Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an experience at a car meet up the other day and though it was funny, I was wondering how many of you have had the same experience...

So I was at a car meet up where there were mostly McLaren's, Ferrari's, a few Porsche Turbos and a few AMG Mercedes..... I came rolling in and because of the exhaust and cool black color (h ah haha) some of the younger photographer types (YouTuber's or whatever) came over before I even got out and were eyballing the car and looked at excited....

Then as i was exiting the car, one foot out, one guy said to another, "is it a v10?!" with excitement.... ha hahah... and his answer was, " naw, it's just a v8" with a clear sound of disappointment in his voice and the other guy was like, "ahw, oh well".... No pics taken, even though they were excited and ready.

I looked at my wife and said, (laughing) well, at least they could have waited until they were far enough away for me not to hear or before I opened the door... h ahahhahaha

So... just wondering if you get that total "awh bummer, it's not a v10" experience when you go out...

Reactions: Andy R8 and NYG

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
While I'm not your target here (V8 owner), I'll share a related and incredibly funny story - shared on the forum years ago when it happened...

I was out for a drive and stopped at a gas station to fill up. From across the gas station - diagonal and in another isle of pumps - a seriously old lady shouted out to me, "Whoa a V10!! A V10!" I didn't know whether to hide in embarrassment or laugh. She was drawing so much attention that the guy next to me came over and had to start taking a look for himself, but the source of enthusiasm (and perhaps some of the MOST enthusiasm I've ever gotten for the car) came from the most unlikely source.

Related to the engine size again - back in 2015 I was out and had to make a quick pit stop at a store. This was one of the very few times I stopped and parked the car somewhere. It was literally five minutes in and out. But in that short period of time, it managed to draw the attention of two young guys who I found gawking at the car and circling it in the parking lot. As I came over, they chatted me up. When one of them caught a glimpse of the V10, he said, "Wow - I didn't know the R8 had a V10!" Haha.

SO.... two funny stories (both somewhere in the archives of my posts on this forum)... but it goes to show you that an OLD LADY was the most enthusiastic about my engine size, and two guys in their 20's didn't even know the V10 was an option on the R8 - thought they were all V8s and loved it just the same.

Anyone who's going to be disappointed by seeing ANY R8 needs to poke his eyes out with a stick. :)

• Haha
Reactions: NYG and ExpertRanch

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
649 Posts
The V8 is on par with (or more powerful than) every naturally aspirated Porsche and Ferrari of the era.

Do people walk up to Porsche GT owners and say ”oh…it’s not an RS.”

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
62 Posts
This one time I was approaching a tunnel, when I saw a guy a few cars up wave me up and asked me to gun it through the tunnel, so I did (I have a loud ass exhaust).

We get to the next stop light and he's got a huge smile on his face and then asks me "is that a v10?" And I replied, no just a v8, then he asked "is it a manual", and I replied, no its a stronic... but it's still a really fun car!

Then he says "oh, sounds good either way" and I say enjoy your day.

Then my wife pats me on thw back and says "it's okay babe"

This other time a guy stopped me and commented the v8 stronic was his favorite spec.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one time I was approaching a tunnel, when I saw a guy a few cars up wave me up and asked me to gun it through the tunnel, so I did (I have a loud ass exhaust).

We get to the next stop light and he's got a huge smile on his face and then asks me "is that a v10?" And I replied, no just a v8, then he asked "is it a manual", and I replied, no its a stronic... but it's still a really fun car!

Then he says "oh, sounds good either way" and I say enjoy your day.

Then my wife pats me on thw back and says "it's okay babe"

This other time a guy stopped me and commented the v8 stronic was his favorite spec.
That almost exact thing happened to me last weekend. I was on the highway on my way to the event where I was responsible for bumming some guys out (for not being a V10..hahahh ) anyway, some guy in a truck with fishing decals all over it, gives my wife a thumbs up and gestures to her to have me rev it. Well, I also have a loud exhaust and didn't want to rev it staning still, so when traffic (yes on the highway in California) let up.. I waited just long enough so I could get some revs up going by him (he was in the lane to my right).... I did, he got a huge grin and I thought we were done...

Then he gestures to my wife that he wants to film it. The problem is we are in TRAFFIC and it's really hard to hit revs because traffic is so slow, I'll have to put the R8 brakes to the test, which I did not want to do for the revs.. Anyway, an opening happened in front of me and also in front of him, so I thought, I think I can make it past him in my lane and then switch to his lane... I should be able to give him some revs, but I don't think I will be able to shift (I always drive in paddle mode).... sure enough, in 2nd gear I was approaching at 6500 rpms, screaming perfect, but if I shifted, it would be right in next to him and there isn't enough space to hit 3rd and whine it out... so I figured I'd just keep it in 2nd and give him 8000 rpms...

Well, just as I passed him, I hit the rev limiter (not exactly sure what the revs were because I was navigating traffic)... but if you've ever hit it, the car basically shuts down so you don't blow it up! ah haahaha... so I looked like a complete moron on film... I tried to shift, but exactly at the moment I hit the paddle to hit 3rd gear, the rev limiter hit again and I looked like an epileptic R8 .. h ahhahaah... I laughed buy was also embarrassed that I tried to make something happen that really wouldn't happen.

Oh, the humiliation we endure for the pleasure of others.. ha haha

• Haha
Reactions: Trev450 and ezmaass

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also not a V8 R8 here but I like you Expert so I'll participate.

I think most of the V10 excitement just comes from either the rarity of the engine layout or someone is an early 2000s F1 fan and thinks they're similar.

Any sensible person knows the V8 R8 slaps hard.
I agree... I even like the v10 sound better.. and I love watching F1 (only a current or recent fan though). That's why I laugh.... because I can't blame them, it's just that I have a little more social grace, so I wouldn't show my disappointment, especially at a car show... For example, I really don't think the Lambo Gallardo is all that spectacular (I know it was in it's day, but at this point, the Huracan and Aventadore, in my personal opinion are much cooler), but I would never comment to my wife at a car show...Awe...it's only a Gallardo... ha hahahah .. especially after running up to it with my camera and happy face...only to be ultra bummed out.. ha hahahha

Reactions: NYG and Arrrrr8

·
Registered
4 Posts
The V8 is on par with (or more powerful than) every naturally aspirated Porsche and Ferrari of the era.

Do people walk up to Porsche GT owners and say ”oh…it’s not an RS.”
Maybe on paper, but I think every 997 Porsche, even the base model, spanks it in performance. I don't think people get excited about 997 base/S/GTS trims either, but if someone pulled up with a GT3 I'd definitely be excited. Probably the same with R8.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree... I even like the v10 sound better.. and I love watching F1 (only a current or recent fan though). That's why I laugh.... because I can't blame them, it's just that I have a little more social grace, so I wouldn't show my disappointment, especially at a car show... For example, I really don't think the Lambo Gallardo is all that spectacular (I know it was in it's day, but at this point, the Huracan and Aventadore, in my personal opinion are much cooler), but I would never comment to my wife at a car show...Awe...it's only a Gallardo... ha hahahah .. especially after running up to it with my camera and happy face...only to be ultra bummed out.. ha hahahha
People are overwhelmingly socially awkward these days.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
649 Posts
Maybe on paper, but I think every 997 Porsche, even the base model, spanks it in performance.
The 997.2 911S and the R8 V8 are about as closely matched as possible. The PDK transmission is the only difference giving the 911S a slight advantage vs. the R-tronic. If they were both manuals, the R8 would probably have the slight advantage.

I completely agree that base models tend to be overlooked - more so than they should be. It’s that hedonic cycle of continually chasing the next best thing that keeps selling ever more expensive variants, many of which are not dramatically different than the last.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I have been a member of this wonderful forum since I placed my order for a 2015 gated V8 R8 in December of 2014. Prior to placing my order I had the opportunity to drive both V8 and V10 examples. While the V10 was somewhat faster I chose to purchase the V8. I was drawn to it’s purity of design, balance and the “old school” sound of the four cam, dry sump 430 hp V8 engine. Regardless of engine type these are great cars and in gated form, the last of the breed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts