Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I have a 2008 v8 4.2L R-tronic r8 and the problem is my fuel gauge was nearly full then i switched off the car went to my house to bring some stuff and switch on the car and the fuel gauge is on Empty plus the fuel signal is turned on !! Whats the problem with the car and is it ok to drive ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone please?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would suggest you have a dodgy fuel sensor which is not reading correct fuel level. Ok to drive if you are sure you have fuel in car and get it checked out ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I have had similar issues. If you over fill the tank you stand a chance of the fuel gauge and empty warning light not working properly until the gauge and light are replaced. This is expensive without warranty.

My gauge showed over 1/4th tank when the tank was EMPTY. I ran out of gas in the rain in the boonies. The warning light and the gauge both stopped working when the tank was topped up to the maximum. I wanted to go further on the tank of gasoline. What a mistake that was for me. I was in WY when this happened. I drove to Reno and they could not repair it. I drove to Sacramento and they could not repair it. I drove to the bay area and they told me it would be three weeks to get the parts and a week to install. My dealer in MN ordered the parts. It took four weeks to get in and two days to install. My solution during the trip was to not drive more than 200 miles before refilling. My track time refilling was every two sessions rather than every three sessions.

Good luck with your gauge.

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
And mngolfer was one sad guy that evening...

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Hello,

First off I would check the basics.

The wiring and dash panel insert would need to be checked first, I would go through that with a fine tooth comb as replacing the fuel level senders on these is like the worst job ever!

Shame you are so far away as I could help you diagnose it.

If I can offer any further advice, please let me know.

Kind regards Ricky

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys .. So I switched off the battery reset it again .. And guess what?! The fuel gauge return back to normal ! Lol but the suspension and traction control signals turned on !! Solve a problem and went to another one !
What's wrong with the car ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had similar issues. If you over fill the tank you stand a chance of the fuel gauge and empty warning light not working properly until the gauge and light are replaced. This is expensive without warranty.

My gauge showed over 1/4th tank when the tank was EMPTY. I ran out of gas in the rain in the boonies. The warning light and the gauge both stopped working when the tank was topped up to the maximum. I wanted to go further on the tank of gasoline. What a mistake that was for me. I was in WY when this happened. I drove to Reno and they could not repair it. I drove to Sacramento and they could not repair it. I drove to the bay area and they told me it would be three weeks to get the parts and a week to install. My dealer in MN ordered the parts. It took four weeks to get in and two days to install. My solution during the trip was to not drive more than 200 miles before refilling. My track time refilling was every two sessions rather than every three sessions.

Good luck with your gauge.
I think I might have the same issue... My fuel indicator showed ~1/4 when it was actually nearly empty (75l tank, 2008 v8 manual). At first i thought that at the last service they changed my tank in the ECU to 90l, turned out that they did, they put it back to 75l but nothing changed. Went back to audi service again and they calibrated the fuel plotters? I've been driving home from Audi for about 1 hour and now it still says it has a full tank. It actually started with 420km left to drive and when i got home it said 440km left.

What did they do to fix your issue?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thankfully never had that issue, but I do not overfill the tank and I reset the odometer after each fill up as a backup.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Filling it to the very top so you can get a "full" tank is how. When driving over 400 miles I wanted to go as far as possible without refueling. Not anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys,

facing the same issue with my 2008 V8. it first started after my 10 year service early 2019 when taking back my car and seeing that the needle is on empty. I complained to my car manager, thinking that they have taken my car on a joy ride and emptied the fuel tank as I was sure it had 1/2 a tank when I took it into the Audi dealership for my routine yearly maintenance. Since the covid lock down (I have not been driving the car much), I have been facing the same issue on and off. But for the past 4 weeks (driving the car 4 times), the issue has been permanent. Is it worth addressing the issue with the dealership, or shall I ignore it for now? I heard someone mention detaching the battery then plugging it right back, any idea if that helps? Thanks!

OT
4.2 V8 fsi (2008), QuickSilver Exhaust Titan SuperSport

1 - 15 of 15 Posts