Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just as a follow up...
I emailed Audi here in Bristol about this saying I was worried the part was discontinued etc.
And they have replied:
(he's a good guy, just quite blunt!)

View attachment 244908
What year is your car? I think they changed this out after 2009. My part has a «C» on the end of the part number. This will take time to fins I think. I changed the magride for coilovers so no issues there. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
What year is your car? I think they changed this out after 2009. My part has a «C» on the end of the part number. This will take time to fins I think. I changed the magride for coilovers so no issues there. :)
Mines a 2008, can't imagine there's any difference between them in Gen 1, I'll email Audi back and see what they say.
This thread was titled for a 2008 V8 which is why I jumped on it...

Ps. Is C and D at the end anything to do with left and right do you think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mines a 2008, can't imagine there's any difference between them in Gen 1, I'll email Audi back and see what they say.
This thread was titled for a 2008 V8 which is why I jumped on it...

Ps. Is C and D at the end anything to do with left and right do you think?
I think the difference is just a newer design of some kind on D’s?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had a similar discussion with my Audi parts desk just today. For the part I was interested in D was driver side, C was passenger side but more importantly the original part number had been superseded but the new part was compatible(identical). Best check with someone at Audi who knows what they are talking about before giong down the V10 parts route.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a similar discussion with my Audi parts desk just today. For the part I was interested in D was driver side, C was passenger side but more importantly the original part number had been superseded but the new part was compatible(identical). Best check with someone at Audi who knows what they are talking about before giong down the V10 parts route.
I had to much trust then in audi sport workshop. Thanks! I will give it a try later this week when I find time. And If audi norway say that I need to change to v10 parts. Then I will contact audi germany as I belive they got the most knowledge.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Just had this reply. They have them in stock, I'm going to order a replacement set just in case.
Up to you if you choose to go down the V10 route out of choice would advise you can save thousands however...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
View attachment 244990

Just had this reply. They have them in stock, I'm going to order a replacement set just in case.
Up to you if you choose to go down the V10 route out of choice would advise you can save thousands however...
I found similar problem experence on the forum.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went through this ordeal so I'll share my experience...

Back in 2011 Audi put out a Technical Service Bulletin stating that "due to further technical development" an updated/improved thicker diameter Control Arm assembly design was rolled into production sometime during 2011 production. Cars with the older design were all V8's and V10's (2008-2010) and up to and including VIN 002563 in 2011. Note that the last 6 or so digits seem to start at zero again for every model year.

And because of the updated design, if you have control arm ball joint issues AND if you have the older design you can't just replace that one part because simply speaking they no longer offer the part (or at last that's what my local dealer claimed). Instead you have to update to the new design which necessitates replacing the upper and lower control arms on both sides, both tie rods, and both wheel bearing housings.

Bad News: It ends up costing close to $6k including parts, labor, and alignment
Good News: I got mine covered under aftermarket warranty. And I gotta say the car felt crisp/tight afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Back in 2011 Audi put out a Technical Service Bulletin stating that "due to further technical development" an updated/improved thicker diameter Control Arm assembly design was rolled into production sometime during 2011 production. Cars with the older design were all V8's and V10's (2008-2010) and up to and including VIN 002563 in 2011.

And because of the updated design, if you have control arm ball joint issues AND if you have the older design you can't just replace that one part because simply speaking they no longer offer the part (or at last that's what my local dealer claimed). Instead you have to update to the new design which necessitates replacing the upper and lower control arms on both sides, both tie rods, and both wheel bearing housings.

Good News: I got mine covered under aftermarket warranty. And I gotta say the car felt crisp/tight afterwards.
Thank you so much for sharing. This is the same thing my dealer said to me. And I got the rough price of 7500-8000 usd.. I am looking foreward to getting everything tight again tho.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
What's your cars VIN number? does it coincide with this statement - all V8's and V10's (2008-2010) and up to and including VIN 002563 in 2011.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts

Back in 2011 Audi put out a Technical Service Bulletin stating that "due to further technical development" an updated/improved thicker diameter Control Arm assembly design was rolled into production sometime during 2011 production. Cars with the older design were all V8's and V10's (2008-2010) and up to and including VIN 002563 in 2011.

Well I guess I'm lucky we have the parts available in the UK then... I could replace them 6 times and that would still be cheaper than this upgrade situation!
Think I'll just stick with the cheaper option.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Strange, as my last numbers on the VIN are 002867 and it's a 2009, so it's higher than the limit suggested i.e. up to 002563 in 2011.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What's your cars VIN number? does it coincide with this statement - all V8's and V10's (2008-2010) and up to and including VIN 002563 in 2011.
Is the vin number the last part in the chassi number? WUAZZZ4208N
Same thing. The VIN is the chassis number.
then it
Same thing. The VIN is the chassis number.
then i hit the jackpot with my car. I have had the car for one year now so i do not think any warrenty will cover a penny.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Is the vin number the last part in the chassi number? WUAZZZ4208N

then it

then i hit the jackpot with my car. I have had the car for one year now so i do not think any warrenty will cover a penny.
I don't have any warranty either, that's another reason I'm interested in this topic.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts