1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think i've seen a grill without the black band through it on an R8 pic somewhere...not sure if these come on the car depending on which state their delivered to? Harrison has mentioned something about his before.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harrison?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was him :eek: Guess not looking at his pics...maybe he was just talking about the plate holder :confused: Anyway i'm pretty sure there is a full grill somewhere.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The V12 TDI prototype had a special grill which had no bar across the middle. http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/exp/progress/Concept_Vehicles/audi_r8_v12_tdi_concept.html

Usually from Audi, you find a Plate Delete grill, Euro Plate grill and a Front Plate Grill. All three of those will have the bar across the middle.

You will most likely need to go aftermarket to find a grill with no bar. Harrison has a PPI grill on his car, and it has a bar in the middle.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The V12 TDI prototype had a special grill which had no bar across the middle. http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/exp/progress/Concept_Vehicles/audi_r8_v12_tdi_concept.html

Usually from Audi, you find a Plate Delete grill, Euro Plate grill and a Front Plate Grill. All three of those will have the bar across the middle.

You will most likely need to go aftermarket to find a grill with no bar. Harrison has a PPI grill on his car, and it has a bar in the middle.
Looks like all grills have the bar across the center. I'll just go for one with no front plate holder.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I don't know about the EU, but you won't see an R8 (or anything else) sold (legally) in the US without that "bar". If you examine it, you will find that it is the (Federally required) bumper.

Designers have been so clever at hiding them lately (compared to those beams hung out in front and back from back in the old days), that many in the US have forgotten that we've had a "bumper law" for, what?, 25+ years in the US; they STILL have a "5 mph. crash std." in the regs., though they softened it to allow some kind of "minimal" damage level @ 5 mph into the barrier, instead of none; but it's still there!

when you read about "Federalizing" European imports from the '70's and '80's, and having to mod. them to "meet the crash standards," that doesn't ONLY refer to the 30 mph. "barrier crash"....there's also the 5 mph. crash std..

I believe, but I could be wrong about this, the reason we don't hear much about guys "Federalizing' after-market EU imports anymore is that they've got substantially the same standards in the EU now; they also have one we don't have (yet:rolleyes:) that deals with pedestrian protection and how the vehicle will strike (and throw) a pedestrian.....doesn't seem to me like there's ANY GOOD way, but I guess the belief in science conquers all:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: with prototypes, test and "show" cars, anything goes, but they CAN NOT sell them to unsuspecting John Q Public who might be injured or cause injury!!! they have to sign an agreement with the US Govt. when they bring them in that they'll export or destroy them within an agreed period of time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know about the EU, but you won't see an R8 (or anything else) sold (legally) in the US without that "bar". If you examine it, you will find that it is the (Federally required) bumper.

Designers have been so clever at hiding them lately (compared to those beams hung out in front and back from back in the old days), that many in the US have forgotten that we've had a "bumper law" for, what?, 25+ years in the US; they STILL have a "5 mph. crash std." in the regs., though they softened it to allow some kind of "minimal" damage level @ 5 mph into the barrier, instead of none; but it's still there!

when you read about "Federalizing" European imports from the '70's and '80's, and having to mod. them to "meet the crash standards," that doesn't ONLY refer to the 30 mph. "barrier crash"....there's also the 5 mph. crash std..

I believe, but I could be wrong about this, the reason we don't hear much about guys "Federalizing' after-market EU imports anymore is that they've got substantially the same standards in the EU now; they also have one we don't have (yet:rolleyes:) that deals with pedestrian protection and how the vehicle will strike (and throw) a pedestrian.....doesn't seem to me like there's ANY GOOD way, but I guess the belief in science conquers all:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: with prototypes, test and "show" cars, anything goes, but they CAN NOT sell them to unsuspecting John Q Public who might be injured or cause injury!!! they have to sign an agreement with the US Govt. when they bring them in that they'll export or destroy them within an agreed period of time.
This whole crash test, law, government thing makes sense.

R8s in Quebec had to have some sort of addition on the front bumper to make it legal (Audi salesman told me this at Audi Popular in Montreal). You can see some sort of plastic "bump" on each side of the bar going across the center.

http://citynoise.org/upload/28951.jpg

It was supposedly a DOT requirement; which is now removed.

ps: BTW, this is the douche who took 4 handicapped parking spaces to park his R8. A real douche of a douche, I waved at him from my R8 one day (I didn't know about this parking then) and he looked at me with a pissed off face why someone else drives an R8". :confused:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The car looks really nice like this. Wow and it is a GT3 too? The vent in hood makes me think this is. This is a REAL race car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The air probably goes in through the front grill and hits a hidden wing inside front trunk , before exiting out bonnet, requiring alot more downforce in rear...thus the BIG wing. I'll bet this thing sticks like glue.:) Could it give a Veyron a run for the money on a tight track ? Probably , but the Veyron would out accelerate in a straight quite easily. :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
A little tweaking to the Veyron would make it dominate everywhere. :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You already have MORE than enough power!! Maybe WIDER tires and suspension mods which would make the cars' top speed a little less(still VERY fast).Just thinking of modifying a Veyron is pretty rediculous. Use your Veyron for what it was intended and another RIDE for different intentions. From what I hear the Veyron dominates untill you do anything sudden at high speeds...Then look-out!! This is why n:)-:)ne is ragging on you for getting an R8 as a first car...It is just too safe, Except for the Abu Dabi dude whos' brother sliced his R8 in half a couple of years ago. He survived but he is messed up. See repost of pic at wrecked exotics. Too sad to post up at this forum AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
All I know is that I want to come see that Veyron when you get it to the states.

I'll be happy to drive where ever it is that you end up. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Will be atleast 6 weeks before my gf is allowed to fly (she's just had a head op) so will be after that when we're in the US. Hopefully will all be sorted out before the car show in January, if it is I'll be taking R8 she'll be taking the Veyron :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts