Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I haven't been in an accident before and want to turn to the pros on here. So I got rear ended at a stoplight by a semi going about 2mph. He "couldn't see me" despite the fact I was in front of him for the last mile of road.

What should I expect from insurance? Definitely going to need a new rear bumper. Anything to look out for? This is my first super car and my first accident so I'm far out of my depth here.

The big question is diminished value. I found some threads and it seems like some people have been successful on here before. What companies did people use? How did you go about it? I want to avoid an attorney if possible but will get one if needed. I bet total cost will be $5k (new bumper and paint).

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Make sure if there is any damage to the structure under the bumper cover, that it is fixed properly. It's hard to tell from the pictures how hard a hit it is, but there's an aluminum bumper under the cover. It has square tubes that slide into sockets on the frame, and a couple bolts then go in it to hold it all together. You want to be sure that all of that is OK.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
maybe i dont recognize a gen 2 bumper in close ups but i'm not really seeing any damage in those pics
either way, good luck with insurance and repairs. glad it was 2mph and not 20!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Main thing is that no one was injured. Based on the looks seems like a pretty slow speed collision. Only way to keep this off the records would be if the rear ender pays out of pocket which a lot of people prefer anyway in order to avoid having going through their insurance and getting their record messed up. Especially if the damage isn't that at $5K or less. So something for OP to explore. As a side note, even if a $5K record does show up on Carfax, for a vehicle of this value, I don't see that as being THAT big of a deal that it would necessarily have a significant impact on the future value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agree with @PhelWen - you need to see if Diminished Value is available in your state. Sadly in my state, they feel once a car is repaired, it's considered to be as good as new. We all know a wreck on your car's record will drop the value so I think it's unfortunate where certain states don't allow for it. Glad damage looks minimal at best and hoping for the best in your case!

Reactions: PhelWen

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
687 Posts
You’ll have to do some work to get this, but make a claim for diminishment of value.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Based on the damage and the time required, if it were me, I would just take it to a body shop to fill in the rear bumper cover and have it repainted.

·
Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
218 Posts
Based on the damage and the time required, if it were me, I would just take it to a body shop to fill in the rear bumper cover and have it repainted.
Same - I'd just pay for the repair and ask 3rd party if they will cover it. Still cheaper as no claim on insurance and vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts