Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Shame the R8 didn't put down much more power, would have been nice if Audi underrated it. Wonder what type of dyno they used.

Edit: They used a dynopack, they say it reads lower than a dynojet. I tend to see dynopacks read higher, as dynojets tend to get 300-310 at the wheels for the RS4.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So...the R8's more "exotic" tuning of the RS4's V8 nets 7HP? I think I'd give that up for the RS4's 10% torque bump at 3000RPM!
And both fall short of the M3's V8, meaning with all wheel drive, both will test slightly slower compared to the M3 in all the mags.:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
i've been getting that sinking feeling ?
is the R8 to slow?....... or is it worth the cash when an M3 is around 55k?

and i hate to admit it cause i dislike BMW but the M3 is really nice ... i have seen a few 335d's they look really good but is it any faster than the audi 4.2tdiV8?

·
Registered
564 Posts
on the track i must say, .. sometimes we got the feeling that there must have been some more power out of corners.. :confused: :mad:
not sure how you feel about this KRESO !!?? u drove it yourself.. of course you cant compare to your also driven gallardo etc... but... i dont know... i never driven more powerful cars in my live (i must admit) :eek: But i was never overwhelmed with power.. only thing which needed lots of attention where the breaks cause they really are good (the standard ones).. no fading.. very hard and precise... so you had to watch the back.. break in straight linse or try to break "degressiv" or declining..

BUT again.. for me the car has enough power to cruise around... very nice "outside" sound.. good ride comfort.. not too noise inside.. stiks like a flat rubber on the road... nice looks.. a wonderful sophisticated allday GT... :cool:

is it worth the money?... well, its a very exclusive car... bout 95% handmade/welded... very very VERY robust and safe..
its worth the money imho (and i dont think aston, or porsche c4 etc.. are much faster even)...

·
Registered
40 Posts
every car out there ' could be faster'...

i think the R8 is pretty d*mn fast. There are faster cars out there, there are faster cars out there for less money. But, very few if any can match the whole package that is the R8 (imo).

The fact that Audi is getting this car on the covers of many a magazine w/ Ferrari F430's and such..... thats the win right there.

RB

And, remember this is Audi's first shot out of the gate. Who know's what the future will bring (lighter weight rwd would be my choice! and Turbos too)
:D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, the torque curve on the RS4 is much better. Much steeper between 1800 and 4000rpm! Then outputs the same torque as the R8 all the way to the Rev Limiter.

I must say it is dissapointing. I hope my upcoming test drive proves to be a success. If not, I think I'll keep my money for F430 or the V10... :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, the torque curve on the RS4 is much better. Much steeper between 1800 and 4000rpm! Then outputs the same torque as the R8 all the way to the Rev Limiter.

I must say it is dissapointing. I hope my upcoming test drive proves to be a success. If not, I think I'll keep my money for F430 or the V10... :(
Guys don't be so discouraged. Let me quote a discussion about the above phenomenon from Rennteam forum where Kreso frequently lectures. From a different individual, "The RS4 is a heavy sedan and it needs torque down low. The R8 is a sports car through and through, so they [Audi] can afford to take the high rev concept all the way". Further "Audi wanted to give more sport character to already excellent RS4 engine for its new home-R8".

Let's give the Audi engineers benefits of the doubt as they are professionals and they must know what they are doing. At least they know more than you and I. There must be a good reason for their decisions on the R8 engine. Further, engineers' decision must be reviewed and approved by several layers of superiors and is then finalized. I believe many thoughts and considerations have went into this process. I believe the end result must be better performance rather than worst. It is only logical. If worst then why bother changing it. Just drop the RS4 engine into the R8 as is and probably save more money that way.

However, the true test is a test drive. Wait til a test drive before you finalize any thoughts. Or wait for result of a test drive from one of us.

Lastly, 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds cannot be that bad. For me, that is good enough.

·
Registered
564 Posts
well as you can read from my post.. I HAD my testdrive.. its was good but i was not surprised by this cars power... and remember, my fastet car I ever drove might have been my Volvo V40 T4 200HP / 300NM (estate) or if you will, my latest A6 3.2FSI which weights around 1.8t

so how come i was never really stunned..????

anyway, for me the packages is also perfect and no other car delivers all the different angles to that degree... so dont get me wrong, its a super great car... but i know there are alot of you outthere, who are familar with 400HP and above... and I am not sure if you are satisfied then with this... I am fully :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on the track i must say, .. sometimes we got the feeling that there must have been some more power out of corners.. :confused: :mad:
not sure how you feel about this KRESO !!?? u drove it yourself.. of course you cant compare to your also driven gallardo etc... but... i dont know... i never driven more powerful cars in my live (i must admit) :eek: But i was never overwhelmed with power.. only thing which needed lots of attention where the breaks cause they really are good (the standard ones).. no fading.. very hard and precise... so you had to watch the back.. break in straight linse or try to break "degressiv" or declining..

BUT again.. for me the car has enough power to cruise around... very nice "outside" sound.. good ride comfort.. not too noise inside.. stiks like a flat rubber on the road... nice looks.. a wonderful sophisticated allday GT... :cool:

is it worth the money?... well, its a very exclusive car... bout 95% handmade/welded... very very VERY robust and safe..
its worth the money imho (and i dont think aston, or porsche c4 etc.. are much faster even)...
Chris,

IMHO R8 is very good car but, not amazing or excellent one. Problem is that R8 is not any faster in real world driving(autobahn, country roads) then RS4... Actually on the wet road RS4 is faster because of its superior traction. Yes! Torsen system in RS4 offers better traction on the wet road then R8 AWD.

Today we will have first full test results in German AMS... Very good ones or just good? You be the judge.

Is R8 actually too slow? IMO no but, it is not powerfull enough for the money! Or fast enough and that is my verdict.

With full options(Ceramics not included) R8 cost 130000Euro in Germany... Is there a better/faster car for the money? Well...

Exclusive car... I do not get it? R8 exclusive as F430 or Gallardo? NOT for me.

Still, I like R8 a lot but, after my drive session I will say this-it is not the car I expected it to be.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Actually it would be nice to see the R8 vs the RS4 on a race track and drag strip to see what the difference truly is!!

I have said this many times, the original R8 concept was supposed to be with a V10...Not the V8. The V8 was an after-thought by Audi, a marketing strategy to get the R8 to market as soon as possible. At the end of the day, Audi is in business to make profit and increase market share.

I firmly believe the R8 with the V8 4.2L is underpowered and was rushed to market to lure customers over to Audi.

I am not sure what I'll do now...Should I skip the V8 and wait for the V10?? Confused...:mad:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Chris,

IMHO R8 is very good car but, not amazing or excellent one. Problem is that R8 is not any faster in real world driving(autobahn, country roads) then RS4... Actually on the wet road RS4 is faster because of its superior traction. Yes! Torsen system in RS4 offers better traction on the wet road then R8 AWD.

Today we will have first full test results in German AMS... Very good ones or just good? You be the judge.

Is R8 actually too slow? IMO no but, it is not powerfull enough for the money! Or fast enough and that is my verdict.

With full options(Ceramics not included) R8 cost 130000Euro in Germany... Is there a better/faster car for the money? Well...

Exclusive car... I do not get it? R8 exclusive as F430 or Gallardo? NOT for me.

Still, I like R8 a lot but, after my drive session I will say this-it is not the car I expected it to be.

so in a way you unfortunately agree with me.. and re exclusivity - 100 cars is the share switzerland will get every year.. and that is for me a fact which makes it more exclusive then most of the ther cars... and that it is handbuilt makes it very precious in a way...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually it would be nice to see the R8 vs the RS4 on a race track and drag strip to see what the difference truly is!!

I have said this many times, the original R8 concept was supposed to be with a V10...Not the V8. The V8 was an after-thought by Audi, a marketing strategy to get the R8 to market as soon as possible. At the end of the day, Audi is in business to make profit and increase market share.

I firmly believe the R8 with the V8 4.2L is underpowered and was rushed to market to lure customers over to Audi.

I am not sure what I'll do now...Should I skip the V8 and wait for the V10?? Confused...:mad:

for me, even underpowered.. this cars built up a very nice character, and I will love to cruise around with that V8 in my back... i do not need anything faster then this.. if you really want to put wings on it and fly to the moon do it.. i will watch you from here on earth. .and will cruise around with my 50km/h with my head out of the window and listening to that wonderful sound.... :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
i understand 4.5.sec is fast but i bloddly hate BM'S.it would be nice to know the R8 eats them4 breakfast... sadly it looks not the case ... but on the sunny side i have ordered a V10 aswell i've heard it WAS (b4 it went on fire) doin 0-60 in under 3 sec ....that sounds more like it ..!and when i get to test drive a few i will consider adding the r tronic to the V10.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts