Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the R8 will be fitted with a Tracker as standard, most high end car are either fitted or it is an option. Im sure im no the only one who would like one fitted to the car and i would prefer it to be done in the factory to make it as hard as possible for a theif to remove.:confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Does anyone know if the R8 will be fitted with a Tracker as standard, most high end car are either fitted or it is an option. Im sure im no the only one who would like one fitted to the car and i would prefer it to be done in the factory to make it as hard as possible for a theif to remove.:confused:
Do you mean a anti-theft GPS tracker? Then answer is no. Here in The Netherlands its not insurable without a tracker though!

·
Registered
617 Posts
My dealer did say that tracker options will be available but I think that this will be a dealer fitted option when the cars are PDI.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer did say that tracker options will be available but I think that this will be a dealer fitted option when the cars are PDI.
Shame these will not be fitted at the factory, also i have indicated i wanted a factory collection, so will that menai have to drive it back tot he UK without a Tracker??

I think my insurance will require the car to have it, most other Group 20 cars need trackers.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Shame these will not be fitted at the factory, also i have indicated i wanted a factory collection, so will that menai have to drive it back tot he UK without a Tracker??

I think my insurance will require the car to have it, most other Group 20 cars need trackers.
Good point re factory collection / fitted tracker.

May have a convoy of owners sleeping in the car on the hard shoulder on the way back :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Maybe if it is explained to the insurance company that you are collecting from the factory ... they will accept you driving it back from the factory to the UK on the day of collection ... providing that it is taken directly to the dealer for fitment of the tracker asap.

... or ...

If they will allow you to collect it from the factory ... they will insure you ... but will not pay out on any claim that involves the theft of the car ... including non payout as a result of any damage following the theft ... or as a result of the theft ... until after a tracker system is fitted and active.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Paul is correct

If a tracking unit (forget Tracker, its crap) is required, but not fitted, there is no theft cover.

It will be a very "nickable" car, and I think most insurers will insist on a tracking device.

They can be fitted by the tracking companies at yiour dealership, before delivery, or at your house or work.

I've done it both ways in the past, my dealer only too helpful to provide facilities for the installer to fit the unit.

If the installer is competent, you will not see anything at all.

The old Tracker unit is a waste of time. The police car needs to be equipped with a Tracker receiver to locate it. Much better to use a GPS based system, which gives position, speed, direction. It also works overseas (old Tracker system does not).

I've had my RS4 nicked and can testify how well Navtrack worked!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I want a tracker which I can also track myself. I'm not saying I don't trust my dealer, but it *is* the same place that services A2s... :)

I'd like it to datalog speeds, times and locations. I know there are systems that can do this, because I remember someone caught his dealer out taking his pride and joy for a 3-figure spin down a local dual carriageway!!!

Any recommendations? I'd like it to SMS me in the event of a problem, too :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, I have seen such systems. I think they are about £1,000 or so. If I can dig up the info, I'll send you a message.

These systems are different from an anti-theft tracking device. Your insurers will want a Thatcham approved device.

To do what you want, you would need to install an additional device yourself. You will also need a subscription or pay-as-you-go sim. It can SMS you various data, or if the data is fed into a laptop with mapping software, you can track the car on a map.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes, I have seen such systems. I think they are about £1,000 or so. If I can dig up the info, I'll send you a message.

These systems are different from an anti-theft tracking device. Your insurers will want a Thatcham approved device.

To do what you want, you would need to install an additional device yourself. You will also need a subscription or pay-as-you-go sim. It can SMS you various data, or if the data is fed into a laptop with mapping software, you can track the car on a map.
If you have any good recomendations for a tracker gps system, please start a new thread? I am sure that we are all interested in making the right choice.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just checking the spec in the online brochure:

http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/uk/Products/R8.Par.0003.File.pdf

A "Tracking Security System" is listed in the standard equipment. I hadn't spotted that before...
Nice spot ... but having been curious as to why I missed it ... I notice it does have ... "(details to be confirmed)" ... on the same line.

Which makes me wonder if they will offer a choice of tracker to be fitted ... put on one that is 'appropriate' for the factory to fit ... rather than one appropriate for insurance requirements ... :confused:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would hope they've been around long enough to know that in the UK it needs to be one suitable for the UK market and meet the requirements of the insurance cos. A good question for me to ask at Saturday's preview.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys, for digging that up. I have been worried ever since I first read this thread that there would be no tracker. My dad's Mercedes sends a message to Mercedes who then calls my dad letting him know that his car is being stolen if the alarm goes off, and I was hoping for something similar in the R8. It's great to know that there will be.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Spoke with the R8 team at the preview today. They confirmed that there will be a tracker device fitted to cars when they arrive in the UK but don't know yet which one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Spoke with the R8 team at the preview today. They confirmed that there will be a tracker device fitted to cars when they arrive in the UK but don't know yet which one.
Well ... lets hope the one they fit ... conforms to the latest Thatcham standard ... which insurers in the UK will no doubt insist on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a look in the brouchure and the tracking system is not mentioned, so that has been added to the list of standard equipment.

Has anybody else heard about the insurance groups in the uk are moving from 20 to 50 groups.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had a look in the brouchure and the tracking system is not mentioned, so that has been added to the list of standard equipment.
You're not wrong ... the version I saved last year from the website ... and the copy I got with my hardback book ... doesn't mention a tracker system in the standard equipment list ... although the latest version online does.
Has anybody else heard about the insurance groups in the uk are moving from 20 to 50 groups.
Thats a new one to me ... although it doesn't surprise me ... just another way of UK insurance companies getting even more money out of the motoring public.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts