Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you mad????? the feature was stupid and was not a proper comparison. Can't believe you'd consider cancelling your order on the strength of 5th Gear. Read the posts from the guys who have got their cars, and dont be silly!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
This review was dealt with before on another thread and almost everyone agreed it was bollocks with Plato missing gears on the 0-60 etc (by the way did he use LC - I never did ask) and showboating on the corners. They both still said buy the R8 but use a 911 during the two year wait for the audi. The only comment I can add - there seem to be a number of Porsche owners buying audi's (have been one myself in the past) but no one's trading R8's for 911 !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
by the way did he use LC - I never did ask
Does the manual have LC too or just the r-tronic?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't think you have researched/read enough on the R8 versus its competition. 90 - 95% of reviews and comparisons crowns it the victor over the C4S and even the Porsche Turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all,
Sorry for reposting.
i was driving 997 c2 before taking the plunge for the new r8, which is due to come in next year march. I went through forums and review. Most comments were good so far and i am looking forward even though i have not test drive it. My qualm so far has been some minor details such as the seat n steering wheel which is shared with model like tt, despite being priced twice as much. But last week, was invited to see s5. I was surprised that s5 have respectable time (0 to 62mph, 5.1 sec) and the attention to details was **** good (embossed "S5" logo on its sport seat, new key with s5 logo), and it has same 4.2l v8 as r8, although been detuned. And most importantly it is half the price of the r8. I know that they are different cars but i cant help feeling sore of the fact that we paid good money and yet we are not having the exclusivity and the best. But the youtube clip was the ultimum. Anyway, i already paid abt usd 36k deposit for the r8, i will decide later if i would go ahead with the order because in singapore, f430 and gallardo is about usd 120k to 150k more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Being one of the first owners surly you looked in the R8 brouchure and knew what the interior was prior to ordering?

I think everyone knows that when a new car is released its more of a "basic" model to start with to get them out on the orad, and then the exclusive options start coming out like the "bucket seats" simular to RS4?

Im also getting bored of people always saying "oh but it only the same 4.2 v8 as whats in everything else". Well the engine size is 4.2l and yes it is a V8 but that is pretty much all the simularitys there is..... The rest is far far far different...

"exclusivity and the best" What your getting when you buy the R8 is a hand built mid engined 4 wheel drive luxury supercar. There is soooooooooooooo much on this car that is superb engineering, "race technology" for the open road, it would take me ages to list everything that this has. and lets face it you cannot compare it to an S5.

What is the likly hood of you driving down the road stopping at the lights and there be a c4s with "tiff" at the wheel wanting a drag race? Unlikly? Watch the vid again, they preffered the R8....
Would i be right in saying that singapore have a really low speed limit anyway?

If i were you, i would be heading down to my dealer for a roadtest, or even just to sit in it, maybe that will make you how good this car is, not stupid uncontrolled tests which prove nothing...

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my humble opinion SFR8 is right in stating that most reviews gave the final crown to the R8 versus the C4S.

Somebody even preferred the R8 versus the GT3 in a track test (see the beautiful Autocar video test in their website).

It is undeniable that the 997 is still the car to beat in some specific areas, like stering feel, but overall the R8 comes out as a more modern package.

The review by EVO magazine is, I believe, final in this regard.

I test drove an R-tronic last week on road and I shall say that the most impressive feature is how civilized the car is.

Very confidence inspiring in the wet (was raining) and confortable.

R-tronic came across to me as a much more acomplished tool than the SMG from BMW, I tested a few weeks back in an M6.

Definitely,if you prefer a self-shifting car, the Audi is much above a Carrera with the current Tiptronic. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me add that the V8 in the R8 is a vastly different engine than the regular V8 found in the S5. Having live with the RS4 (same engine as the R8) I can tell you that they are like night and day.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ummm, I though I might jump in on this one. Although the are a couple of major differences between the R8 and RS4 engine (Dry Sump, Intake etc), they are virtually identical in terms of output and delivery.

Please review RS4 vs R8 dyno tests below.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0704_audi_r8_rs4_dyno_test/

BUT, if the C4S was up against an R-Tronic it would be all over! The launch control systems makes launching the R8 consistent and idiot proof!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They be launching it next month. Hopefully, will get a test drive and deliver an unbiased remark then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm driving my 997 C4S until my R8 comes in. I've always loved 911s and the new C4S is the best one I've ever owned. However, I'm very confidant that although the raw performance numbers between the two cars may be very similar, in the real world the R8 will drive circles around the C4S

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi Johnson,

hmmm i wasnt invited to the s5 launch !! Anyway... i may be repeating here but i was told there is a high probability that the press car for launch here will be made available for test drive. so hopefully, u can get a better sense from there

i wouldnt think it a good idea for you to forfeit the 50k sgd deposit. u can probably do better by selling it second hand at delivery milage or even try to secure a deal at par. Over here, no one has seen the car and the car is booked out for 2008. I suspect that demand will surge after the launch and u could even try to secure a buyer before delivery. Surprisingly, many potential buyers here still do not know what an r8 is....

and IF you do decide to forfeit, pls surrender your spot on the queue to me !! PLEEEASE !! :D mine is 2H2008 :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Firstly that c4s had a powerkit on,secondly both guys ssaid buy the R8 if you caso Top gear Isle of man test ..R8,Ferrari 599,LAmbo LP640,Porsche gt3,AM v8 prodrive etc etc..R8 wins.
Autocar best drivers car of the year R8 won easily beating GT3 rs among others
EVo..best drivers car

Autocar magazine...lap record for a normal production car beating LAmbo gallardo,Porsche gt3 and 997tt
Evo again got incredible lap times with only outright stupid cars like caterhams lapping faster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts