with the sound. So much torque, how fast will your tyres wear then? LOL

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ok, I heard same rumor from my friend(Audi insider) as well...
R8 TDI-if they decide to build it-will have around 340hp/750Nm and performance will be 0-100km/h in 5.5s with top speed of 280km/h...
TIP slush 6speed of course(no manual or even 7speed DSG could handle that much torque, in fact 6speed manual could but, torque characteristic od V8 TDI is not very friendly in real life-unlike on the paper)...

Price? Same money as forthcoming manual V10(definitely more then 500hp!!)...

IMHO totaly wrong move from Audi if they decide to build TDI version of R8.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok, I heard same rumor from my friend(Audi insider) as well...
R8 TDI-if they decide to build it-will have around 340hp/750Nm and performance will be 0-100km/h in 5.5s with top speed of 280km/h...
TIP slush 6speed of course(no manual or even 7speed DSG could handle that much torque, in fact 6speed manual could but, torque characteristic od V8 TDI is not very friendly in real life-unlike on the paper)...

Price? Same money as forthcoming manual V10(definitely more then 500hp!!)...

IMHO totaly wrong move from Audi if they decide to build TDI version of R8.
but with 700nm, how can it only go 5.5?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm.. some of these critiques about diesel engines would be valid, if this were 1988.

With the latest foundry processing, it's possible to build an iron diesel V-8 that is nominally heavier than a iron gas V-8; GM has been casting diesel-strength gas blocks for over a year now. I seriously doubt that an Audi V-8 diesel is going to weigh a lot more than the V-10, and they don't lose much packaging space with the diesel V-8.

In fact, isn't the whole point of Audi engineering exercises such as the V-12 racer to solve these sort of hurdles? We're not talking about dumping a Powerstroke into the back of an R8.

The flat torque curve for a diesel is ideal, actually- makes gearing rather simple, then.... Do you suggest a more vertical curve is better? How so? I see vertical torque curves on 1000 hp Toyota Supras- they don't look so easy to drive. BMW does a nice diesel V-8- looks to be a very flexible engine, and I think Audi could do just as well.

Transaxles aren't much of a hurdle when you're a manufacturer- you design the proper transaxle from scratch- no need to parts-bin this aspect of the car. Once Audi establishes that they need a DSG transaxle that can support 1000 ft/bs of torque, they can work backwards on a clean sheet. The additional torque means fewer gears necessary, which can then mean more room for stronger components.

For me, a diesel R8 makes perfect sense- I want a sporty GT touring car, I want usable power on demand, and I want some practicality to my sporty experience. If I want a more free-revving base model, I'll choose the V-8, and if I need a wilder ride, I'll move up to a Gallardo.

In fact, as far as product line goes, seems to me that adding a V-8 diesel makes much more sense than adding a V-10. A V-10 only cribs sales from either the marginally slower V-8, or the much more profitable Gallardo- a V-8 diesel has it's own niche.

No question, there is a certain desire with the V-10 of winding up with a "cheaper" Gallardo. I doubt this is a profitable avenue for Audi, longer term, tho- it's not like S8 sales are setting the world on fire.

Growth comes from expanding into new markets, not competing with those you already populate. I just can't see enough allure in the V-10 to draw me away from the gas V-8....

But an R8 that can give me 30mpg and locomotive torque? Sign me up, for a big fat premium....(!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts