Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving I hear a small rattling sound coming from the passenger's window area.. possibly near the carbon fiber blades but I am unable to find out where it is coming from.

The sound is a very small and subtle vibrating noise that comes when I hit approximately 50-70KMs/hr.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had that on mine. It was the trim piece between the blade and the window. There was a TSB on it, so the dealer fixed it for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The trim piece is between the blade and the small side window. It's hard to describe, but it's about 4 inches wide and 9 inches tall. Basically put your hand on the small window and run it towards the back of the car, you'll hit a black piece of plastic. That's it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trim piece is between the blade and the small side window. It's hard to describe, but it's about 4 inches wide and 9 inches tall. Basically put your hand on the small window and run it towards the back of the car, you'll hit a black piece of plastic. That's it.
I think I found it, it is a rubbery piece near the hood and sideblade area on the passenger side that is a little bit loose.

Is there a link to the TSB I can show the dealership so they can fix it?

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
One way to identify if that's the source of the problem is to tape it down and see if you still hear it. If the noises are gone then the plastic needs to be felted.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Can't find the actual TSB but here is a picture of the panel as other members say pop panel out and fit felt to the rear of the panel.
IMG_2775.jpg
Side Panel.jpg
Good Luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stupid question how do you pop it out without doing damage.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes If the panel has got any movement then it can cause noise, Tape over with masking tape drive the car if it solves the problem then remove the panel and fit felt or double sided tape to the area that rubs, I think they use double sided tape.
You will need trim removal tool but I would use blue masking tape around the area first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I scratched mine up trying to pull it out, I gave up and wedged some foam tape between the plastic and the window and that seemed to fix it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2017 R8 plus coupe, and this rattle is back. The small piece of plastic is a little different, because the side blades are different. However I was getting a fairly sharp rattle against the small piece of glass behind the driver's door as described here.

When I taped down the piece of plastic in the gap between the small window and the side blade, the rattle went away.

Now I just need to find the right piece of foam/tape to stick in the gap or behind the piece to make a more permanent fix.

Thanks for posting this. I was going crazy trying to figure out the source of the rattle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts