Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I won't be getting an R8 for 3-5 years, but I have a question, that will show my ignorance..sorry.
I was told indirectly that because of the aluminum frame that if an R8 is in an accident and needs body work, that there is some issue with welding and Zinc or something like this (pardon my ignorance). I live in an area where there is only one person proficient at this type of welding. Is this real or a bunch a baloney? I was told if a bad job was done by a less than knowlegeable repair dude that things would go sour a few years after the repair....:confused:
Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I actually don't know the scientific answer to your question, but my intuition is that there are many aluminum framed cars and one often sees them repaired without issue. I guess the key thing here is as you said "if a bad job was done by a LESS THAN KNOWLEDGEABLE repair dude"; I would imagine issues might arise in this case no matter what type of frame a car has. Worst case scenario might be that you source out a good shop that you may have to ship your car to or make a longer drive if issues arise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Someone just rear-ended my future wife's Mercedes SL, so I've been giving this sort of issues some thought since yesterday.

If you have a car as expensive as an R8 or a Mercedes SL, you want to be sure that any work on it is done in a totally professional way, and the SL is therefore going to a Mercedes dealer tomorrow.

Given that only a few Audi dealers are authorized to work on an R8, I wouldn't dream of having any work done by anyone else.

If you don't have an R8 dealer close enough to have any necessary repairs on the frame done -which BTW usually means replacing parts of the frame rather than repairing them- you are going to run into problems generally to have your car serviced.

The R8 is a complex car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys. It was scaring me away, and I don't want to be scared away about something like this. I want that car (eventually)
peace out....for a long while...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just joined this forum because Im an senior panel tech for audi and im repairing an r8 at the mo. There is no welding as its not to badly damaged and most of the r8 parts are bolt on. The chassis will only require standard alu tig welding, but it must be done to exact audi methods to assure the chassis strenght.

The main reason i join the forum is because i have some old parts which have been replaced and can be reused.

·
Registered
482 Posts
just don't take it to Maaco for bodywork

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Given that only a few Audi dealers are authorized to work on an R8, I wouldn't dream of having any work done by anyone else.
I know there were authorized Audi service centers for the RS6 but I don't think Audi is doing this for the R8. As I understand it, the R8 can be serviced at any Audi dealer. Whether you would WANT just any Audi dealer to do extensive repairs is another subject.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
My dealer and the owners manual says that ONLY R8 Approved dealers can work on your vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts