Audi R8 Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
595 Posts
RE: Mass Shootings... It sure isn't our gun laws and NO ONE, not 18 yrs old, or 88 yrs old can walk in and get a gun and ammo the same day. No where I know of. Same thing, background checks, pass firearms exam...etc. It's the gun free zones that keep getting shot up. Those mass shootings have 2 things in common (all shooter kids on long term anti-depressants -which were never intended for long term use) and gun free zone. Then they get played up in the news because governments want unarmed people (the REASON for the 2nd amendment, to check government power), it propaganda. If everyone was allowed to carry a gun, those shooters would be stopped before they killed more than normal knives, rocks, sticks kill people.

The problem is people keep thinking they can trade security for liberty and it's always a raw deal for the citizen in the long run. Next stop Chinese style communism. Coming to Canada first. At least before America.

Please don't mis-understand, we have a lot in common because of our common ancestor, but the gun laws, or laws in general are never the problem. Criminals will never, ever, follow them, no matter how many. As to why you don't have mass shootings, I can't tell you that, but it's not your laws that are responsible. As we have entire cities on total gun lockdown and they have THE MOST shootings.
Sure you can…same day, contingent on properly filled out federal form and NICS national background check data base which is usually done real time over their phone system, even in my solid blue NY state.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sure you can…same day, contingent on properly filled out federal form and NICS national background check data base which is usually done real time over their phone system, even in my solid blue NY state.
I guess I"ve been in California too long because you cannot get one without the 10 day waiting period,

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be honest I am not an expert on the US constitution so I wouldn't engage in any debate about that and you absolutely should love your country no matter what for the most part. My particular stance is specifically in the manner in which the gun laws are handled in the US which continuously leads to massacres and mass shootings. I don't disagree that everyone has the right to bear arms, except I disagree about the manner in which those arms are seemingly being distributed to common folk in the US.

And again my knowledge is rudimentary, anecdotal and based on what's being shown in the news as I don't live in the US, but no 18 year old should be able to walk into a store and walk out with a bunch of handguns, automatic rifles and other assortment of material (the most recent school shooting - I read the perp had just turned 18 and went and got the stuff he needed).

In contrast, my gun license at first required a training course, then a test, then background verification, mental health verification, then an enhanced verification as I wanted a restricted license (for handguns), reference checks including my wife and then I got my license. Entire process took 4-6 months.

Now, having had my license for 7+ years, I went and purchased a handgun. After paying for it at the shop, they keep it for 2-3 weeks until the CFO (Chief Firearms Officer) does their backgrounds checks and after that send what's called a successful transfer certificate, which allows me to be able to pick up the handgun from the shop. When I go to pick it up, I can't transport it shout a trigger lock, as well as a case lock and I can't have ammo within reach of the handgun. It has to be stored in the exact manner at my home with the ammo being placed elsewhere. If I want to transport it, technically I am required to call the CFO and let them know ahead of time where I will be going with it and what route I would be taking.

All this to say, prior to me being allowed to even purchase a handgun, I need a membership at a local gun range which is the only place that I can really transport it to and the only place where I an use it. There is no concealed carry allowed anywhere. Is it a pain? Yes. Is it a hassle? Absolutely. But something I am fine with if it keeps the mass shootings at bay. Do I feel that I don't have freedom? Perhaps, but a price I am willing to pay again to keep kids and general public a bit safe.

I know it's not an argument that is popular with majority of the Americans and that is fine - everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs and I am not going to change that for anyone. This works for me and I am fine with it and the evidence shows that it makes for an overall significantly safer country - so I am ok dealing with a bit of a hassle.

Oh and I forgot to mention, even after transfer certificate and taking possession of your handgun, you aren't able to take it out anywhere until you get your registration certificate sent from the CFO. I picked up my CZ SP-01 Shadow at the start of the month and due to the backlog, I am still waiting for my registration certificate, which as soon as I get, I will be heading to the range to blow off some steam. Haha.

EDIT: PS: I am not saying that the Canadian system is the best way or the only way for that matter. All I am saying is there need to be further checks and balances than simply a barely adult walking into a store and walking out with a bunch of firearms, including high powered automatic firearms with significant ammo. I am sure not all States in the US are like this but several appear to be.
You're right - you obviously have no idea how "gun laws are enacted in the US."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I"ve been in California too long because you cannot get one without the 10 day waiting period,
That's for sure. I've always been able to get anything i wanted right away. Remember that everyplace is not the same as in the town where you were born and raised and never left. And criminals don't care about any of these laws restricting gun possession - they are criminals.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Remember that everyplace is not the same as in the town where you were born and raised and never left.
Just to be clear, I've lived in CA, UT, MT, SC, MA, TX, , so it's not like I only lived here in CA. :cool:

81 - 86 of 86 Posts