Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that the R8 V10 i previously spec'd will be available to purchase at list in August. In this market, take it or pass? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Depends on your situation and wants. If your finances are in order, have good job/income security and want one. I am sure it will be a nice car. I doubt that you could flip it to someone else and make a huge profit like people were doing a year or two ago.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
True, but with the low production volume, demand should keep the prices stable for a while. On the other hand if the base price comes out to 185k or so, as some are predicting, I will probably pass when my allocation comes up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You know your financial situation best. This is a question you should ask yourself. With the means and proper financial backing, go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I dunno, even if you can afford it, is it really worth the rumored price of 185k? The R8 is slightly overpriced as-is, but the price on the v10 (if true) is ridiculous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if i was unclear. The ability to purchase it is not the problem. The question is weather it makes any sense to pay full list for this car during these times. By way of example; the value of 09 R8s. Thanks

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
where has this 185k come from? is this £ or $?
US $'s

I think the $185K figure is a bit high, Would have to be fully loaded with some of the useless exclusive options. I played around on the UK configurater building one exactly like mine then converted, Price was about $165k, $30k more than mine cost. I canceled my order the other day, In the end it was not the price, It was what they offered me for my brand new 2009 R8, A little over $100k for a car I just paid $135k plus put another $3,500 into between K40, Lojack and Ventureshield. So in the end it sounds like Audi doesn't think these cars are worth the price they are selling them at. So I plan on taking some of that $65k I'm saving and mod my car With the weight saving of the V8 over the V10 we should be able to get close to the same perforance in time and thousands of dollars in mods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
US $'s

I think the $185K figure is a bit high, Would have to be fully loaded with some of the useless exclusive options. I played around on the UK configurater building one exactly like mine then converted, Price was about $165k, $30k more than mine cost. I canceled my order the other day, In the end it was not the price, It was what they offered me for my brand new 2009 R8, A little over $100k for a car I just paid $135k plus put another $3,500 into between K40, Lojack and Ventureshield. So in the end it sounds like Audi does think these cars are worth the price they are selling them at. So I plan on taking some of that $65k I'm saving and mod my car With the weight saving of the V8 over the V10 we should be able to get close to the same perforance in time and thousands of dollars in mods.
that's my point: 35K in 6 months! I see the V10 suffering a similar fate, if not worse. A 165k+ car in this economy that is competing with barely driven lambos and ferraris at the same price point? Seems like a gamble to say the least.

·
Registered
340 Posts
that's my point: 35K in 6 months! I see the V10 suffering a similar fate, if not worse. A 165k+ car in this economy that is competing with barely driven lambos and ferraris at the same price point? Seems like a gamble to say the least.
I agree. I would not get the V10 for the same reason you stated. For $165k to $175k neighborhood, I would rather get a low mileage Lambo or Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
At my recent dealer visit, I was putting down my "we're getting serious" deposit on a v8 at "msrp" with a build date of 7/6. The screen print of my order status clearly showed my order as for a 2010 model, and I expressed some concern about the fact that we didn't have pricing (still don't) set for the 2010's. I was reassured that they anticipated the 2010 price increase to be in the "modest" range. During that conversation, one of the mgrs. stated that he expected to see the v10 model's base price to be about $45k
over the v8. If he's correct, that would put it at just a shade under $160, based on 2009 prices. And of course it's much better equipped (per the 2010 order guide, which we do have) than the v8.

I passed on a v10 order slot, not because I couldn't afford it if I really wanted it, but because for me the v8 seems to offer a more "practical" over-the-road daily driver and road trip car in a country where the only real place you can relax and exploit the difference between the v8 and v10 is on the track...and at the "red light dragstrip" I suppose, if that's your thing. For me, as I've said on here before, I liken it to the choice between the small block and big block Cobras, back when you could buy one new and now when the real (non-replica) ones are precious jewels.

As far as the "money back" issue, it's going to be many, many years before you can turn an R8 at a profit, but ultimately the v10 WILL be the more desirable collector car because it will be much rarer.

If you just want to mark higher on the pole, it's probably not worth the money, because a bigger dog is ALWAYS going to be right behind you. But if you truly have an appreciation for the extra increment of performance, and a way to actually experience it other than just at stoplights, then I should think it's well worth the money.

This kind of car taste issue is so purely personal that all you can say is what does it for you.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. Very insightful. I currently own a 911 gt3rs. I see the v10 as a car between the rs and a 911 gt2. A nice balance. Yet, I believe the days of the over sticker hype may be gone forever. Perhaps even msrp. Thus, wondering if I should just wait and let the car take it's depreciation hit. If 1000 mile LP 560s are going for 60k off sticker, I can't see the Audi doing much better. That us the real dilemma. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Very insightful. I currently own a 911 gt3 rs. Respectfully, I don't see the v8 as a substantial change therefrom. The v10 on the other hand may just be spot on. Yet, buying it at list seems imprudent considering the state of affairs of the exotic car market and as another poster has pointed out, the r8 v8 in particular. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just cancelled my order. I had the V-8 and it's a great car, but at these prices, I'll take a lightly used Lambo, thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just cancelled my order. I had the V-8 and it's a great car, but at these prices, I'll take a lightly used Lambo, thanks.
"had"? You don't have your R8 anymore?

If you still do. Canceling your V10 order is not a bad idea. Why have 2 R8s in the same garage anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have decided not to go forward with the V10 Coupe but change my order to the V10 Spider.

I have heard reports from Audi Reps who saw the car at the factory(no mobile phones allowed) a few weeks ago.

Thay said it is one of the most beautiful cars they've seen.

I also quizzed Bev H audi uk, she did not deny or confirm?
production could start as early as next year.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thay said it is one of the most beautiful cars they've seen.
You're talking about the R8 V10? Is it that much different than the current R8?

I mean: different exhaust tail pipe shapes, different front grill and "broken lower part on side blades" (which I don't like) and minor little changes in interior. The rest is 100% the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts