Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like what...?

They said that R8 is awsome GT, not true sportscar despite amazing drive dynamics.

Slalom and ISO test numbers are excellent but, R8 is only marginally faster then RS4 Saloon. Also it is pretty heavy...

So, my own findings that R8 is not any faster then RS4 is true.

·
Registered
564 Posts
EXPLORER - but maybe it has something to do with the not allowed formats in this network i am working at the mom...

well i didnt net AMS for that :D .. see my comment in nürburg thread

it is a wonderful GT... but not a ferrari contender
and handling is excellent.. it sticks to the road like a drop of wax on a carpet :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EXPLORER - but maybe it has something to do with the not allowed formats in this network i am working at the mom...

and handling is excellent.. it sticks to the road like a drop of wax on a carpet :D
Yes, roadholding is excellent indeed but, it is not any faster then RS4. I find that fact pretty annoying...

·
Registered
137 Posts

I use firefox and I also can't see any pics (that's why I asked for more info, because I thought kreso only posted that the R8 is slow). If I use explorer I also get errors regarding the pics. Also, the last pic can also not be displayed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess some problems with pics hosting...

Any way here are the numbers.

0-100km/h: 4.6s
0-160km/h:10.8s
0-200km/h:16.7s
400m 13.0s(178km/h)

60-100km/h: 4.9s/6.6s(4/5)
80-120km/h: 6.3s/8.7s(5/6)

Weight: 1632kg

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some highlights of the article:
> perfect GT for a mature clientele
> perfect for sportscar beginners, as the car is very well balanced and forgiving
> very good chassis which certainly can handle more hp (of course we all know that it has to very soon )
> they liked the engine (very elastic, nice sound)
> clutch is very easy to operate, smooth start off the line etc.
> precise gearbox
> steering: if you have to sneeze while keeping your hands on the wheel, the car won't change direction
> 200 km/h feels like 130 km/h....
> despite the 4wd you can evoke some mild oversteer when playing with the throttle
> car is very comfortable for long distance spins

BTW, here are the RS4 Saloon numbers from AMS 20/2005

0-100km/h: 4.7s
0-160km/h:11.0s
0-200km/h:17.2s
400m: 13.1s(174km/h)

60-100km/h: 5.0s/6.8s(4/5)
80-120km/h: 6.4s/8.4s(5/6)

Speed in gears:
68/116/161/219/258/280(all in km/h)
Here I posted version with quattro Gmbh limiter(280km/h)

Weight: 1778kg

...and both models of 997 also from AMS:

997 Carrera S

0-100km/h: 4.7s
0-160km/h:10.6s
0-200km/h:16.5s
1469kg

Porsche 997 Carrera S(X51) with -20mm/LSD

0-100km/h: 4.4s
0-160km/h: 9.8s
0-200km/h:15.0s
1478kg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys I have a question:) In terms of handling or road holding which one do you think is better 911 Turbo or R8? This question is especally for You Chris because You drove it couple days ago:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys I have a question:) In terms of handling or road holding which one do you think is better 911 Turbo or R8? This question is especally for You Chris because You drove it couple days ago:)
R8 is more safer car! It has better traction and is much, much easier to drive fast IMHO. Drive dynamics of R8 are excellent.

BUT, in direct comparison against 997 turbo there is no doubt at all-R8 is way slower!

Let me put it this way-on German autobahn R8 do not have any chance against 997 turbo.

·
Registered
564 Posts
R8 is not to be compared with turbo..

but compare it with normal 911 4CS then you will see that AUdi has made a wonderful piece of work.. i dont know how porsches are handling, but R8 was easy and lots of fun.. check my comments in the actual threads...

Kreso - i just read the article in the train on my way home.. your first comments shocked me.. but after reading AMS.. I did not find ONE SINGLE negative point in the authors text.. at the end in the summary, the weight is mentioned, but while he was throwing the car in to corners on a winding mountain road, he wront, weight was not to be mentioned...

if i got time i will pic some of my favourite text passages and translate them if you guys want (if theres a demand for this)

anyway, go watch football now!!! ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
R8 is more safer car! It has better traction and is much, much easier to drive fast IMHO. Drive dynamics of R8 are excellent.

BUT, in direct comparison against 997 turbo there is no doubt at all-R8 is way slower!

Let me put it this way-on German autobahn R8 do not have any chance against 997 turbo.
Hey Kreso, appreciate all your hard work! R8's performance appears to be at C4S level. I agree it is no match for the turbo. Will you still get it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Kreso, appreciate all your hard work! R8's performance appears to be at C4S level. I agree it is no match for the turbo. Will you still get it?
Well, I order it so the answer is yes. But, if I had a chance to drive it before ordering it? Then the answer would be NO!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
R8 is not to be compared with turbo..

but compare it with normal 911 4CS then you will see that AUdi has made a wonderful piece of work.. i dont know how porsches are handling, but R8 was easy and lots of fun.. check my comments in the actual threads...

Kreso - i just read the article in the train on my way home.. your first comments shocked me.. but after reading AMS.. I did not find ONE SINGLE negative point in the authors text.. at the end in the summary, the weight is mentioned, but while he was throwing the car in to corners on a winding mountain road, he wront, weight was not to be mentioned...

if i got time i will pic some of my favourite text passages and translate them if you guys want (if theres a demand for this)

anyway, go watch football now!!! ;)
Chris,

R8 is not any faster then RS4. I got that feeling when I had a chance to drive R8... And AMS article is praising R8 indeed but, Chris numbers are low-R8 is slower then 997 Carrera S, 997 Carrera S(X51)...
It is only marginally faster then Cayman S!:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks a lot Kreso and Chris:)

What about the R8 V10? Do you guys think it is going to be in the 997 Turbo territory or what? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts

I'm sorry, but anyone who didnt see this coming.....:p
911TT- lighter, more HP and way more torque? Why wouldnt we think that the P'car would be faster in a straight line. The Porsche 911 Turbo is FASTER THAN nearly everything else on the PLANET!

I doubt anyone would complain about this car not being unbelievably sporting to drive! (maybe an F1 driver after a race would)

RB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts