Votes: 14 93.3%
  • None, no one is interested in your projects

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, after the side blade mesh I have two more projects that I'm going to do and one I am not going to do but have done.

1. Honeycomb V10 Intake Mesh for V8 (done)
2. Wide Body kit (may buy one, still unsure)
3. Twin Turbo kit (and I will tune it myself - probably switch ECU to Syvecs (Audi R8 Gen1 (V8) – S12 – Syvecs Powertrain Control)
4. Air set up (going to have done - I've decided if i went to the track, it would be so infrequent. If I did it, I would just take lessons to understand how to drive my car better)

So that leaves the choice of wide body kit or turbo kit... trying to decide which project to do... as always, when I'm done, it will be commercially available.

So the choice is between 2 and 3 above... what say you?

Reactions: NYG

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turbo kit without a doubt.
Could gain some insight from you I'm sure! Did you use Syvecs ECU or just bust open the Stock Bosch ECU?
By the way, any news on your install. I'm sitting here like a proud dad waiting for his kids to perform! NO one has installed them yet!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Could gain some insight from you I'm sure! Did you use Syvecs ECU or just bust open the Stock Bosch ECU?
By the way, any news on your install. I'm sitting here like a proud dad waiting for his kids to perform! NO one has installed them yet!
I did not use the Syvecs, but only because you cannot get your car inspected with the Syvecs installed here in NY. I am on stock ECU flash... There is a guy in Cali that will build it for you, but he will only build it if you are willing to put down 1000 hp!!!!!

I am hoping to install all of my parts this weekend-early next week.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not use the Syvecs, but only because you cannot get your car inspected with the Syvecs installed here in NY. I am on stock ECU flash... There is a guy in Cali that will build it for you, but he will only build it if you are willing to put down 1000 hp!!!!!
I am a certified tuner, so tuning is not an issue. Also same issue here as in NY... can't get it inspected with non stock ECU, so I'll just save that one. I will probably build a bypass flow set up and add a 0 map. So I can get it inspected with the stock ECU. I don't know how good they look at your exhaust, I mean you can't really see the exhaust when it's all buttoned up and where you can see through the back, I may just use black heat shield (all part of the kit :cool: ). Also I don't know how the ECU will like being taken out and replaced. I mean I can clear any code, but they may have something more substantial in there as far as anti-tampering.

I am hoping to install all of my parts this weekend-early next week.
Well, when you do, please post pics and REMEMBER, that red automotive tape is STICKY, so just peel a corner (lowest and closest to you, easiest access) and wait until your install is almost complete (just last lower side blade bolt left) before you pull the tape (I did it with needle nose pliers since I left a corner up for grabbing). It's all in the videos but that could be a major problem in that it's so sticky it if you did it too early and it stuck in the wrong place, pulling it off could break the part. I know you're a detail guy and would figure all that out on your own, but I have a 17 yr old son that doesn't listen to me, so I'm trained to repeat ad infinitum.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd say turbo. But I always hear they break but then people tell me I am an idiot for saying that. But the car is so beautiful that I think turbo is better idea. I'm interested to see what you do.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm getting set up for the turbo route. Kind of excited. I will be wide bodying it as well, but I think after the turbo situation. Once I actually start, I'll do a thread like I did for the side blade mesh and post pictures all along the way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Be careful with turboing a v8. I had a heffner kit on my V8 that ultimately blew it up. Sold the vehicle to someone who wanted to rebuild. Ultimately he needed to replace the entire motor. He called Heffner directly who confirmed they no longer offered the V8 kit due to issues customers have experienced. This has nothing to do with the build quality of the Heffner kit as they have a proven system. It’s just the v8 that can’t handle the boost. Good luck with what you decide to do.

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
359 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting set up for the turbo route. Kind of excited. I will be wide bodying it as well, but I think after the turbo situation. Once I actually start, I'll do a thread like I did for the side blade mesh and post pictures all along the way.
Wonder will you be rebuilding the engine too?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful with turboing a v8. I had a heffner kit on my V8 that ultimately blew it up. Sold the vehicle to someone who wanted to rebuild. Ultimately he needed to replace the entire motor. He called Heffner directly who confirmed they no longer offered the V8 kit due to issues customers have experienced. This has nothing to do with the build quality of the Heffner kit as they have a proven system. It’s just the v8 that can’t handle the boost. Good luck with what you decide to do.
I emailed the famous Ricky from @Ricky.REP and he said the V8 is solid up to 1000 hp without needing any built internals. I only plan on taking it to around 850 hp. Which I believe would be under 10lbs boost.

And the tune has a lot to do with it and in that area, I am educated and will be tuning my own car. Pre-detination is what kills motors and can be avoided. A lot of times people blow up perfectly tuned motors because they get tuned on E85 or race fuel (because the customer wants the highest numbers they can get for bragging rights) then drives home, doesn't change maps or didn't get a standard fuel map, and proceeds to put pump fuel in it. Kaboom when you push it because the ignition timing is WAY OFF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts