Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think the recession has done to the value of R8's? No one ever really tells the truth on forums, but it looks like a car that would have been worth $150K pre/recession is now worth $120K. That's a $30K drop. Unlike real estate and even stocks, the value of cars never goes back up so that $30K drop is permanent. That means during the entire life of 2008 R8's there is a $30K dent in the price history. But as soon as the recession is over, prices will be restored for the model year after the recovery. Just the 2008 R8's have taken the big hit.

This is also happening with Ferrari and Lamborhgini. So does that make the 2008 generation of R8's an incredible bargain on the used car market?

This price drop has opened up the sales of R8's to a lower purchasing group. Soon the selling price of an used R8 will be under $100K which makes it affordable to people who would have never dreamed of buying such a car.

Does this dilute the exclusive appeal of the car?

I received offers for three, in stock, 2009 R8's at MSRP. They could be purchased for under MSRP with a little negotiation.:mad:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Check out other threads, and you will see that we have the same (or bigger) problem in the UK. Not just with R8, but with Lambo and Ferrari as well........

No, it does not dilute the appeal.................

·
Registered
485 Posts
It is still a rare sighting to see an R8 on the freeway. I’ve seen 3 on the road, two parked on the street in past 1.5 years... Saw a bunch in and out of the dealers. My car is arriving soon, they are sticking to MSRP. I am lacking in negotiation skill, but I did try.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The most I have seen off of MSRP is 5k, but most dealers are only doing MSRP. Some are still foolish enough to think they will get 10-20k over sticker

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
What do you think the recession has done to the value of R8's? No one ever really tells the truth on forums, but it looks like a car that would have been worth $150K pre/recession is now worth $120K. That's a $30K drop. Unlike real estate and even stocks, the value of cars never goes back up so that $30K drop is permanent. That means during the entire life of 2008 R8's there is a $30K dent in the price history. But as soon as the recession is over, prices will be restored for the model year after the recovery. Just the 2008 R8's have taken the big hit.

This is also happening with Ferrari and Lamborhgini. So does that make the 2008 generation of R8's an incredible bargain on the used car market?

This price drop has opened up the sales of R8's to a lower purchasing group. Soon the selling price of an used R8 will be under $100K which makes it affordable to people who would have never dreamed of buying such a car.

Does this dilute the exclusive appeal of the car?

I received offers for three, in stock, 2009 R8's at MSRP. They could be purchased for under MSRP with a little negotiation.:mad:
Opinions on this subject will vary greatly. IMHO..the question is "why the vehicle sold for 150K in the first place"..
I have never paid over MSRP for any car..as I have posted before. The littlest effort can yield great results. My 91 NSX,06 M6,05 Ford GT,05 Elise were all purchased at MSRP or below at a time when others were willing to pay market "markups"..
Very few cars will appreciate unless bought specifically for that purpose,stored properly and sold when the vehicle spurs the attention of collectors.
Ferrari,one that has typically bucked this trend, is now available to anyone at MSRP..The R8 is a practical vehicle
( albeit a sexy,technologically advanced ,beautiful and limited production practical vehicle) and for that reason will be "driven" by most of its owners ..
Mileage will have a great deal to do with established values. For that reason, I suspect used ( excuse me ,pre-driven) r8s will be all over the market..I have seen cars with 20K miles on them in 12 months..All my above cars combined did not have that much mileage when sold..
R8s will maintain value better than most but are not immune to market conditions. Who drives the car is less an issue than how many are driven..The car is limited and will be accompanied by V10 $150K version shortly..I would not buy an R8 or any car these days with the intent of making money on it..If one can drive this car a year or two and it costs $10-15 K to do so..this would be quite acceptable to me. I have a spyder on order at MSRP..I will most probably sell my current R8 at time of delivery and depending on whether Audi maintains ltd production numbers will determine its value..If I sell it for $110K , I would be thrilled.
My .02.
Happy Holidays

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, $30K off of $25K over MSRP. Depending on the mileage, I'd say you're still looking near MSRP for low miles, maybe $10-20K less for 8K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
But as soon as the recession is over, prices will be restored...
You think this USA/World financial crisis is a short term blimp on the chart? LOL.. This crisis is NOT like a cold, where all will return back to "normal" in a short time. The new World financial realities are fundamental, very significant, and permanent.

A HUGE portion of the old, pre-crisis, USA/World economy was created by over leveraged, speculation money that was borrowed via improperly collateralized credit. This HUGE part of the USA/World economy that was made using such practices, is NEVER going to return. Never! And that huge percent of the USA/World economy that was created and supported by such monies, will NOT be coming back anytime in the foreseeable future.

Such high levels of wealth will need to be rebuilt brick by brick, with slow, deliberate, sound financial means. It's going to take decades... And such pre-crisis wealth can only then be replaced, if, and only if, new, revolutionary technologies are discovered and implemented,... or, if the staggering World population growth, can be dramatically slowed or reduced.

Hopefully, you are someone who is, or will be, making money through this painful future financial reality. If not, I hope you are in a good enough position to withstand some significant, overall, permanent value loss in all equities,.. including the Audi R8.

In the meantime, go out and enjoy your R8. That's what it was made for!

·
Registered
718 Posts
100% agree.

It means that those who could never have afforded a late used model sports car, can now do so (asuming they didn't loose their money in the crash !).

Over here, Porsche have crashed in price - many dealers have too much stock of new cars. Name your price and get a deal.

It also (probably) means that there will be fewer new sports manufactured, so more exclusivity, since there is no point in making cars if no-one can afford to buy them.

The V10 will be rare anyway - no more than 10-25% of R8 production will be the V10 model. Audi's policy is the keep V8 and V10 production limited in any event. So, if you get a V10 it will be a rare and exclusive beast.

And yes, forget about getting your money back on the car; these days are gone for the forseable future.

So buy it to enjoy, or don't buy at all !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
pricing will certainly be affected and it is showing. There are dealers with stock sitting in their showroom floor that's not selling. It's a great time to buy. Who knows, if the economy gets any worse in the next two qtrs, expect to see discounts. The V10 will be a different story as it is even more limited. No matter how you look at it, it is a depreciating asset. Buy it for the fun of the ownership. Not at how much it is worth in a yr or two.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The last figures I had, were that Audi make around 25-30 R8 per working day in total.

In the future, 10-25% of these will be V10 - say 3-7 V10 per day, perhaps 750 - 1600 per year for worldwide sale ???

No doubt Kreso can provide updated figures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is another thread that deals with this subject:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2477

The price of exotic cars has dropped $25K - $30K. The MSRP of a base 2008 R8 was $120K-$130K. Forget those additional dealer markups. Deduct the ding done by the recession and you get the current value of $100K.

The real question is, does this dent in the value of 2008 R8's continue for the life of the car in the used car market or does it ever have a chance to recuperate? I don't think so. Unlike real estate or even stocks, cars are a depreciating asset and once it suffers a loss there is no comeback.

This makes the 2008 R8, and maybe even the 2009 models, a unique blip in the price structure of used cars. They will always be underpriced compared to 2010 models and beyond, separated by that $25K-$30K gap.

I can't think of any time this has ever happened before in the Ferrari or Lamborghini world. But it is happening to the R8 as well as the Ferrari 360 and F430 and the Lambo Gallardo and Murci.

This is a unique time to buy a used R8, 360, F430, Gallardo or Murci for an all time low price. This opens up the world of exotics to an entire new group of price sensitive buyers who would have never ventured into the realm of exotics before this opportunity.

Does this downgrading of target buyers dilute the brand. Is the prestige of owning a high priced exotic no longer an honor for the super rich?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think resale value of cars today are not only affected by the current global economy, but enthusiast forums such as this one. The available information on these forums make for an easy comparison and also because of how fast this information travels, pricing or resale can also be negatively affected

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is another thread that deals with this subject:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2477

The price of exotic cars has dropped $25K - $30K. The MSRP of a base 2008 R8 was $120K-$130K. Forget those additional dealer markups. Deduct the ding done by the recession and you get the current value of $100K.

The real question is, does this dent in the value of 2008 R8's continue for the life of the car in the used car market or does it ever have a chance to recuperate? I don't think so. Unlike real estate or even stocks, cars are a depreciating asset and once it suffers a loss there is no comeback.

This makes the 2008 R8, and maybe even the 2009 models, a unique blip in the price structure of used cars. They will always be underpriced compared to 2010 models and beyond, separated by that $25K-$30K gap.

I can't think of any time this has ever happened before in the Ferrari or Lamborghini world. But it is happening to the R8 as well as the Ferrari 360 and F430 and the Lambo Gallardo and Murci.

This is a unique time to buy a used R8, 360, F430, Gallardo or Murci for an all time low price. This opens up the world of exotics to an entire new group of price sensitive buyers who would have never ventured into the realm of exotics before this opportunity.

Does this downgrading of target buyers dilute the brand. Is the prestige of owning a high priced exotic no longer an honor for the super rich?
100k really? Where did you see that?

·
Registered
482 Posts
100k really? Where did you see that?
I have also yet to see the pricing of the R8 drop to this level in the states. Unfortunately, it is just too easy for anyone to come into a forum to make such claims. This does negatively play with the values of our cars, so for those seriously looking for a R8, be wary of what you hear on the forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t mean to offend any R8 owners about their perceived values of their cars, I’m just pointing out the reality that has hit the entire exotic car market.

This is from Edmunds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/au...193482&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

Add Options to this 2008 Audi R8 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD w/Manual Trade-In $82,125
Private Party $88,508
Dealer Retail $93,323

You can go to any Audi dealer and ask them what they would give you for your 2008 R8 in trade for a V10 R8. Or go to a Ferrari or Lambo dealer and trade your R8 for a new car. They will tell you values based on the Edmunds chart.

Every Ferrari or Lambo that was valued at $130K-$140K six months ago is now worth approximately $100K-$110K.

Simply the total number of able and willing buyers has dramatically shrunk. Anyone wanting to sell their used exotic will face these prices.

However, this was the not the intent of my original post. I assumed this new reality of pricing have already been accepted and I wanted to know how these price drops play out for the rest of the life of the car.

Is there ever a chance that a 2008 R8 could ever regain some value? Or does the normal depreciation schedule of $10K per year apply after the big drop?

Does an exotic for under $100K open up the market to a whole new lower tier of buyers and does this dilute the brand?

This price drop has completely destroyed the myth of the Garage Queens. Those people who were saving, preserving and not driving their cars in hopes of squeezing out an additional profit upon resale have just lost any advantage of having a low mileage car. The good news is Garage Queens can rejoice because they have been liberated to go out and drive their cars now.

This is a new world of exotic ownership and I’m curious about what the new rules will be.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Add Options to this 2008 Audi R8 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD w/Manual Trade-In $82,125
Private Party $88,508
Dealer Retail $93,323
Son, you need to drop by an Audi dealer for a wake up call - or look through the listings on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc.

Many, if not all, of us have been following R8 prices for years - including me. I have NEVER seen a 2008 R8 change hands at an Audi dealer for $93K - or a private party sale for $88K. It's going to be some time before you can pick one up at these prices and wishing it so won't make it so.

Many members on this forum that own R8s ordered them months/years ago and bought them to enjoy, not to speculate (as WAS commonly done prior to the economic melt down).

Edmunds is simply the first to publish SOMETHING on the R8's value.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don’t mean to offend any R8 owners about their perceived values of their cars, I’m just pointing out the reality that has hit the entire exotic car market.

This is from Edmunds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/au...193482&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

Private Party $88,508
Dealer Retail $93,323

You can go to any Audi dealer and ask them what they would give you for your 2008 R8 in trade for a V10 R8. Or go to a Ferrari or Lambo dealer and trade your R8 for a new car. They will tell you values based on the Edmunds chart.

Every Ferrari or Lambo that was valued at $130K-$140K six months ago is now worth approximately $100K-$110K.

Simply the total number of able and willing buyers has dramatically shrunk. Anyone wanting to sell their used exotic will face these prices.

However, this was the not the intent of my original post. I assumed this new reality of pricing have already been accepted and I wanted to know how these price drops play out for the rest of the life of the car.

Is there ever a chance that a 2008 R8 could ever regain some value? Or does the normal depreciation schedule of $10K per year apply after the big drop?

Does an exotic for under $100K open up the market to a whole new lower tier of buyers and does this dilute the brand?

This price drop has completely destroyed the myth of the Garage Queens. Those people who were saving, preserving and not driving their cars in hopes of squeezing out an additional profit upon resale have just lost any advantage of having a low mileage car. The good news is Garage Queens can rejoice because they have been liberated to go out and drive their cars now.

This is a new world of exotic ownership and I’m curious about what the new rules will be.
I GUARANTEE you that no dealer is going to reference anything Edmunds has to say about an R8's value. If anything Edmunds is a reference for buyers, not car dealers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Son, you need to drop by an Audi dealer for a wake up call - or look through the listings on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc.

Many, if not all, of us have been following R8 prices for years - including me. I have NEVER seen a 2008 R8 change hands at an Audi dealer for $93K - or a private party sale for $88K. It's going to be some time before you can pick one up at these prices and wishing it so won't make it so.

Many members on this forum that own R8s ordered them months/years ago and bought them to enjoy, not to speculate (as WAS commonly done prior to the economic melt down).

Edmunds is simply the first to publish SOMETHING on the R8's value.

Father, I humbly submit the following evidence of the collapse of the exotic car market:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226305
A Ferrari 2003 360 Spider with 3,500 miles valued at $150K only months ago now has sold at $99K.

Some would view this car as superior to the R8 nevertheless it has sold at $99K.

This is the reverse of sticker shock. It is sticker slide. Many will still be in denial to believe that their car is worth $30K less in a matter of two months, but that is the reality. Those dreamers can be seen listed on Autotrader, Cars.com and Ebay. Incredibly you see R8's listed for $170K. I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just forgot to remove their old listings. Look further down the list of cars for sale and the more realistic values of $120K are seen. However, those too are dreaming. The real value and the value at which these cars are selling, if any are indeed selling, is $100K.

You can prove this to yourself by asking your Audi dealer how much they will give you for your car. Father, please sit down when you hear the news.

You may have followed the R8 pricing for years, but in the car market it is, "What have you done for me lately" that matters. In the last two months the big 3 auto companies are begging for survival and exotic cars have taken a $20K-$30K hit right between the eyes.

Now if you can get over the shock, please try to answer my questions about the remaining depreciated value over the life of the car and about the brand image being tarnished by lower level buyers.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
A Ferrari 2003 360 Spider with 3,500 miles valued at $150K only months ago now has sold at $99K. Some would view this car as superior to the R8 nevertheless it has sold at $99K.
So what's your point? The R8 was never intended to be a Ferrari nor is it priced like a Ferrari. The R8 can be driven daily, costs MUCH less to insure and then there's maintenance - Ferrari vs. Audi - who wins that?

Now if you can get over the shock, please try to answer my questions about the remaining depreciated value over the life of the car and about the brand image being tarnished by lower level buyers.
I bought the R8 because German engineering is far superior to most other manufacturers. I like the cars Audi makes and did not buy the R8 to make a buck. I don't care diddly squat that the value went down the day I drove it off the lot. "Brand image being tarnished by low level buyers"? What planet are you from?

In the last two months the big 3 auto companies are begging for survival and exotic cars have taken a $20K-$30K hit right between the eyes.
I think you're looking for the GM Forum. It's here... http://www.topix.net/forum/com/gm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts