Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Probably bad shifting from the R8 driver? The autos change gear in fractions of a second, the R8 driver likely did at least 3 changes... inches make up miles as they say!

·
Registered
262 Posts
V8 R8s are pretty slow . It should have been V10 engine only from the begging

·
Registered
131 Posts
V8 R8s are pretty slow . It should have been V10 engine only from the begging
Of course there are quicker cars out there, you could race a V10 R8 against a P1 but that wouldn't be a fair test.
But this about racing cars in a similar class isn't it? or in fact the same weight but actually less power in the TTS! Something doesn't quite add up tho, sack the driver!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I drove the ttrs. The numbers were very impressive on paper, but the vehicle had nothing special about it that would make me pick it over a V8 R8. I guess I’m getting old, and the overall package is more important to me than just numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's it, I mean a tesla model s p100 d would probably beat all of the above but would you want that over a burbling 8 cylinder r8? All round experience is everything. Also rolling performance is really where it's at I would much prefer a car with a good 40-100 performance than a crazy 0-60, it's just so much more useful and fun overall.

·
Registered
357 Posts
But

When they do these tests there should also be a final test that is away from an airfield with a straight run flat out thrash and test this ....

You take both home and park them on your drive and click the lock button and you just can't help looking back and thinking

A. that is a thing of beauty

or B. you don't bother looking back

and then another test

When you go to close your curtains at night you just can't help

A. Looking at the driveway and thinking, yes that is a beautiful design, I still like the beauty of it after a few years

or

B. you just close the curtains and don't bother looking at your car on the driveway.

Small print: There will be some who park their car in a garage. Just replace 'driveway' with 'garage' above and forget the curtains thing.

Even smaller print: it's not just about thrashing it. There's more to ownership than 'who will be the fastest to get away if a meteor is gonna hit your city'.

smiley face :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.....and I'd beholding to the R8 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Think this video also shows someone not able to do quick gear shifts in a manual R8 unfortunately... As for looks, presence and kudos there's only one winner. It's surprising just how bland that brand new TT looks...

·
Registered
34 Posts
No matter how much horsepower you have and how fast is the car from 0-60 or 40-100, it will never be enough. I remember when I had my MKIV Supra and got it to 500WHP and drove it for the first time. I was so giddy that I could not wipe the smile of my face.
That feeling lasted about 1 day and I already wanted more. It was the same when I moved to 600WHP and also when it was about 850WHP. After that, the car was not a daily driver and was not that much fun.
The one thing I regret is selling it since I wanted something faster and better (and I kick myself for doing so until this day) so ended up with a few other cars that I never liked.
I ended up getting an 08 R8 V8 and loving it every second. Not the fastest car, but man, she is pretty to look at and I do not think I am going to sell her. Not going to do the same mistake I did with my Supra.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Couldn't agree more. HP is addictive. My 2011 V10 Spyder is plenty fast but I frequently find myself thinking about at an ECU tune and/or Supercharger. I think the biggest issue with R8 is it's so refined that 525 HP doesn't have the ability to really scare you. Anyway, then I just take my Supra (single with ~600 HP) out, turn off the traction control and it definitely gets the adrenalin flowing. The R8 is a nicer car to drive (17 years newer and much higher $$), but if you want an adrenalin rush even at street legal speeds the Supra is the ticket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No matter how much horsepower you have and how fast is the car from 0-60 or 40-100, it will never be enough. ....
Everyone's got their own thing that gets them buzzing I guess. Some people want a car that destroys others in a sprint / straight line, this is what they like to do. Some people perhaps just like the idea of ludicrous power under the hood but never take it to its max. Personally I want a car that has decent power, but it's all about how the vehicle and chassis handles the power it has. I want a car that I can take through fast, winding A and B roads with precision maintaining 80-100 mph for extended periods.... with no other cars around... this is my drug of choice and why the V8 R8 is perfect for what I enjoy doing the most.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Couldn't agree more. HP is addictive. My 2011 V10 Spyder is plenty fast but I frequently find myself thinking about at an ECU tune and/or Supercharger. I think the biggest issue with R8 is it's so refined that 525 HP doesn't have the ability to really scare you. Anyway, then I just take my Supra (single with ~600 HP) out, turn off the traction control and it definitely gets the adrenalin flowing. The R8 is a nicer car to drive (17 years newer and much higher $$), but if you want an adrenalin rush even at street legal speeds the Supra is the ticket.

I started with the ECU/TCU tune and it wasn't but a couple of months until I went the supercharger route. VF does a good job of maintaining the drive-ability of it. On a normal cruise you wouldn't notice it much but man when you put your foot all the way down does it show its power. From a dead stop being able to spin the wheels is guaranteed to put a big sh*t eating grin on your face. Also works with women who are afraid of people driving fast. Takes about a second for them to grab your arm. I highly suggest the supercharger!

I think much more power after that makes it less fun to drive on the street.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts