Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R8 V8 RTronic
76 Posts
It’s certainly the most common question I get asked. Is it the V10? Always makes me a little sad. But hey if someone is asking about your car they obviously like it either way.
I have the same thoughts when seeing 718 cayman/boxster as it’s a 4 cyl not 6. So it’s horses for courses I guess.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
As a teenager I was lucky enough to custom order a 1967 Corvette convertible. I specified the 327/350 HP rather than one of the 427 options for two reasons. I felt that the 327 version was not only better balanced but was also much cleaner appearing than the 427 with it’s hood scoop. Today of course the 427 versions are not surprisingly more valuable. When I custom ordered my gaited 2015 R8, I again discovered that I found myself drawn to the smaller engined version. I was attracted to the V8’s arguably cleaner lines and beautifully balanced chassis. Like the 427 C2 Corvettes the V10 Gen 1’s are commanding higher selling prices.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Speedometer White Gear shift

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I'm convinced that Larry will one day get a call from Audi asking to buy his R8... I'm positive there's not a cleaner, more pure example out there to put in a museum!

I love the V10... which is why I bought it... and I'd do the same today as I did 8 years ago. BUT, the V8 is the more pure of the two cars, without a doubt. The design is more sleek - little things like the flush sideblades and rocker panels just make it cleaner and less fussy. It's also how the car originally debuted, which may mean less to a driver today, but it's important historically.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 997.2 911S and the R8 V8 are about as closely matched as possible. The PDK transmission is the only difference giving the 911S a slight advantage vs. the R-tronic. If they were both manuals, the R8 would probably have the slight advantage.

I completely agree that base models tend to be overlooked - more so than they should be. It’s that hedonic cycle of continually chasing the next best thing that keeps selling ever more expensive variants, many of which are not dramatically different than the last.

Thats a 991.1 in the picture... not a 997S

41 - 45 of 45 Posts