Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to a fancy suburban mall today to buy stuff and had a nice lunch. Came back to my car to see someone had thrown an entire shake all over the back of my car. I didn't give it a test lick, but chocolate appears to be the culprit.

Luckily for me, I have a detail scheduled for tomorrow morning as I've decided to give my car a 60,000 mile aesthetic tune up. Perhaps a clay bar and interior rework and conditioning if I can find the right place.

This is the second time my car has been messed with. Once in Encentias, CA where someone put gum on my passenger side window and once today. I took it immediately today to hose and wash off the probably chocolate milkshake and felt lucky it was not keyed.

Funny thing is my car spends a lot of time in bad areas and all I get is compliments and respect. Then the 2 times I've had issues it was in wealthy areas. This same mall has had a few mass looting and a shooting last month though so I guess "nice area" has all become irrelevant in the big cities. I'm moving to Mexico. At least the cartel will kill you before bothering to deface your car.

Also, one other weird feature. I was washing the fin with my hand gently and it opened. I think there is a touch button return on it or something like on my Porsche SUV where you tap and the trunk opens. Why else would it open from the hose and rubbing? Does everything that gets rubbed just pop up?

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Registered
290 Posts
People suck: This is the reason I love my PPF and ceramic coating. I had my 2008 TT keyed several times while I was at work a few years back, and that's not even a fancy car.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would be so pissed off and it would just raise my blood pressure for nothing as if they weren't around there's literally nothing you can do about it. But it would make me not drive my R8 as a daily, which I don't. I know you can, but it's just too beautiful to subject to nonsense like that. Even if you can afford to drop $100k like someone drops $10, it's the beauty, not the money.

I even try to park where I can see it even when we eat out with it. The only time i leave it unattended or out of sight is at car shows, because, in general, people at car shows are appreciative of either the art or the cost or both.

However as I've said before, I don't park next to show stoppers at car shows because every time I do, my R8 is used as a butt support for the swarming crowd trying to see the showstopper car. the first time it was a friends famous grey on grey wide body camo Huracan, dropped to the ground.

the second time was two weekends ago. At a cars and coffee.... later in the morning, the Ferrari 488 parked next to me left and some guy pulled up in what looked like a Mad Max, full race cage, no fenders (no quarter panels) Huracan with a ginormous single snail turbo mounted high in the engine bay (like 2 feet above it) and it was real loud. In about 5 minutes a crowd began forming while my wife and I were talking with Derek @SculptorR8 a little ways away (his R8 was parked next to mine) and when we walked over to see the commotion and the monstrosity Huracan, people were doing the butt rub against my car to take pictures of that car. So my wife, on one end, me in the middle and Derek on the other end formed a human shield forcing people to go a different way... it got old fast, so we left.

·
Registered
795 Posts
When I first got my car, I went to a Shop Rite and parked away from most people. I then went into a liquor store in the same strip, but pulled my car to the curb in front to load my stuff. Some guy loks at me and says, "You really drive that thing around here? You gotta watch out for people." I have other nice cars, but none as special to me as the R8. I was at the Jersey Shore, not a slum, so not sure what he meant, but you gotta live your life. If anything happened due to vandalism, I'd be out of my mind, but you don't have control over those losers.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure it was a shake as the shake cup was there. I should have licked it and really regret not doing that. Now we are all going to have to live the rest of our lives with that horrible uncertainty of not knowing!

And from the spread pattern on the car I'm at a 90% confidence that it was thrown. There was even some splatter on the Tesla SUV parked next to me.

It was interesting to me how I reacted. I saw it and was pissed for about 10 seconds. I looked around to see if someone was watching and wanted to go punch them in the face. Then I looked to see if there were security cameras so I could ask security to get a photo or a license plate. Then I saw the cameras and asked myself if it was worth it and decided it wasn't and that I wanted to let it go and not bother me. I decided to deal with it and wash it off and be done with it.

It took about 10 minutes to find a crew of gardeners That were doing the lawn of some house in the area and I offered them 10 bucks cash to let me use the hose. I washed it off and then went immediately back to feeling good again (a great Robert earl keen song by the way). In my 20's and early 30's I would have been looking for blood and bothered for a week. It's funny how we can choose our emotions in life.

Bottom line is this was a minor inconvenience that cost me 10 seconds of being mad, 5 minutes of running a hose over the car and washing it off, and a $10 tip to the gardeners. No biggie and I'll continue to rock the R8 from fancy restaurants to school pickup to junkyards in Alabama to construction sites in Texas to speaking to kids in the bad areas of chicago about staying out of trouble and why we donate to their boxing programs. I always said I'd keep the car to 100,000 miles and that will probably be another 24 months. That's all the time I have left with this car and I want to enjoy it all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would be so pissed off and it would just raise my blood pressure for nothing as if they weren't around there's literally nothing you can do about it. But it would make me not drive my R8 as a daily, which I don't. I know you can, but it's just too beautiful to subject to nonsense like that. Even if you can afford to drop $100k like someone drops $10, it's the beauty, not the money.

I even try to park where I can see it even when we eat out with it. The only time i leave it unattended or out of sight is at car shows, because, in general, people at car shows are appreciative of either the art or the cost or both.

However as I've said before, I don't park next to show stoppers at car shows because every time I do, my R8 is used as a butt support for the swarming crowd trying to see the showstopper car. the first time it was a friends famous grey on grey wide body camo Huracan, dropped to the ground.

the second time was two weekends ago. At a cars and coffee.... later in the morning, the Ferrari 488 parked next to me left and some guy pulled up in what looked like a Mad Max, full race cage, no fenders (no quarter panels) Huracan with a ginormous single snail turbo mounted high in the engine bay (like 2 feet above it) and it was real loud. In about 5 minutes a crowd began forming while my wife and I were talking with Derek @SculptorR8 a little ways away (his R8 was parked next to mine) and when we walked over to see the commotion and the monstrosity Huracan, people were doing the butt rub against my car to take pictures of that car. So my wife, on one end, me in the middle and Derek on the other end formed a human shield forcing people to go a different way... it got old fast, so we left.
The disrespect people have is mind blowing. Especially at a car show, where you know the cars are well cared for and for the most part very expensive. I feel for the op, someone dumping a shake on my car would piss me off to no end. I often wonder what I would do if I caught someone doing it to mine or someone else's car..

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
I reckon that's an anal explosion from Big Al.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The abuse I take on this site sends me to the therapist weekly. And I cry a lot.

But I did drop the car off at the detailer and he is doing the clay bar thing and an interior refresh but it sounds like just a good detail. He says my paint has swirls in it but the car in great condition for a DD with 60k miles. I'm going to put another 40k on it in the next 2 years and then sell it. The problem is there really is nothing in my simple mind like the gen 1 r8. I just can't find anything that excites me anywhere near as much that is such a great DD.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Sorry to see this, Judd. Some people are full of envy and hate... it manifests in ugly ways. I'm glad you discovered and addressed it quickly - that stuff will do a number on your paint if left long enough. I could start to go down a rabbit hole on WHY people would do something like this, but I'll leave it alone for now.

As for a replacement - another R8 may be the way to go. Don't fix what it isn't broken! :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I seriously will consider buying another gen 1 R8 with a few thousand miles on it from one of you guys. Or perhaps the 488 if I can deal with the headache of putting 50k miles on it in 3 years of driving.

I'm always impressed by how well this group takes care of their cars. I think you guys would be / are thoroughly dismayed by my life choices. I mean, I just don't have it in me to be so detail oriented.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry to see this, Judd. Some people are full of envy and hate... it manifests in ugly ways. I'm glad you discovered and addressed it quickly - that stuff will do a number on your paint if left long enough. I could start to go down a rabbit hole on WHY people would do something like this, but I'll leave it alone for now.

As for a replacement - another R8 may be the way to go. Don't fix what it isn't broken! :)
Petty spiteful people suck. I could go down what I would guess is a similar rabbit hole, but I think moving on like Judd has done is best - not worth the emotional time or effort - then "they" win. Just really happy there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage, and it wasn't something like a key job.

I second another R8 as a replacement. Really hard to think of anything else that would work as well as a DD with the same fun factor.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts