Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share these photos as R8s in exclusive non-Audi colours are fairly rare (aside from wrapping). I always thought the R8 would look great in mexico or riviera blue but after these photos I'm not so sure - it looks a bit anaemic. It may possibly look better with outdoor lighting. What do you think of the Viper Green?

Both these cars are for sale in the UK, the Riviera from Lawton Brook and the Viper Green from Sheffield Audi (JCT600 group)

Riviera Blue - Porsche code 39E
1.jpeg
3.jpeg
5.jpeg

Viper Green - Porsche code 225
viper 1.jpg
viper 2.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a bit of a penchant for this odd colours, but I too am not sure about Riviera Blue. I'm not sure the combination of black wheels and lighting in that showroom help matters though.

I like the green a lot more than I thought I would too, but not sure I'd have the balls to buy it though!

·
Registered
176 Posts
What I have had the balls to buy is this - I'm swapping my black one for it (plus a little cost to change :rolleyes:) and collect it on Saturday. I wasn't sure at first but I went to see it last weekend and WOW, it looks spectacular.

The total opposite to my relatively discreet black one, however I'm in a pickle....can't choose between keeping my matt titanium wheels or these black ones.

More pics on my other thread.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My friend is getting an exclusive 2017,, it's arrived but he won't post or let me post pics/specs of it yet. It's pretty sick.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's a tad late now :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the balls to buy the viper green one from Sheffield. Pictures do not do it justice. Looks even more awesome in real life - but I would say that wouldn't I? Black wheels and the carbon make a real striking contrast. Thinking of changing the badges to gloss black but not from TAG for $550 plus almost $200 for posting to the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I had the balls to buy the viper green one from Sheffield. Pictures do not do it justice. Looks even more awesome in real life - but I would say that wouldn't I? Black wheels and the carbon make a real striking contrast. Thinking of changing the badges to gloss black but not from TAG for $550 plus almost $200 for posting to the UK.
Awesome purchase Paul - well done, a high spec car in a loud colour. I went on a R8 shopping trip to Manchester / Stoke / Stafford back in December to see what they had to offer and benchmark pricing. I had half thought about driving back by Sheffield to take a look at the Viper, but I ran out of time. Probably lucky as I think by then you had already bought it, I noticed it dropped off the Audi approved site around mid December. Yes I have no doubt it looks even better in real and I'd really like to see it; but my wife voted out the green quite early on. I placed an order for an exclusive blue V10 which I'll provide more info on later in the year (not Riviera). Build week 20 so unlikely to see it before mid July.

If any UK potential owners are interested Stafford Audi had a Plus in Riviera blue on order, also ~build week 20.

Meanwhile here are a couple of photos of a Plus in Mexico blue - a colour which has adorned Porsches for decades. Taken in different light conditions, and probably by different cameras / phones, hence the difference in tones. There is definitely some green content in the paint code (paint code is Porsche 336)

blue r8 higher res.jpg
mexicoblue.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks
My Mrs never had a say in the car or the colour. Almost the first she knew about the car was when I registered and insured it in her name! She chose some nice leather bags which fit perfectly behind the seats but apart from that, best not to ask for an opinion in case it was negative.
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's some more pics :

Another Riviera blue 39E - looks a bit better in this photo IMO. Taken at Crewe Audi in N. England

Riviera R8 crewe.jpg

This one is Audi Merlin pearlescent LZ3W

Merlin V10 plus hires.jpg
Merlin V10 plus hires2.jpg

I'm not absolutely sure but I think this is "Green" solid code 2D8 the one you will find in the colour charts in the UK brochure. It's not far from PaulMcn's Viper green, if anything slightly lighter. 2D8 was also originally a Porsche colour, formerly known as "RS Green" after the 2007 GT3RS when it was first released, then later simply as green or "Grün" in German but has now been adopted by Audi - you should see it on the wall at Neckarsulm Audi Forum.

green17.jpg
green13.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A few more exclusives :-

Zelt Grau (translates as tent grey!). It looks a bit like Porsche "crayon" which is a optional colour now in the UK
zelt 1.jpg

Nimbus Grey at the Audi Forum
nimbus front left2.jpg
nimbus front right.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both those greys look great! But it seems like almost any shade of grey pairs well with carbon fiber and black trim/wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both those greys look great! But it seems like almost any shade of grey pairs well with carbon fiber and black trim/wheels.
I agree. I've seen the R8 in a lot of colours now, and seen photos of a lot more colours and I don't remember a colour that did not look good on the R8. I think the Gen2 more angular design probably helps - it can really pull off bold colours that may look a bit naff on lesser models. Yellow is generally far from my favourite colour but it looks superb on the R8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always thought I didn't like yellow on the R8, but am quickly changing my mind seeing photos of Palmball's new ride! Might also look better on the gen2 than gen1.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it was available in Canada, I would definitely get Riviera Blue. Personally, I think that color is made for super cars.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts