Audi R8 Forums banner

R8 V8 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

36K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  lakehood 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently joined the forum and bought a 2008 R8 V8 last week (Thursday) from a dealer in UK.

Today I have noticed something which is similar to what a couple of other members on here have experienced. I noticed the top right corner of the engine bay window steaming up. When I stopped the car, lots of steam started coming from the engine bay. Almost looked like the engine was on fire, but was not that type of smell. I opened the engine bay door and the steam reduced and then stopped. I could see it was coming mainly from the top right of the engine, near the coolant tank. I then noticed that there was liquid dripping out of the bottom/back of the coolant tank. This is what I believe is causing the steam, a coolant leak. In fact I've checked the coolant level at the end of today and it has gone from full to almost empty!

I'm going to call the car dealer tomorrow to explain the problem. It came with a third party warranty but it would be easier if the dealer just offered to cover the cost of the repair.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what I should expect in this type of issue? Is it simply just a coolant tank replacement? Approximate costs? Should I go to Audi main dealer or just get an independent audi garage to check it out and supply parts?

I've taken off the engine bay panel covering the coolant tank and can't see any visual damage/leaks, so I assume it's leaking from directly underneath the tank or from the pipes that go into the back of it.

Thanks
Andrew

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to the dealer and use your 3rd party warranty.

It is not the first time I have heard of leaking reservoir tanks and sometimes caps.

If your warranty company are not interested and you fancy a drive down to Gloucester, let me know and we can remedy the issue for you.

I hope the warranty company just get you back on the road ASAP.

Cheers Ricky

#4 ·
Same happened with me, I replaced the coolant tank since it was leaking on my V8 as well.

There's also a hose leak remained which the dealer said no issue since its dripping very little but will replace it later since its a backorder item :-(. I will post a pic later.

#5 ·
Just had mine replaced on my 2010 V10 with 18000 miles. Service adviser said he believes the new one is an improved design an Audi has fixed a known issue. I take that to mean a lot of us will be seeing this problem sooner or later. The good thing is I dropped the car off yesterday morning without an appointment (just showed up when they were about to open) and got my car back this afternoon. Part was overnighted from stock already in the country. Absolutely outstanding service and only $85 with my CPO warranty. Sunset is awesome.

#7 ·
When I started my car at the gym/spa, the others thought the back of the car was on fire. There was so much smoke coming from the exhaust it was unbelievable.

But no smell of smoke. Turns out it was close to 0C and with a lot of rain droplets inside the exhaust, it was like contrails from a jet exhaust, as soon as I started it. Our guess anyway. I did not see any other tell tale signs and the amount of this smoke/condensation is directly proportional to the level of precipitation in the air.

But Ricky knows best.

#8 ·
Just having the header tank on my 10 V10 (26k miles) replaced after it split along the seam yesterday.

#10 ·
Ricky, I've heard that replacement one have been modified to make them more robust. Do you know if this is the case?

#12 ·
Thanks Ricky. Hopefully that will be the first and last time I need to replace it then.

#15 ·
Just checked.
Expansion test is leaking under pressure from the middle, i need to change it.
Audi Recall is not useful, they just put a latch on the tank to reduce the plastic expansion under pressure but if the plastic cracks due to heat and aging the latch can do few or nothing.

#16 ·
I had a similar issue with mine last year. The original split before the recall and when it went in later in the year for the recall itself, they replaced the tank with a 'later' version together with the band that goes around it.

#18 ·
My car just went in for a service and I let them know I'd been seeing the dreaded fogging in the top of the engine bay behind the driver side (I'm RHD). Sure enough, tank is leaking! They'd done the bracket already last year, so need a new tank. They quoted about $600USD for the part alone (yeow!) so I've just ordered the gen2 one for 75 Euro shipped. Will report back on how it all mounts when it gets here!

#19 ·
There is not an updated part number as it's not superceded it's just replaced.

As in the tank manufacturer do not make the old tank anymore just the new one.

$600 dollar for the tank is laughable.

I supplied a new tank and bracket to a member in USA for much much less including shipping.

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Hi folks - FYI my '07 V8 did have the re enforcement work done in mid 2017 - and over the weekend, the tank failed and caused a pretty extensive leak - imagine because the flawed part was just able to deal with that bit more pressure before letting go. The main dealer garage who did the re-enforcement work in 2017 are currently investigating - but confirmed that the tank had failed. I will post Audi's reaction (either Audi UK, or what the specific garage decides to do).

#21 ·
This is the first time I have heard of a 'modified' one failing. Please keep us updated as to how Audi address this.

#22 ·
Audi have decided not to provide any support or goodwill on this, which I find very disappointing - as would anyone. When a manufacturer goes out of their way to modify a component because of a known failure, for me, it's on the manufacturer to resolve the issue, especially if the failure occurs less than 2 years after that 'modification' is performed (by Audi). I really want the car back for this weekend so I guess I'm stuck with the bill. I may continue to push the issue after the fact though - feeling a little let down.

#23 ·
Sorry to hear this. Disgraceful response from Audi. They modify a component because it is prone to failing, and guess what, the modified one fails as well but they won't acknowledge fault. Unbelievable.

#27 ·
Mine was deffo reinforced (work was done in 2017 by Reading Audi), which let go in a cloud of white steam. Coolant all over the engine bay and on the exhaust. Quite the sight through rear view mirror. New bottle and strap fitted. Part nos 420121403 (bottle) and 420121263 (strap).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to mine shortly after I bought it! Mine had like 72k miles on it. I was on a cruise with some friends and had this happen. It was bad enough that I stopped right away, embarrassed with my new car problems, lol. Apparently what had happened is the coolant tank just cracked at one of the seams, so only when the coolant was hot was it leaking from it.

I let the car cool down and was able to limp it over to a nearby german shop, and they replaced it for like $400 for me out the door. They said it's quite common. And really, it's pretty minor as far as things go! I don't believe they put a re-enforced one in its place, like you guys are talking about, unless just all of the new tanks are? Anyway, it's been no problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.