Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Chassis Engineer
166 Posts
I have 160k miles on my VF supercharger. The only issue i have is the tensioner pully. It doesn't hold up, and I replace it every time I put a new belt on it. It's only $125, and worth it. Otherwise the squeak is very annoying.

I'll take some picks of the vents next time it's on the lift. I only have 1 3/4 inch ground clearence. They were done by Champion Motorsports in Pompano Beach, FL. A MUST for the track on that generation vehicle.

The manual V8 with the supercharger needs the heavier flywheel from the V10 manual transmission. Otherwise, on the street it's a freaking hot mess. Very unpleasant to drive. That was done by Audi of Pembroke Pines. I spun the main shaft of the transmission in two. Looked like it had been cut by a laser. Audi of America came out they wanted to be there when they opened the case. They agreed that there was defect in materials. They were going to pay for the whole shooting match. Then the lawyer got on the phone. Finalup shoot, they sold me a new transmission for cost ($4,500), and they paid the labor. I had them put the V10 flywheel and clutch in. Drops right in without any modifications. They did, however, make me sign a waiver. If you have a V8 manual snd are thinking about blowing the motor, get the heavier clutch/flywheel snd put it in at the same time. You know the labir sucks (8hrs in, 8 hrs out),and you ARE going to want it. I put a new transmission in at 145k miles. Audi says the lubrication is permanent. It's not! Now i flush after every track day. Audi no longer sells the transmission, do you have to buy it directly from Lamborghini. You know the frame is stamped with the rsging bull, right? Thus the Gallaudi moniker.

The 4.2 liter V8 is bulletproof motor. My RS6 was modified to 850hp. I put 250k+ miles on that car before my daughter put it into the wall. It's a shame that it's gone. Looking for a used Gumpart Apollo.
What HP is your supercharged V8 R8 making approximately? Do you ever run into cooling issues? Cooling system upgrades? Superchargers build a lot of heat. Looks like a very fun car for sure.

·
Chassis Engineer
166 Posts
Rather than "centerline" of the wheels, I do actually mean "center of gravity."

I have a set of Huracan wheels, with more aggressive offset then the Gen2 R8 OEM wheels - but same width, and they actually do have a different center of gravity than the Gen2 R8 OEM wheels.

Perhaps marginal, but it's there.
I understand. Even if a marginal improvement the the big tire around it will dominate that centrifugal moment arm on your suspension. But for all of the effects I mention they are based on the moment arm from the forces at the tire contact patch. The first change I had to tell to our car designer of the '05-'06 Ford GT (Camilo Pardo) was his beautiful zero offset wheels on the show car had to be changed to 52 mm in the front and 40 mm in the back to meet all of our chassis targets for a supercar (or any modern car for that matter). He was sad but understood when I explained the reasoning and why modern cars don't have deep dish wheels anymore. Granted people aren't going to that extreme, but 10 mm plus is significant for all of the reasons I mention.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Gotcha. You’re looking at the larger dynamic system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the rws 2018 r8 and a 2020 992 C2S.
the C2s is a tad more raw all around with rougher ride, tighter cabin and if you drive it at high rpm a total blast- a wildcat.
The R8 is more comfortable, and mild mannered until you push it- and getting closer to its limit, I am in awe of it. I like the naturally aspirated power as a whole versus the 911.
And the looks are more exotic than the 992. I like the in cabin sound of the V10 versus the Turbo 6. Just my preference.
I’d take my r8 everyday no doubt if I had to choice between the two. But the ying and the yang of the two are great and that’s why I have them both. Neither make me afraid- but that’s why I don’t have a Viper- I’m not man enough.
RF

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
This is an interesting thread for me as a veteran chassis / vehicle dynamics engineer. I am pretty sure I know what you mean - can you further define for you what is more "fun" in the 911 in most cases? Rear tires breaking loose on throttle, rear sliding, whole car sliding, feeling the road more (butt and steering wheel), or more of a "visceral" experience in feeling and sound (your last comments on "rawness" makes me think more about refinement and appealing to the senses)? or all of the above...sliding, finding and exceeding the edge of grip and visceral experience?

One other question - do you have an aftermarket exhaust on that v10?!
I suppose with the 911 you could feel more of the road. When the engine screamed it was still going at manageable speeds. It bobbed around a bit at speed, sounded raw and angry with the PSE. It felt very analogue.

The R8 is wonderful. It has a Jeckle and Hyde personality. To answer your other question, it has a Capristo exhaust and a Pedal box to tighten up throttle. The exhaust sound is genuinely one of the best I’ve heard on any car. The combination of those makes for a completely different beast.

I think it may be a 911 thing. They get under your skin!

On the other hand when I had the 911 I did hanker after more power sometimes. Like I said, the grass is always greener. The question is if I had both, which would I end up driving the most?

·
Chassis Engineer
166 Posts
Sorry missed this...OK, I get it. As far as feeling the road, feeling more analog, more confident at the limit, steering, handling and ride...Trev450 made a good point earlier - coil-overs. Good coil-overs like our Ohlins TTX adjustable set up called Street Performance. A great balance between the road and track. I am working on editing hours of video to post.

With the 6 speed manual, AWE exhaust, traction control off, Michelin PS4S's or PSC2's and our Ohlins TTX coil-overs the V10 R8 feels so good. Try our Ohlins setup...you won't be disappointed (and then ask yourself which would you drive more?). I maybe missed it...is your R8 manual?

All of these minor changes I note make the R8 remind me an awful lot of the also very analog '05-'06 Ford GT except for the R8 having much better power down, even better balance (weight distribution and CG height) and I like the R8 engine sound a lot better at 4,500 RPM to 8,500 RPM. For sure the right exhaust alone transforms the R8.

·
Registered
11 Posts
re: new exhaust. I just got a AWE Switchpath on my 2014 V10 and it went from sounding like a kitten to a lion. It sounds like a supercar now!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts