Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Later this year I'm going to order either the brand new R8 V10 (my favorite) or facelifted 911 Turbo (which I will consider only if they add PDK to it).

I tried to find some torque/PS distribution charts on the net for R8 V10's 5.2 engine, however I couldn't find any. Maybe you have some?

I wonder what's the PS/nM at lower RPMs, like 2500-3500 RPMs. How the power/acceleration feels at lower speeds (think: driving in city, usually in 50-100km/h range), especially since I'm used to driving M3 and A5 with 3.0 TDI (which has plenty of torque - 500nM - right from 1,500 RPM, but I hate the turbo lag). Any hints how R8 V10 would feel for me?

Thanks in advance,
Maciej

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Should feel like the '06 Gallardo minus a few H.P.:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Engine spec attached, slightly different curve and from the Gallardo.

The first European V10 are only just appearing, so difficult to answer regarding how it feels to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know how much more the V10 weighs? I am sure the extra power will be very nice but if handling is more important than straight line acceleration, as it is to me, weight and distribution of that weight, both front/rear and up/down is at least as important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know how much more the V10 weighs? I am sure the extra power will be very nice but if handling is more important than straight line acceleration, as it is to me, weight and distribution of that weight, both front/rear and up/down is at least as important.
Hm, according to http://diabel.pl/R8.pdf, it weights 60kg more. On the other hand, there's way more options included 'by default' in the V10 version than in the V8 one, so maybe some of these options affect the weight.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It does weight 60 Kg more. V8 manual = 1560 kgs, V10 manual 1620 Kgs.

The V10 engine itself weights 31 Kg more than the V8. I guess you are correct on the V10 options (e.g. electric seats) making up the rest.

I think I saw a press release noting the weight distribution front/rear is only 2% different in the V10 compared to V8.

Anyway, on a track, I didn't notice any difference between the two.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Apparently the suspension has been uprated to cope with the extra weight anyway, and there was a previous post and drawing indicating that the engine has been extended towards the centre of the car anyway, giving marginally less room in the cabin.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Apparently the suspension has been uprated to cope with the extra weight anyway, and there was a previous post and drawing indicating that the engine has been extended towards the centre of the car anyway, giving marginally less room in the cabin.
Engine bay and the cabin are TOTALLY the SAME on both 4.2 FSI and 5.2 FSI.

There is an ERROR of drawings in Audi UK PDF Order Guide. Seats position is also the same on both engines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It does weight 60 Kg more. V8 manual = 1560 kgs, V10 manual 1620 Kgs.

The V10 engine itself weights 31 Kg more than the V8. I guess you are correct on the V10 options (e.g. electric seats) making up the rest.

I think I saw a press release noting the weight distribution front/rear is only 2% different in the V10 compared to V8.

Anyway, on a track, I didn't notice any difference between the two.

Could you elaborate on your track experience concerning the two models? thanks.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Isn't unusual that there isn't a bonafied Audi tech speaking up on this forum ? Is Audi telling the techs to keep their mouths shut ?? I have magnetik ride and I see the spring retainer is made in France ,The shock body is made in Poland...Does anyone know just how universal the parts are?? I have never had so many questins about a car as this one.Keeps me thinking though.An idle mind is the Devils' workshop . What is the correct torque distribution? I will probably get different answers.I would have thought the distribution was 50 /50...which seems better to me but I guess the front ends turning/steering changes that.There is a suspension lifting kit for people who have a hard time going up driveways.I am lucky I don't have to go that rout. Who has pics of the drawing in error? Maybe we haven't heard from R84ME or Desparado cuz' they purchased the Bently books and now have all the answers?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Riverflyer:

Sure, no problem. I have been on various tracks with a V8 - around 6 times in the past 2 years.

My only expeerience so far with V10 was at the UK V10 launch day last weekend at Silverstone which clocked up around 2 hours of track time and handling circuit time. Far from being cautious, the instructors urged us to push the car as far as our individual driving abilities allowed, to demonstrate the speed/handling/stability of the vehicle.

I did not notice any difference in handling or stability, but acceleration was in a different league. See thread on this from others who participated:-

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3036&highlight=launch

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
What is the correct torque distribution? I will probably get different answers.I would have thought the distribution was 50 /50...which seems better to me but I guess the front ends turning/steering changes that.
Harrison, you managed to squeeze 6 or 7 posts into one again. My brain hurts.

As for this question, are you sure you don't mean weight distribution? 50/50 is pretty good for weight but not torque. In a performance car there is not enough weight on the front wheels when accelerating to handle 50% of torque. The best distribution varies with weight distribution and power, but in a performance car 10-20% is usually plenty. Even if you drive a tractor I think they ideally put more power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You make sense.Sorry 'bout running questions together.I think I'll start keeping notes in a little book.Imagine ...my brain burns alot too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts