Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does the R8 seem like it needs to go on a diet? Audi spend marketing $$$ promoting the ASF technology but the R8 still weighs in at a porky 1565kg or 3442lbs!!! The Porsche C4S is 100kg lighter and it doesn't have ASF. :(

Don't get me wrong, i've still got an R8 on order, but I struggle to understand why Audi hasn't focused on reducing kerb weight and also what are the benefits of ASF? :confused:

To me the kerb weight of the R8 is a major dissapointment and ASF is just marketing hype!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
It does seem a little 'odd' that the R8 has come in at 1,560kg ... which is the kerb weight given for the UK version ... which is only 90kg lighter than a UK version 2006 RS4 ... both use the same engine ... both have quattro ... one is fully aluminium and lightweight metals ... one is not ... one has two seats and just two doors ... one can carry five and has four doors ... yet the one being marketed with the word 'lightweight' littering the paperwork that goes with it ... is only 90kg lighter ... I'm afraid I'm with you ... I can't see why they are making so much of the ASF and lightweight design ... now if it weighed the same as a 911 C4S ... well it could almost be called 'lightweight'.

Like you though ... I'll still be getting mine ... even if it is a little ... cuddly ;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It does seem a little 'odd' that the R8 has come in at 1,560kg ... which is the kerb weight given for the UK version ... which is only 90kg lighter than a UK version 2006 RS4 ... both use the same engine ... both have quattro ... one is fully aluminium and lightweight metals ... one is not ... one has two seats and just two doors ... one can carry five and has four doors ...
Correct, this is precisely the point I'm trying to make. I don't understand what Audi is trying to achieve???

At the moment, the only criteria that is underpinning my order for the R8, is it's awesome curves and lines.

Maybe my perception will change when I drive it and it HOPEFULLY blows me away!

Fingers crossed. Will the R8 have the skills to match the marketing hype?!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
1) if you compare to the C4s, R8 still has a lite and lovely V8 compared to the flat6 (guess thats one reason of the weight)
2) then maybe the brakes they used - bigger then most competitors
3) also to mention, the mounting - not sure what other cars use, but the double wishbones etc look quite heavy
4) have you ever checked the ASF structure in detail? its aluminium, but just look at how much they used.. thats a reason on why the chassis is so stiff, mentioned by journalists aswell.. see pic below:

all in all, in know what you mean, but i tried to post some reasons on why it was not possible.. maybe also becaouse of all the luxury they put in.. MMI, B&O etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It does seem a little 'odd' that the R8 has come in at 1,560kg ... which is the kerb weight given for the UK version ... which is only 90kg lighter than a UK version 2006 RS4 ... both use the same engine ... both have quattro ... one is fully aluminium and lightweight metals ... one is not ... one has two seats and just two doors ...

The question is: how heavy would it be without the ASF?

And what is making it so heavy then? For example, my old Clio V6 was heavy because they had to made an iron cross in the front. Else the front was too light.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Perhaps the Carbon Sigma options are a typo mistake

Should be Carbon Solid...................thats iron isn't it :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Top Gear Magazine (Dutch) noticed it aswell. If you mention proudly the lightweight ASF, why is the car still that heavy? With 2 seats in stead of 4 en 2 doors in stead of 4.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing to condsider is how much more actual car there is compared to a 911.

Look at the wheelbase difference, the R8 has so much more 'car' between the axles- its not even funny.

Just a thought, i'd love for the R8 to be lighter as well.
- i think deleting that front part of the awd would be great! :D srsly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The overall dimensions of the R8 versus 911 are nearly identical. Wheelbase doesn't determine weight.
I wouldn't mind however, losing the front wheel drive also. I know that would go against Audi's whole "quattro" mindset, but I really don't want or need it and with the V8's relatively meager torque, it's not like there's too much for those 295 rear tires to handle.
Hey, maybe then they could even drop the price closer to where they said it would be too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's just more car, more car in between the axles is what im saying.
More structure to the R8.

Just a theory.
RB

·
Registered
647 Posts
AWD system for Gallardo and R8(since they are 99% identical in AWD) weights only around 55kg's... So, there is no point is loosing AWD.

Weight in R8(and Gallardo) is somewhere else...

·
Registered
782 Posts
What about the weight difference between Porsche's Six and Audi's Eight engine?

·
Registered
564 Posts
What about the weight difference between Porsche's Six and Audi's Eight engine?
That would be interesting, but wont be significant. (The engine itself) but the whole engine bay maybe..? It uses much more space then the flat 6...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Better chassis stiffness means extra weight ... whilst the R8 uses lightweight materials ... the Porsche uses a combination of lightweight materials and steel ... whilst I'm sure the Porsche chassis is very stiff ... it sounds like the R8 may be even stiffer ... plus from what I can recall reading, I seem to think the R8 not only passes all current crash safety tests ... but will also meet all known changes to crash tests for the next 1 to 2 years ... that must surely mean additional built in strength and crumple zone structures etc.

Yes, I'm sure we'd all like the R8 to be as light as possible ... but I'm sure we will all enjoy the driving experience when the time comes ... well, I hope we will.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The overall dimensions of the R8 versus 911 are nearly identical. Wheelbase doesn't determine weight.
I wouldn't mind however, losing the front wheel drive also. I know that would go against Audi's whole "quattro" mindset, but I really don't want or need it and with the V8's relatively meager torque, it's not like there's too much for those 295 rear tires to handle.
Hey, maybe then they could even drop the price closer to where they said it would be too!
Agreed and Agreed. Pricing has been inflated considerably!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have always felt that I would rather have something solidly built around me rather than being just ultra lightweight. To loose the odd 1/10th sec in the knowledge that if you were to stack it or be T boned is very reassuring.

Take it from my own experience of being T boned by a large bike at 96 mph, its not much fun. Without the solidity of my then BMW 8 series, I do not know if I would be here today. By the way the 8 series was the heaviest armchair on four wheels which was nippy and handled fairly well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The weight, I don't mind. For me its only the marketing of Audi about the weight. But the weight itself is not that special.

I'll drive the R8 with pleasure, I'm sure!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts