Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - happy Friday!

I will be attending the Monterey Historic Races, Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance, Auctions, etc.. car week in August (my 28th annual) and would love to get together with those planning to be in Monterey the week of August 10th.

If you haven't been to the Concorso Italiano, is a fantastic event with a long history on the Monterey Peninsula and it is under new ownership and management this year. The venue just moved BACK to a golf course (Laguna Seca) after being held at the Marina Airport last year - which probably helped precipitate the sale (a lot on negative PR from many who remember when it was at Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley). If you purchase a "Non-Italian Display Vehicle" package, the following is included:

* Entrance for your registered vehicle and two vehicle occupants
* Two vouchers for the Italian Vehicle Hospitality Pavilion
* Event Goodie Bag
* Collector's Magazine (while supplies last)
* Preferred parking in the Non-Italian corral directly across from the event

The Non-Italian Display Vehicle fee is $150 per vehicle through May 31st and $200 > June 1st. I know, I know.. this is a lot of dough, but it's one of the premier events of the week! Here's a link to register.

http://www.concorso.com/index.htm

The Concorso web site has a "Registered Participants" link that will be active soon so we can see who else is attending (besides me!).

I have been working with the Concorso Italiano event coordinator and she assures me that if we get 12 Audi vehicles registered, they will reserve an Audi specific area in the corral. I have also contacted ACNA Golden Gate chapter about possibly scheduling some kind of club event that week or at least advertising this event, but unfortunately, you will not find ACNA under the Concorso "participating clubs" yet (BMW, Corvette, Mercedes-Benz, Miata, Porsche, Viper). All of these marques have numerous events planned in Monterey but sadly, the ACNA, GG and the SoCal chapter event calendars are conspicuously blank.

So far, the following R8TALK chatters have expressed possible interest in getting together for a caravan to the Concorso (so we can all park together :)): 08R8, HARRISON, NASA 08, DESPERADO and DAN1. If you're planning on attending this event, please register & let me know!

Scott

One of the best reasons to go... I got a lot of money & drinks for NOT sending this to certain family members! LOL! (sorry SHELBYGIRL, no offense intended!)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Is this Scott getting some hands on?? We'll have to hook up for some chow der on the coast. But probably in the desert first!! Saw the ACURA LM racecar yesterday at L.B.GranPrix. Audi had no presence,Darn IT! VERY nice, that Acura, but, AUDIE RULES ! DESPARADO showed me around the pits-His S A E credentials got us in to the Tech talk sessions for Pre race inspection,Corvette race team plans/strategies and E 85 fuel sources,Acura teardown,and Michelin tires tech session,and best of all tech plans for Ferrari F430 factory L.M. race team,And the Toyo tire team answered all of our questions about the R888.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this Scott getting some hands on?? We'll have to hook up for some chow der on the coast. But probably in the desert first!! Saw the ACURA LM racecar yesterday at L.B.GranPrix. Audi had no presence,Darn IT! VERY nice, that Acura, but, AUDIE RULES ! DESPARADO showed me around the pits-His S A E credentials got us in to the Tech talk sessions for Pre race inspection,Corvette race team plans/strategies and E 85 fuel sources,Acura teardown,and Michelin tires tech session,and best of all tech plans for Ferrari F430 factory L.M. race team,And the Toyo tire team answered all of our questions about the R888.
No shortage of great places to eat on the Peninsula! We usually eat our way through Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur... looking forward to it.

Don't look for Audi at Laguna Seca this fall either!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hope Audi has a featured display area at the concorso. Last year there was not one R8 at the concorso. I take that back, I spotted a red one in the general admittance parking lot as I was walking back to my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine was there... in the general parking area as well. Hopefully we'll show better this year!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope Audi has a featured display area at the concorso. Last year there was not one R8 at the concorso. I take that back, I spotted a red one in the general admittance parking lot as I was walking back to my car.
Are you planning on attending this year? Member of ACNA - which chapter?
For me, half the show is in the corral!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a reminder for all you NorCal & SoCal folks planning to attend the Concorso Italiano in Monterey on Friday, August 14th - the Display Vehicle Fee (that includes a spot in the Audi Corral) goes up on 6/1. If you haven't registered now, do it and save some $$.

I am trying to get the ACNA GG Chapter to get something together for this weekend, possibly this event. STAY TUNED!

Planning on meeting as many of you as possible that morning (somewhere, TBD) and caravaning to the event/corral. All the pretty R8s lined up in a row for the show!

https://secure.concorso.com/index.php/nonitalian

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hey Scott ,will you make it down to S.D.for the BIG AUDI event??:) Planning into August is too iffy for me. I may tag along in my one of my buddies Italiano cars though !! Some Modelo Lites soon ,maybe??:)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Scott ,will you make it down to S.D.for the BIG AUDI event??:) Planning into August is too iffy for me. I may tag along in my one of my buddies Italiano cars though !! Some Modelo Lites soon ,maybe??:)
I'm pretty busy with work through July, this might be the first event I get to this year. But man am I looking forward to it!!! You can hang with us R8s in the corral if you get tired if the Italian stuff! Hope to see you with or without your JET!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NorCal/SoCal R8s going to Monterey, early registration for the Concorso Italiano has been extended to 6/30. I am told the list of registered pariticpants will be available on-line in July. See you there!

https://secure.concorso.com/index.php/nonitalian

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Good lookin' out Scott !! See you there !!:)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do we have a group drive heading up for the event?
When are you thinking about leaving? I'm planning on leaving Tucson Monday or Tuesday and might stay overnight in Palm Springs to get an early start the next day. I've driven Highway 1 from Cambria to Monterey many times but never in the R8. Really looking forward to that - hope the fog stays off-shore!

On Friday, I'm thinking we should meet somewhere (TBD) ~ 07:00(?) to caravan to the Concorso.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Count me in for the caravan into Concorso Corral ! Can't do the group drive 'cuz I'll be making a few visits to friends houses all the way up. Pismo is one of my stomping grounds.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Suggest we meet at the Home Depot - Highway 1 & 218 - about 07:00? The parking lot in the SW corner near Staples is usually wide open that time of day. McDonalds and Starbucks are on the corner if anyone needs an AM fix (see the well worn path?).

So, let's get a head count - who's goin'? The "Registered Participants" link has still not been activated on the Concorso web site but I've been posting the event on AudiWorld, Fourtitude, Audizine, Audi Club chapter forums, etc. I hope we get enough cars to have a designated Audi area in the corral. You should be receiving your Concorso hang tags & packets soon. I got mine yesterday.

HARRISON :)
R84ME :)
DARKMATTER :confused:
DESPERADO :confused:
DAN1 :confused:
NASAR8 :confused:
08R8 :confused:

Anyone else?

Here's a Google street view of the entrance to Home Depot off 218.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=robert's+lake+seaside&sll=36.608845,-121.857133&sspn=0.023908,0.025878&ie=UTF8&ll=36.609232,-121.857476&spn=0.000069,0.013733&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=36.609168,-121.857418&panoid=IAKbP3n-29hIq1ZINpn_RQ&cbp=12,239.31,,0,7.48

[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Sdr8..?? :) We will make our own R8 area for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got my registration package from Concorso Italiano this week. I will be coming from the North so I can meet up in the parking lot if that firms up. Look forward to meeting you folks.:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun, pls take lots of pictures and post for those of us that can not make it there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts