Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
What's the "Clubsport" ? How is it different? Lighter?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
You can click on the photo to read the article and see the other pictures. What I noticed (besides the front and rear aero) is the different vents at the side of the rear glass, and the "quattro Gmbh" license plate frame.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
What's the "Clubsport" ? How is it different? Lighter?
NOBODY, outside Audi apparently, knows any details for this car officially yet.
They press is calling it "Clubsport" because of similarities in outward changes to the TT with same name developed with bias toward track use and racing. But I don't think Audi has officially announced an "R8 Clubsport."

"Club" racing is far more prevalent and available in Europe than is North America IMHO, though perhaps even more expensive! Here we see a lot of "track days," but NOT a LOT of actual racing at the grassroots level. In Europe, I think these track biased factory tuner cars are popular with the well-heeled clients. As opposed to having to take your production car to the race tuner to get your roll cage, fuel tank mods, fire suppression, etc., etc.

There's a lot of speculation out there that this car is different in ways other than the obvious body differences (fixed wing spoiler, etc.). Since before this car was seen by the "spies," there was an unofficial comment out there from Audi that they were experimenting with a 2 WD version of the R8, possilby as a regular production car for customers (unlike the earlier winged, 2WD car, the "R8 LMS" GT3 car that has been doing so well in Euro GT3 this summer (won 24hr enduros @ N-ring & Spa).

I haven't seen any prices for the R8 LMS GT3 car, though they have been widely sold to private teams for GT3 level racing. What this car in the picture may be is a LESS EXPENSIVE "club racer" for the truly amateur GT4 or European Cup level of racing. The Audi TT, as well as the BMW M3, Aston Martin Vantage, Corvette C6 and a bunch of like cars are homologated for GT4 racing. This would be very close to a production R8 with light weight kit (no sound system, nav, fancy upholstery, ac, etc.,) and racing safety stuff.
I believe 4WD is banned in all the GT classes, thus the no 4WD.

I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well the TT has just received a fixed wing and been called the RS, so RS8?

I clearly have no idea, but is an RS type version of the R8 possible?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Even the Mini has a "Club": the Clubman!!! wat an ugly piece of automotive ...

out of topic... hmmm ...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts