Audi R8 Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you plan to daily drive the car or hit the autobahn i would say watercooling the turbos is important otherwise many aftermarket turbos hold up just find without being watercooled.Also many of these cars TT are not driven that much to make it important to do so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are Comp oil-less (3.0 version) 64/70 .82 A/R which have zerk fittings on the center sections that you squirt their custom grease into every 3k miles and are also water cooled (via engine coolant in my case).

https://www.compturbotechnology.com/our-ct-r-line

Yea ~750 is pretty fun. I wouldn't call it a rocket, I hang out with a bunch of UGR guys making ~1100 on pump and 1300 on race gas so...
Ok so ive been geeking out on these turbos and man i had no idea you could get oil less turbos! very very cool and i must say a very nice solution to the oil supply return issue :)

I guess rocket is a relevant term then in your case lol must be crazy driving about on your own, minding your business with 750 on tap ready to lunch anything you come across, then you hang out with the UGR boys and yours is the slowest in the pack lol still tho i bet it always puts smiles on the dial and thats all that matters :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
My heat exchanger is in the front grill and my intercooler tank is in the frunk. I have one pump circulating from the tank to the intercoolers and back to the tank, and one pump making the short run from the tank to the HX and back. That way the water doesn't need to make a full trip from the front to the rear and back to cool off.
That makes alot of sense dude and makes great use of the frunk :) so you've T'd in to the system in the rear to provide supply and return on the turbos?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you plan to daily drive the car or hit the autobahn i would say watercooling the turbos is important otherwise many aftermarket turbos hold up just find without being watercooled.Also many of these cars TT are not driven that much to make it important to do so.
that makes sense dude and i guess if your doing alot of long runs holding boost then its important if not then it could be ok. i think for the longevity etc i will do a system to include the water cooling but great to know its not a must have :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
That makes alot of sense dude and makes great use of the frunk :) so you've T'd in to the system in the rear to provide supply and return on the turbos?
Engine coolant cools the turbo center sections and a separate system cools the intercoolers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Precision turbos are not water cooled and i ran my original turbo kit for near 20k miles on them without any issues. Just need to be mindful of letting the car cool down a bit after a hot pass before turning off. I have customers who run the autobahn near 300kmh for periods at a time i think then i might want to plumb it in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
That makes alot of sense dude and makes great use of the frunk
so you've T'd in to the system in the rear to provide supply and return on the turbos?
Engine coolant cools the turbo center sections and a separate system cools the intercoolers.
The interesting thing is Where they took the water from to the turbos??? Because you need circulation after turning the car off otherwise the water starts to boil in the center and creates pressure in the coolingsystem that can caus damage?? Anyone who knows the answer??

·
Registered
27 Posts
The interesting thing is Where they took the water from to the turbos??? Because you need circulation after turning the car off otherwise the water starts to boil in the center and creates pressure in the coolingsystem that can caus damage?? Anyone who knows the answer??
Yes this would be great to know as we need to keep this water moving and not sit boiling the turbos off. Maybe an external electric pump in the system to run closed loop coolant sensor or timer to run until the turbos are chilling? like an old school turbo timer but coolant only ?1

121 - 131 of 131 Posts