Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 R8 V8
309 Posts
I had an experience at a car meet up the other day and though it was funny, I was wondering how many of you have had the same experience...

So I was at a car meet up where there were mostly McLaren's, Ferrari's, a few Porsche Turbos and a few AMG Mercedes..... I came rolling in and because of the exhaust and cool black color (h ah haha) some of the younger photographer types (YouTuber's or whatever) came over before I even got out and were eyballing the car and looked at excited....

Then as i was exiting the car, one foot out, one guy said to another, "is it a v10?!" with excitement.... ha hahah... and his answer was, " naw, it's just a v8" with a clear sound of disappointment in his voice and the other guy was like, "ahw, oh well".... No pics taken, even though they were excited and ready.

I looked at my wife and said, (laughing) well, at least they could have waited until they were far enough away for me not to hear or before I opened the door... h ahahhahaha

So... just wondering if you get that total "awh bummer, it's not a v10" experience when you go out...
doesn't faze me in the least.
V 10 = GREAT and clearly wins the biggest swinging "member" contest.

V 8 = dynamically better all other things equal.

Recent EVO mag 10 best list had a V8 R8 on the list, but no V 10. They drive more cars than we do.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Recent EVO mag 10 best list had a V8 R8 on the list, but no V 10. They drive more cars than we do.
It's going to be interesting to see where this all is in 10 years. No doubt, the V10 is awesome at many levels, but we frequently see the collector market shift away from out right performance to other criteria down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I think the V8 has a few things going for it when it comes to collectors:

- The original R8 was the V8. Originality is a big thing with collectors, so a first year (07 or 08) V8 manual with very low mileage is going to be sought after. Next up, I'd say Larry's 2015 (final production year) V8 manual with 1,400 miles is going to be next to perfection for any collector.

- The V8 represents the car's original design best. As I've said before, it's the cleanest and prettiest.

The V10 also has its own stuff going for it:

- While V8s are far more common in the automotive world, a V10 is an exotic engine configuration. With ICE going away, the modern classics with exotic engines will be interesting to many - collectors and drivers, alike.

- The V10 is obviously more powerful, and there's certainly a long history of collectors and drivers, alike, seeking out the high-performance variants.

Truth be told, a really well heeled collector will just buy both. :) As for mine, since it won't be sold, I'm going to continue to be its "collector" indefinitely!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I could go back in time to 2017 and do it all again... I had three options. I could have gotten a v8 manual with 5k miles, a v10 stronic or my v8 stronic. I never looked for a v10 manual as I wanted the v8 from the start.

I would make the exact same decision I made back then which was my v8 stronic. I'm curious if most v8 buyers who had both options are still happy they got the v8. Is it just the guys who didn't want to put out a bit more cash for the v10 that now regret it?

·
Registered
‘08 Gated
28 Posts
I had an experience at a car meet up the other day and though it was funny, I was wondering how many of you have had the same experience...

So I was at a car meet up where there were mostly McLaren's, Ferrari's, a few Porsche Turbos and a few AMG Mercedes..... I came rolling in and because of the exhaust and cool black color (h ah haha) some of the younger photographer types (YouTuber's or whatever) came over before I even got out and were eyballing the car and looked at excited....

Then as i was exiting the car, one foot out, one guy said to another, "is it a v10?!" with excitement.... ha hahah... and his answer was, " naw, it's just a v8" with a clear sound of disappointment in his voice and the other guy was like, "ahw, oh well".... No pics taken, even though they were excited and ready.

I looked at my wife and said, (laughing) well, at least they could have waited until they were far enough away for me not to hear or before I opened the door... h ahahhahaha

So... just wondering if you get that total "awh bummer, it's not a v10" experience when you go out...
lol! I had a similar experience a few months back while driving. A group of young kids walked by while I was stopped at a light and had almost the exact same question and response. I just laughed as well haha. All in good fun!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm curious if most v8 buyers who had both options are still happy they got the v8.
No regrets from this V8 owner. It's fun to banter about them and V8 versus V10, but nothing more to it. I'd buy my V8 again. If there had been the right V10 at the right price for me at the time I was looking, that would have worked too. Either way, you really can't go wrong. Seriously, are there V8 owners out there who don't find themselves smiling every time they drive it? I sure do! Just sitting her writing about it makes me smile. What's not to love? It's a great car.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've said this before but I wouldn't mind if my car was a bit slower. I love slow manual transmission station wagons (I now have two of them) because it's fun to drive a slow car fast. When I spent the day driving the 488 the other week, it was way too fast. 160mph on an on ramp is just too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Back in the ancient pre V10 days..............
It's May of 2009, and I had just picked up my one off 2008 gated MT6 V8 R8 in Raleigh, and I am driving on on I40 through NC to TN. I had to duck into a couple of rest stops to get iPhone hounds staying too close to me. But the best part was pulling into a fast food joint to get lunch & use the bathroom. Naturally, I parked as far away as possible from the restaurant. Before I could get out of the car, two guys are leaning over the rear ogling the motor in another iPhone frenzy, when one of them looking right down at the motor asks, "has it got a V8 ?" to which I replied, No, its got six squirrels in a cage, and they're real hungry. I gotta get them something to eat".....................🤣😂🤣😳

·
Registered
53 Posts
The V8 handles better. The sometimes perceived lack of power has been addressed with a vf supercharger and a v10 clutch and a quicksilver exhaust for sound. Now my manual v8 is faster than the stock v10 of the same year and sounds and handles better too. Win Win Win.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really enjoy my V8 R8. I'm sure I would smile just as much when I get home at the end of the day and open the side door to my garage to take a look at it if it was a V10. And maybe the grin would be a bit bigger when I drive it, but it suits me fine and would buy one again. Maybe one day get a VF supercharger, but that's for another day.

·
Registered
2011 V10. Lava Gray with Audi Exclusive peanut butter interior and body color side blade
13 Posts
When I started my online search for a R8, I was only looking at the V8. My wife was searching as well. She found a car the next state over in a color combination she liked. I said, "but that's a V10. We don't need a V10". She replied "I don't care, that's the color I want". Ok then...V10 it is.

·
Registered
14 R8 V8
309 Posts
I've said this before but I wouldn't mind if my car was a bit slower. I love slow manual transmission station wagons (I now have two of them) because it's fun to drive a slow car fast. When I spent the day driving the 488 the other week, it was way too fast. 160mph on an on ramp is just too much.
Not all that slow, but certainly not quick.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
63 Posts
<--- Gated manual V8. I went into the search initially wanting a V10, but upon endless research, realized I want to try and keep this as a part of the "forever" stable. I was worried that the eventual cost of V10 parts would be cost prohibitive to really stacking miles on the car. I also realized that IMO, a valved titanium exhaust (armytrix in my case) sounds soooo much better than the V10. I enjoyed a lambo inspired V10 with my two Gen 5 Vipers, and with this venture, wanted more balance in the car itself and an eventual SC/TT build when it doesnt need to pass smog will be refreshing. Car only had 17k Miles when I bought it, and currently sits as a unicorn. Every show I actually bother to turn up to, people freak at the manual transmission and exhaust note.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if they cant tell does it matter? I just smile...
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Im RichieRightNow on Instagram btw... lots of pics there. Cars currently in restoration mode as I felt it was a bit to rough.... new, everything. :p New AC, clutch/press/throwout, Brakes, axles, both water pumps, starter, all O rings and gaskets on the engines backside... New timing gear /guides, head and intake work, ecu, all new gaskets and so on, basically a new car.
Everything up front is done already. I use Air Ride (took a bit but I love it), titanium exhaust, tuned, ported etc etc. Its been a fun car and I drive it.
I ran the GoldRush rally this summer, had a few bugs though. Caught a rock in a condenser up front at our track day, lost all my ac fluids and cascaded from there... hence the engine out rebuild. It wasnt broke broke, just preventive maintenance now since its engine is out anyways for a new AC compressor.

No frame cracks and such, check it every 6 months or so. I do track day it once in a while - oh its a 2009 gated 6 too. I wish I knew how many gated 6 speeds V8s and then gated V10s were sold in the U.S.A. not just total productions numbers.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
23 Posts
No regrets from this V8 owner................Seriously, are there V8 owners out there who don't find themselves smiling every time they drive it? I sure do! Just sitting her writing about it makes me smile. What's not to love? It's a great car.
I didn't buy my car to appease other people, I bought my car because it makes me smile and that's all that matters. It's the nostalgia for me, since the car came with the V8 originally. That's what I wanted, and gated!

Had a neighbor stop over and he asked the question as well....but as soon as he saw it was gated, that's all that mattered to him.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts