Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Does any know when is the scheduled launch of the DSG for R8??
...early 2009.

BTW, BMW just introduced M-DCT(M-DKG in German) 7speed DSG style gearbox for new M3. Price is €3800 + local VAT in EU. Since M3 has 420hp gearbox is more then sufficient...

S-Tronic for R8 and future Porsche models:
http://www.getrag.de/en/253

New M3 M-DCT:
http://www.getrag.de/en/252

Audi R8 V12 TDI Concept use special version of Getrag 6MLT650 gearbox(more powerfull to handle 1000Nm), not Graziano gearbox like current R8(and forthcoming manual version of R8 V10).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kreso, any ideas about weight difference between 7-speed DSG and current R-Tronic?
7Speed RS-Tronic(that could be the name;) ) will be around 30kg more then manual(or 25kg more then R-Tronic) but, it will be way more efficient...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I finally had an opportunity to drive an Audi with the S-tronic (DSG) transmission. Overall, I was extremely impressed with it and my impression was that they have tuned it to operate nearly identically to the tiptronic (regular automatic).
This is a good and bad thing in regards to a sports car application. Just as the nearly seamless tiptronic in my turbo makes it a much smoother less stressful ride, it does seem to take some of the "sport" out of the equation. Most of my driving experience is with automatics, although I've driven manuals just enough to confirm my left foot has a long way to go to gain precise clutch feel, and having one hand on the wheel when you're driving the most aggressively and shifting frequently began to feel like a bit of a hassle.
The R-tronic seems like the perfect solution! (assuming they've got all the bugs out at this point)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear your comments as I am actually in a dilemma if I should wait for the dsg. I actually own a dsg TT and on order for the R-tronic R8. Still trying to find good reasons/excuses to go ahead with the R-tronic or just wait for another year.

I finally had an opportunity to drive an Audi with the ddilemma (DSG) transmission. Overall, I was extremely impressed with it and my impression was that they have tuned it to operate nearly identically to the tiptronic (regular automatic).
This is a good and bad thing in regards to a sports car application. Just as the nearly seamless tiptronic in my turbo makes it a much smoother less stressful ride, it does seem to take some of the "sport" out of the equation. Most of my driving experience is with automatics, although I've driven manuals just enough to confirm my left foot has a long way to go to gain precise clutch feel, and having one hand on the wheel when you're driving the most aggressively and shifting frequently began to feel like a bit of a hassle.
The R-tronic seems like the perfect solution! (assuming they've got all the bugs out at this point)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got this from the web of someone who posted about the R8 Launch in Singapore. According to the interviews done with the officials of Audi, it seems that there will not be a dsg version of the R8.

Audi R8 launch in Singapore 23rd September

OK ... first of all, out of gratitude I'll not knock Audi ever again. Not because Audi cars are great, just that I won't say it.

Because last night was fabulous.

The girls the men brought there were all nice but not all young. Certain ones (mrs. Ong if you're reading it, it's you) were classy. I decided to be underdressed instead of overdressed and ended up somewhere near the bottom, ... but I was comfortable.

The luminaries there were the boss of Audi AP (really handsome tanned german, who's not out of place singing `to all the girls I've loved before', but as with all german men, can't joke to save his life), the global product manager for the R8 (who was a nice german lady 40s maybe, very MILF), the global marketing manager for Audi (a fat german man who's utterly incapable of jokes), the designer of the Audi R8, AND Alan Mcnish. Yes, the ex Toyota F1 driver and now the driver for Audi's TDI ALMS and LM racers. And 2000, 2006 and 2007 ALMS champ.

The nicest thing was Alan Mcnish was sitting opposite me. So the whole dinner I am so ashamed of myself, I was asking him questions like a kid. Like a petrolhead kid.

Some personal stuff:

1) Alan doesn't drive fast on the streets. He loses his street license he may lose his superlicense. Anyway, keeps within speed limit.
2) He has an Audi S5 - no issues with his torque vectoring.

R8 things:
1) The seat is wide like hell, but Alan said that he doesn't roll around. But alan holds the steering tight, while I use fingertips. So he tells me I gotta drive it to see.
2) Mcnish would choose a manual over the automated manual, simply for the feel and the full experience.
3) This car can't take a DSG because its revs rise and drop too fast. It just can't mate with DSG. DSG needs an engine which revs are slower to rise and fall, because this is its main characteristic. The will NOT be a DSG for the R8 - authority mcnish, product manager. NOT even the Borg Warner one.
4) DSG goes against the philosophy of the R8. They WANT you to feel the shift for the sporting experience. The DSG does not give you the feel for the shift. DSG is NOT for this car, again - authority Product Manager.

About the car:
1) 497K no nego
2) 1.5 years wait time, 1 year for the super rich and audi family members.
Dash
1) Visibility issues for the tach (it's on the left and steering wheel blocks it if your position is wrong
2) You need magnifying glass to see temp and fuel level
3) Speedo is very small for a 310km/h speedo, which is fine if you have a digital display, but there is none.
4) The dash looks really very busy, seriously. It's not an intuitive dash, not a simple dash.
I have to live with this car to see further implications of the dash, at this time these are very prelim.

Size
Interior is VERY big. I don't feel cosy here. I feel like I'm in a sedan, actually. I don't feel special.

Seats
I feel they're too big for a small guy like me, and the leather's slippery type. I'd prefer some leather alcantara hybrid. But Mcnish says he lapped in it for 1K km and never had a problem with his body slipping around. I don't know whether it's that good or it's Mcnish's style, but a test drive will settle matters.

Exterior
Pretty much irrelevant to me. It's nice. A bit busy, but nice. The designer gave a demo on how to draw the R8 using paper and pencil, was nice. But I don't like the fact that he models his designs over animals and history and legacy instead of function. How un-engineer!

But it's nicer than the GTR.

Overall, I loved it. I was seated opposite a diehard Audi fan with a RS4 and his classy petrolhead wife and oh boy, was he a enthusiastic boy just like me. The doctor next to me was nice, agonozing between a F430 or an R8, and 2 seats away coincidentally is an old acquaintance I haven't met in 10 years but a lot of our life was intertwined by the same people (architect, etc)

the event
was probably very expensive. The brought the Type C supercharged Auto Union race car, the Michelle Moulton Quattro rally car, the R8 FSI car and 3 R8 street cars, and rolled them through the dining hall.

the food sucked but hey, that gives us petrolheads more time to talk.

I don't know how they categorized people, but my table had no bimbos but all petrolheads and paired with allan mcnish. Other table got pretty trophy wives with boobs coming out of their cocktail dresses but got no racing driver. How the hell did audi know anything about me I dunno .....

will I buy?

With 497K i have to sell backside, and it makes this car (to me at least) live or die by the way it drives. Alan Mcnish tells me that this car, for me `will live by the way it drives, forget die, impossible' but again, his style is different and he's a race driver and I'm just a petrolhead kid.

At the end Allan authographed my S$50 note, but he put there:

`Put this as a deposit for your new R8'

McNish.

Brilliant.

·
Registered
347 Posts
About the car:
1) 497K no nego

Is this your university thesis?

Noted something interesting though. Singapore must have the worst price tags of them all. What's the exchange rate now for S$? That's convert to what? USD380k?

·
Registered
647 Posts
3) This car can't take a DSG because its revs rise and drop too fast. It just can't mate with DSG. DSG needs an engine which revs are slower to rise and fall, because this is its main characteristic. The will NOT be a DSG for the R8 - authority mcnish, product manager. NOT even the Borg Warner one.
4) DSG goes against the philosophy of the R8. They WANT you to feel the shift for the sporting experience. The DSG does not give you the feel for the shift. DSG is NOT for this car, again - authority Product Manager.
Simply said-NOT true at all. What about M-DKG(M-DCT) in new BMW M3. This gearbox is made by Getrag and M3 engine revs up to 8400rpm(in all honestly it even revs more freely then R8s engine)...

Your info is not accurate... Sorry...

There will be replacement for R-Tronic... 7speed DSG style gearbox with(maybe) new name RS-Tronic... 2009...

Of course manual(6speed) will remain as standard item.

·
Registered
367 Posts
While it was true initially that the available DSG transmissions could not handle more than 300HP (probably due to the two, relatively small clutches), this has changed now. I believe the more limiting factor with DSG availability in the R8 is the actual layout of the drivetrain. The mid-engine layout requires a transaxle transmission, with an integral differential driving the rear wheels out of each side. And don't forget about the power take off to the front for the front wheel drive and its associated differential. Obviously a very specialized layout, although probably similar to the current lower power front and all wheel drive DSG's Audi has. The Porsche 911 application is also similar, only with the engine rearwards. Compare this to the M3 with the transmission mounted to the front engine driving a shaft rearwards. Much simpler and applicable to many other vehicles. We're lucky the R8 is getting a current generation SMG based a gearbox originally designed for mid-engine Lambo's and Ferrari's and much improved over the past several years!
DSG will likely eventually be available in the R8, but as I stated in an earlier post, be sure you know what you're wishing for!

·
Registered
647 Posts
While it was true initially that the available DSG transmissions could not handle more than 300HP (probably due to the two, relatively small clutches), this has changed now. I believe the more limiting factor with DSG availability in the R8 is the actual layout of the drivetrain. The mid-engine layout requires a transaxle transmission, with an integral differential driving the rear wheels out of each side. And don't forget about the power take off to the front for the front wheel drive and its associated differential. Obviously a very specialized layout, although probably similar to the current lower power front and all wheel drive DSG's Audi has. The Porsche 911 application is also similar, only with the engine rearwards. Compare this to the M3 with the transmission mounted to the front engine driving a shaft rearwards. Much simpler and applicable to many other vehicles. We're lucky the R8 is getting a current generation SMG based a gearbox originally designed for mid-engine Lambo's and Ferrari's and much improved over the past several years!
DSG will likely eventually be available in the R8, but as I stated in an earlier post, be sure you know what you're wishing for!

I am already like a Parrot...

...and read about all its features very carefully-it is forthcoming 7speed RS-Tronic for R8...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Simply said-NOT true at all. What about M-DKG(M-DCT) in new BMW M3. This gearbox is made by Getrag and M3 engine revs up to 8400rpm(in all honestly it even revs more freely then R8s engine)...

Your info is not accurate... Sorry...

There will be replacement for R-Tronic... 7speed DSG style gearbox with(maybe) new name RS-Tronic... 2009...

Of course manual(6speed) will remain as standard item.

We are in 2009 and d I don't see a DSG R8 ... Moreover, the R8 V10 also comes with the R-Tronic ... what does that tell you .... no DSG, end of story :D

Although DSG shifts smoother ... it takes the whole "sport feel" away ... the "hits" you get while changing gear is part of the whole experience ... after all the R-Tronic is the E-gear found on the Gallardo ...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am already like a Parrot...

...and read about all its features very carefully-it is forthcoming 7speed RS-Tronic for R8...

Nothing on the website says that the Audi R8 will have the DSG. All it shows is that a 7 speed DSG for mid-engine cars is now made and available.

We're in 2009 and I still don't see a DSG R8 ... moreoever the R8 V10 also has the R-Tronic option ...

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Although DSG shifts smoother ... it takes the whole "sport feel" away ... the "hits" you get while changing gear is part of the whole experience ... after all the R-Tronic is the E-gear found on the Gallardo ...
I disagree, if you want better performance, then you want the DSG. Faster shifts than you can do on your own, which is good when you're trying to squeeze every last ms from your best time.

Not to mention on normal roads... no one wants to get thrown around the car during shifts.

I doubt it's coming to the R8, but I would definitely prefer it.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
HovyR8, you were responding to a posting that was way over a year old! :D

Also, there will be no DSG for the R8. As I understand, the Audi engineers tried, but could not get it to fit. It would have required too much of a remodel to make it work. But it does fit in the R8 LMS, so 996TT is probably correct as to the drivetrain/differential being the prob. The R8 LMS is rear wheel drive only. DSG is definitely the best for racing. Other than that is simply a question of personal tastes. I prefer manual.

PS.. Usually Kreso's information is very accurate about the R8.

·
Registered
761 Posts
HovyR8, you were responding to a posting that was way over a year old! :D

Also, there will be no DSG for the R8. As I understand, the Audi engineers tried, but could not get it to fit. It would have required too much of a remodel to make it work. But it does fit in the R8 LMS, so 996TT is probably correct as to the drivetrain/differential being the prob. The R8 LMS is rear wheel drive only. DSG is definitely the best for racing. Other than that is simply a question of personal tastes. I prefer manual.

PS.. Usually Kreso's information is very accurate about the R8.

I know it's a year old but I also knew members would reply as we're all looking to know more about the R8. ;)

I also brought the subject back up to confirm that there would be no DSG as I am thinking to order the V10 but thought maybe a DSG would come up in a year or 2 and I would wait for it. Looks like not! :D

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
bmw's m division used to say that they were using smg rather than dual clutch because it was "more sporting" too - until they managed to fit a dual clutch transmission in the m3...

it's all about them talking up what they have available and downplaying what they don't.

I'd take dsg over smg in a heartbeat - it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
bmw's m division used to say that they were using smg rather than dual clutch because it was "more sporting" too - until they managed to fit a dual clutch transmission in the m3...

it's all about them talking up what they have available and downplaying what they don't.

I'd take dsg over smg in a heartbeat - it's a no brainer.

Same here. DSG over SMG. I used SMG for many years and it was really nice. With DSG, you don't work as much, the car works for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts