Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 879 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for you r8 owners that wanted to change for factory head unit with a aftermarket unit such as pioneer, kenwood etc...

In Japan the factory head units are different and has a clean 2din install

So with this factory piece you can get a clean install of any aftermarket head unit

I'll attach the picture so you can see what it looks like
I think this part is only available with audi Japan but do not quote me on that

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
If that is indeed a factory piece, do you happen to have the Audi part number?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered it from audi already....ill go and pick it up next week.... I'll post the part number when I get it..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered brand new pioneer head unit ... Not yet released comes out at the end of the month...I prepaid already... Soon as it arrives I'll put it in and post some pictures

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a picture of the actual radio/Navi trim for factory Head unit made by clarion Japan for the Audi R8

I picked it up from Audi today

The Japan factory head unit is different from the rest I the world

I am attaching a picture of a 2 din pioneer Navi head unit already installed with the Japan factory Audi trim piece

The Audi factory part number is J42 AE2 C12

So if anyone wants to change their head unit now you can with a factory trim from Audi...

And as for steering wheel functions just buy a PAC steering wheel control adapter... I'm going to install it soon when I got some time...

Hope this info helps

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
That appears to be a JDM only part. It doesn't appear in ETKA.

Why are JDM R8s LHD when RHD cars are readily available?

Only saying that because I'm disappointed that we cant get such a bezel for RHD cars. Even my VW camper has a better hi fi than the R8.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why JDM r8 mostly LHD.... They do have RHD but it's very rare ...

As for wanting the same bezel for right hand drive you are in luck they do have it
Here is a picture from a RHD r8 with the clean double din bezel

If you want i can get the part number for you... Just send me a PM and I'll get it for you

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the trim will work on both right hand and left hand r8....the surrounding trim is same as all r8... I will post a picture up later today... Just finish my install last night

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok everyone I made it to Audi and here are the part numbers for the trim piece to change your radio head unit to a aftermarket head:
RHD: J42-AE2-C14
LHD: J42-AE2-C12

Here is a picture of my car with the brand new pioneer head unit.... Love this head unit... CarPlay... Bluetooth YouTube songs... 2d and 3D Navi etc....

Well hope I was helpful anyone got questions just shoot me a message

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I am curious about the steering wheel functions too. if they do work i propose a group buy. I would love to get a better system to replace my existing stereo/nav system.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Steering wheel control is no problem, pioneer has a working adapter. Review camera you can use pioneer version which is much cheaper them oem one and you want to retrofit one if you don't have one. There is an adapter for oem one too. Problem is the B&O connection and I wanna definitly keep this as you have to spent a fortune to get the same soundquality and more space, the radio is the bottleneck for the b&o. try to order the part already via my audi dealer.
Hpaudio maybe have a ready made loom for b&o connection but not confirmed yet

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm getting this asap. Links to both part and head unit? (Im non B&O). Wonder if I should have local Audi dealer install or the car stereo guys (they probably don't see many R8's)

Also, is that an apple (iPhone) specific head unite? I'm and android guy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Part numbers are on page 1 of this thread Pioneer headunit is japanese one and not out over here. You can take every Pioneer 2-Din headunit, most of them are android car play and Iphone ready.let yourcar audio.dealer suggest you one that suits you.
Install definitly via car audio guys, technic behind is a3 and you need adapters which they know which one. Your audi dealer has no know how about this....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone been able to source this part? Im not finding on any OEM site, can my dealer get this in the US?

1 - 20 of 879 Posts