Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R8 is experiencing a metal scraping/rattling sound that lasts about 1-2 seconds after starting the car. It also occurs occasionally between gear shifts between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. A few days ago I had white smoke fill the engine compartment for about 30 seconds. Anyone have an idea?
Clutch? Transmission? (tiptronic)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have heard the rattle before as well. Not sure what it is. Doesn't happen all the time. I heard it. Turned it off. Tried again, but it was gone.

As for white smoke, I have no idea. Never had that happen before.

·
Registered
226 Posts
are you talking about a cold start? every cold start recently seems to rattle.

immediately when it starts, it'll hit 1500 RPM (normal) and just rattle as if it's on 2 or 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can be cold or warm, and isn't a rattling sound associated with engine speed, it's more like the sound a starter makes when you try to start the car when the engine is already running... scraping, grinding. Happens between gear shifts at times.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It can be cold or warm, and isn't a rattling sound associated with engine speed, it's more like the sound a starter makes when you try to start the car when the engine is already running... scraping, grinding. Happens between gear shifts at times.
If you can hear it often and can replicate the sound, take it to the dealer. If it's not often, will be hard to diagnose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts