Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We are currently in the process of tooling up for some R8 parts to add to our range. We are working on side blade sets for both the Gen 1 & Gen 2 and also some engine bay components for both to begin with.
We have been discussing making a rear wing for the Gen 2, so that we can offer a set of parts (side blades and rear wing complete) so that owners can get the V10 Plus look on their car if they don't have it already.

Wanted to get people's thoughts on rear wings, what they like, don't like etc etc.

We have seen Vorsteiner seems to be the most popular aftermarket product which is of course much bigger than the standard wing. We have thrown ideas around about making an OEM style wing but with adjustable mounting arms (still carbon as opposed so machined) for those who want to play around with the aero on their car.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can’t add anything from Gen 2 perspective, yet :), but what I will add is that from a Gen 1 point of view I fitted the Maxton Design spoiler as this is very similar to an OEM GT spoiler and I know it is very popular amongst Gen 1 owners. This could suggest that many owners want to mod their car, but also keep a reasonably standard look, as in it could of feasibly come out of the factory like that.

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
828 Posts
Well i have the Gen 2 Audi performance parts wing and I love it. Everyone who's seen it says the same thing. IMO it's the best looking wing visually. Best structurally, and provides a lot of downforce as intended by Audi.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have Gen 1 and a rear wing similar to the GT style, maybe 1 inch higher. I like the stock look of it, flows with the car's natural lines. My problem with it and something that I'm sure most of us would want is something that is of a higher quality CF and near perfect fit. Mine is CF, from a vendor in California where I have purchased many aftermarket parts from. The quality of the wing is good, but should be better, especially for a 4k pricetag. IMO, if the fit and finish is near perfect, you can ask whatever you want. I don't like putting lower quality parts on my car. It's like putting a Walmart dress on a Super Model. Nothing against Walmart. :sneaky:

·
Vendor
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can’t add anything from Gen 2 perspective, yet :), but what I will add is that from a Gen 1 point of view I fitted the Maxton Design spoiler as this is very similar to an OEM GT spoiler and I know it is very popular amongst Gen 1 owners. This could suggest that many owners want to mod their car, but also keep a reasonably standard look, as in it could of feasibly come out of the factory like that.
Great point, thanks for the reply.

·
Vendor
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have the Gen 2 Audi performance parts wing and I love it. Everyone who's seen it says the same thing. IMO it's the best looking wing visually. Best structurally, and provides a lot of downforce as intended by Audi.
I have a similar opinion, love the look and of course the Audi wing has had a huge amount of development to create it for both visual and aero purposes. My gut feeling is that we will develop something very similar to the standard wing (we have at least change it ever so slightly for obvious reasons)

·
Vendor
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Gen 1 and a rear wing similar to the GT style, maybe 1 inch higher. I like the stock look of it, flows with the car's natural lines. My problem with it and something that I'm sure most of us would want is something that is of a higher quality CF and near perfect fit. Mine is CF, from a vendor in California where I have purchased many aftermarket parts from. The quality of the wing is good, but should be better, especially for a 4k pricetag. IMO, if the fit and finish is near perfect, you can ask whatever you want. I don't like putting lower quality parts on my car. It's like putting a Walmart dress on a Super Model. Nothing against Walmart. :sneaky:
Completely agree. I won't bore with all the different methods for tooling up for carbon parts, but for something like a rear wing, there is only one way which CAD drawn from a perfect model of the car, and then patterns/mould etc CNC machined to maintain accuracy and then subsequently make a dimensionally perfect part (which then has to be perfectly finished etc.
The downside of this is its time consuming and expensive. I'd love to bring out a couple of different style wings! But for the time being we will gather as much research and opinions as we can to create something that fits as many tastes as we can!

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
85 Posts
Besides the GT wing style, I would love to see an LMS-style wing for track-focused R8's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts