Audi R8 Forums banner

Reactions To My R8

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  randombloke 
#1 ·
As the owner of the only R8 in Oklahoma, the reactions to my R8 have been very interesting. Most people do not know what it is and at first I do not think they were sure what just passed them. Now, I am finding cars slowing down to take a look... camera phones and cameras coming out. I have had people follow me just to take a look or ask questions. Saturday evening I went to a favourite restaurant where I scored a parking spot right in front. As soon as I exited my R8, hordes of people ran out the door to take a look. It was quite a scene with people asking for rides and questions. One of the questions was "did you decide to order your R8 after seeing the Super Bowl commercial". They could not believe it took over a year to get a car! Friday someone in a black S430 saw me in my neighbourhood, followed right on my tail until I entered a main road where he blocked me in and finally moved after he took a camera phone picture. Kids outside having a coffee are now pointing and yelling at their friends to look.
In a few weeks I am going to have show and tell with a group of automotive students at a local technical school. The head of the department really appreciated my offering to speak to his classes.
Perhaps a new Audi tech will result from this effort.

#4 ·
Congratulations ...and welcome to "the club". I have had my R8 for almost three months and I am still experiencing the same attention every day (well ...maybe not "hordes of people" each time I park or stop for gas but there is always someone comes and takes a photo or asks me what it is). Being chased down on the highway and seeing the driver on my tail struggling to get a shot with his camera phone is a bit scary.

#6 ·
That is what I thought when i was blocked in by a slow moving truck and the
black S430 on my right side. The guy even had a ball cap pulled low over his
face. I try to be well aware of possible carjack situations...my brother has
lost two S500's in NYC due to carjacker's with guns.

#10 ·
Ive had my R8 now for about 3 months and I am definitely getting the looks, stares etc. You can definitely tell who is into cars by their reaction vs. those who know nothing. Being in the SF bay area, there are lots of people with very very nice cars, so folks are a bit more jaded. Reactions are therefore much more subdued and are limited to the occasional smile, point, or photo. Only one person has come up to me to ask questions.

#14 ·
I've had my R8 for about a month now and I get looks everywhere. My car is in Austin, TX and I think there is only one other car here. People see it and whip out their camera phones to take a picture. I get to self park the car anywhere I go that has valet. Finding a parking spot with this thing has never been easier. When I come out of a restaurant or a bar, there is always a group of people standing around the car talking about it. "Is that yours?" they say as I open the door and get in. "No, I'm just the guy stealing it."

#18 ·
I had the good fortune to get one of first three delivered to north Texas last September.... on the 8th, of course!
Stares, cameras, finger points, cars slowing on the highway to get a better look, and speeding up to catch me, tailgating, crowds, camera phones, comments et al.... they just keep coming... so get used to it... after 6 months plus the commercials... plus car of the year awards... it just garners more attention. I've just passed 5,000 miles and its all been heaven... have not had nor enjoyed a car more than I have this magnificent machine.
The only tweak I haaaad to make to it was to powder coat the rims flat black. To me that did the trick... its not pretty anymore.... its now a beast and looks like it sounds.

#25 ·
A couple of miles away from my house is a motorbike mecca in summer so the roads around here are awash with fast bikes at the mo. The bikers certainly seem to like the R8.

The m6 was like a red rag to a bull with bikers pretty much always hammering past at the first opportunity, but the r8 seems to have the opposite effect where they just sit behind at a reasonable distance even when there are great passing spots for them to hammer past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.