1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think I have stopped worrying about performance figures (which was all we had at the beginning).

It is just one of the best cars in the world

·
Registered
782 Posts
That is a post from Kreso, why not posting it here.

The R8 is fast! It did 997GT3 times!!

And Cup Tyres is not a very good comparison. I think the R8 will be even faster with the Cup Tyres...

I must admit, when driving the R8 hard the first rev's after shifting up are too slow, the car wait for 0,5 sec before picking up it's fast acceleration. The M3 is always fast, making it more potent feeling.

I do think that a simpel chip will solve that problem (It did solve it in my S4, which had the same problem!).

·
Registered
163 Posts
its funny, ive had a new M5, a 335i, a C4 cab and a boxster among others as of late, and the little underpowered Boxster and 335i are the most fun to drive because you can really push them to their limits. there comes a point of diminishing marginal utility when an extra hundred or two HP just doesnt do much for the avg driver, esp on a stick. most folks cant even shift fast enough to keep up with a car like an R8, 911 turbo, etc. its more for posing than anything.

while the v10 R8 may feel a little different, c'mon, in reality most folks wont know the difference unless they are on a track. the spyder on the other hand, NOW we're talkin! I do love a good spyder!

·
Registered
313 Posts
[/url]
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres might have something to do with the M3's strong performance! Unfair IMHO.
The new Pirelli's PZero mounted the R8 come very close to a semi slick but the cup tires would have made a differnce.

But no matter how, where is the power of the BMW?? ....they promis 420 HP !!

The R8 has 420 and a four wheel drive. Fourwheel driven car's are always a bit slower then a rear wheel driven car.
More or less the same weight and so on...........the M3 should have been much faster.......maybe doesn't even has the power .......BMW announces.

If you look at the differnts between 997 2S and 997 4S the fourwheel driven car is slower.

on the other hand the M3 has not the same class as a R8.

I must admit, when driving the R8 hard the first rev's after shifting up are too slow, the car wait for 0,5 sec before picking up it's fast acceleration. The M3 is always fast, making it more potent feeling.
Try the same thing by pressing the sport button and hold down ESP for more then 6 sec until not only ASR is off , wait until ESP/ASR is off.

Now try again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Try the same thing by pressing the sport button and hold down ESP for more then 6 sec until not only ASR is off , wait until ESP/ASR is off.

Now try again.
My car is a manual :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know why they are comparing the M3 with the R8 instead of the the RS4. THe R8 is in a different class and should be compared to the M6.

In any case, the RS4 has the new E92 M3 beaten by various tests so far. The performance are so close that they are neck and neck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I realise they are not the same catagory but, they are 2 cars that are presently receivign alot of media attention. So, I guess they wanted to put them up against each other to create some hype.

To be honest though, I have ordered my V8 R8 and my V10 BUT, the R8 V8 was always underpowered to start with. The chassis can take sooo much more. I reckon Audi should have waited a little bit longer and just released the V10 which would have blown the doors off everything without any question marks. The R8 V10 would have been the undisputed champion!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realise they are not the same catagory but, they are 2 cars that are presently receivign alot of media attention. So, I guess they wanted to put them up against each other to create some hype.

To be honest though, I have ordered my V8 R8 and my V10 BUT, the R8 V8 was always underpowered to start with. The chassis can take sooo much more. I reckon Audi should have waited a little bit longer and just released the V10 which would have blown the doors off everything without any question marks. The R8 V10 would have been the undisputed champion!
Since I read at least 10 different ultra positive reviews (and none negative) about the R8 I think the car is good enough as it is right now. More power won't upset anybody, but it is not underpowered.

·
Registered
313 Posts
no matter how, look at the attached image..............i know the RS4 is not an R8 but it is not to far away..............;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
This pic is a poor PS.

R8 is faster on the Hockenheim then M3 as you all probably already know but, faster on the Nordschliefe...? You will see pretty soon.

Just one hard excepting thing(even for me)-new M3 is faster in straight line till 280km/h then R8-more then 1s faster...

·
Registered
175 Posts
This bugging me, Topgear tested the audi R8 and the M3 in the ise of man for the latest issue of the magazine, the audi came up top with a great picture of clarkson with beaming smile driving the r8(now my backround)

When i read the m3 review he says and i quote :

So it falls to me to write about the only car here that is really box fresh, that even Jeremy hadn't had his hands on. Which is probably a blessing.

did they let him drive the m3 or not ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts