Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R8, V10, cabrio
I have had the air compressor changed 3 times since I bought it new in 2012. All 3 times replaced on warranty since I took the extended warranty.
This week it broke for the 4th time and needs to be replaced again ( estimate $10,000 cdn dollars)

My intention is to take this to small claims court using the consumer protection law that says more or less that "items should last a reasonable amount of time"
This will be the 4th replacement on only 80,000 KM or 49,000 miles. I don't anticipate a problem winning.

Graciously or not, the manufacturer offered me a discount if I bought a new car.
I would appreciate any experiences that may help me in taking this to claims court
AND also knowing if anyone else has had this recurring problem

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm on my fourth compressor on my 2012. Third one lasted 2 years...

What is the trick to getting these to last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, so there is someone else out there with a similar problem. My last one also lasted 2 years and 7000 Km.
The problem I anticipate is spending the money for a 4th and the same thing happens again.
This time it seems that not only the compressor but also the "dryer".
Not sure if this is the original problem as it is the first time I hear of that term

Did you pay each time

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
132 Posts
Small claims court for what ? Court claims are for recovering loss/damages which you have not suffered.
They failed and were covered fully I assume.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not quite sure what you mean. Since the value of my vehicle would be less valuable by the amount of repairs, I assume that I have suffered a loss. However, consumer law in my area allows me to make a claim on an item that did not last a reasonable amount of time. My assumption is that 4 air conditioners in such a short time would fall in that category.
However, I am not yet at the stage of preparing for court, I am only trying to figure out if there are other such cases like mine concerning air conditioning as I am collecting information.
Also, not sure what to do if i do repair for $10,000 and it breaks yet again after 5 to 10,000 miles

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just curious for those folks who's AC compressor hasn't lasted long - do you use it regularly? I don't mean the car, basically curious what percent of the time you're driving the car the compressor is active.

My understanding is the system is shaft driven and clutchless, so essentially always spinning, and there's some speculation that running the car a lot without the AC can shorten the life of the compressor (lack of lubrication when deactivated but spinning is the speculation I've seen). This seems like a massive oversight if true, but as I haven't come across any other good explanation, I'm curious to see if the anecdotal evidence agrees with the hypothesis.

I bought my car used, not sure if the previous owner replaced the compressor ever, but I've gone ~26k miles since buying it with no issues (knock on wood) and my AC is basically always running (even with windows down).

People have mentoined heat cycling in other threads, but given three different configurations (LP Gallardo, V10 R8, V8 R8) all have similar issues with different packaging and there seems to be a massive variety in how long they last, that seems like an odd explanation. Not necessarily incorrect, but odd.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Just curious for those folks who's AC compressor hasn't lasted long - do you use it regularly? I don't mean the car, basically curious what percent of the time you're driving the car the compressor is active.

My understanding is the system is shaft driven and clutchless, so essentially always spinning, and there's some speculation that running the car a lot without the AC can shorten the life of the compressor (lack of lubrication when deactivated but spinning is the speculation I've seen). This seems like a massive oversight if true, but as I haven't come across any other good explanation, I'm curious to see if the anecdotal evidence agrees with the hypothesis.

I bought my car used, not sure if the previous owner replaced the compressor ever, but I've gone ~26k miles since buying it with no issues (knock on wood) and my AC is basically always running (even with windows down).

People have mentoined heat cycling in other threads, but given three different configurations (LP Gallardo, V10 R8, V8 R8) all have similar issues with different packaging and there seems to be a massive variety in how long they last, that seems like an odd explanation. Not necessarily incorrect, but odd.
I agree it would be interesting to see data from the folks who have had very short-lived units and many replacements.

While my situation is only another anecdotal data point, I very rarely use the A/C, and it's now 7+ years old and all original. I mainly drive with the windows down, so I turn off the A/C and only leave the ventilation system blowing / circulating air. Every once in a great while, I'll put the windows up and turn on the A/C if it's unbearably hot. I keep the temperature knob near dead center or one click cooler (I think that's in the 70 - 72F range).

Reactions: geffers

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't use the car in winter months but since it is a cabrio, i do use it when hot, but I would say that I do not use it often, but I do use it. It was also a question I asked myself

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
My question to the unfortunate owners who have had multple failures is this - Was only the compressor changed? The reason I'm asking is because I've just changed the compressor on my wifes Q3 and the garage wouldn't issue a gaurantee unless I CHANGED THE CONDENSER AS WELL! The reason given was that there's a filter built into the condenser, that if not changed could lead to debris passing through the system and destroying the new compressor at some point in the future.

Mine is in use all the time I'm driving.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if they changed the condenser...will check it out
However this time they are changing "the dryer"
anyone know what this would be in relation to the air conditioner

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Not sure if they changed the condenser...will check it out
However this time they are changing "the dryer"
anyone know what this would be in relation to the air conditioner
It's function is to remove any traces of water in the A/C system

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Concerning the dryer, I had complained a few times about water leaking on my right foot as I drove. Can I make the assumption that the dryer was not working?

Concerning whether the air conditioner is used often or not, I think I remember the mechanic telling me that the air conditioning button is always on but not sure if this is accurate. If so, then that would presumably allow the parts to properly lubricate

In either case, it is remarkable that it breaks so often. Really confused as to whether to chance another repair

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Concerning the dryer, I had complained a few times about water leaking on my right foot as I drove. Can I make the assumption that the dryer was not working?

Concerning whether the air conditioner is used often or not, I think I remember the mechanic telling me that the air conditioning button is always on but not sure if this is accurate. If so, then that would presumably allow the parts to properly lubricate

In either case, it is remarkable that it breaks so often. Really confused as to whether to chance another repair
If there was a leak on the dryer you would lose gas, the water is probably condensation that should go to the floor, it indicates a blocked drain line.
A/C is not operating all the time, only when engaged via the contol panel.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
My question to the unfortunate owners who have had multple failures is this - Was only the compressor changed? The reason I'm asking is because I've just changed the compressor on my wifes Q3 and the garage wouldn't issue a gaurantee unless I CHANGED THE CONDENSER AS WELL! The reason given was that there's a filter built into the condenser, that if not changed could lead to debris passing through the system and destroying the new compressor at some point in the future.

Mine is in use all the time I'm driving.
This is probably an important point.

If a failure causes (or was the result of) a systemic problem, now future compressors will suffer the same fate. If we assume that someone wasn't "unlucky" enough to get 4 sub-optimal compressors (all failing prematurely), then it would beg the question whether there's another un-addressed factor present (e.g., debris in the system) that's causing good units to fail.

Reactions: geffers and DaveL

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I checked my previous repair bills and from what I can see, only the compressor was changed.
Does anyone know what effect the dryer would have in the whole air conditioning system

MORE SPECIFICALLY My question is how the dryer could also have a leak? Was it always there and did it cause the 3 compressors to fail?

The previous 3 times it was the compressor and now it seems it is both compressor and dryer.

Could the dryer have been the culprit from the start?

My previous repair bills that the insurance paid on the compressor was $2300 US. Now that the dryer has to be changed ($1500 US), this involves removing the motor $3166 US plus the compressor for a total of approx. $8000 US
So the question I have is how do both the compressor and dryer co-relate in all of this
As you can tell I am not very informed on mechanics and would appreciate any insight on this

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Any leak will not cause your compressor to fail, it is protected by pressure sensors to prevent this. If the compressor has failed internally, debris will enter the system and circulate until it gets back to your new compressor and then it will be damaged again. The dryer is to remove any water present, recipricating a/c compressors do not like water as it doesn't compress.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any leak will not cause your compressor to fail, it is protected by pressure sensors to prevent this. If the compressor has failed internally, debris will enter the system and circulate until it gets back to your new compressor and then it will be damaged again. The dryer is to remove any water present, recipricating a/c compressors do not like water as it doesn't compress.
Thanks DaveL, I see you know your stuff
Is it correct to assume that either debris keeps getting in or it was always present

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hi

Why do you spend so much money? a compressor doesn't even cost 200 USD and it can be changed without removing the engine. The compressors break if there is not enough oil in them. Audi has increased the amount of oil and it doesn't do any harm if this amount is increased.

Tom

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm a little confused about the price of $200 USD
The estimate I have from the Audi dealer for the COMPRESSOR ONLY excluding other small parts is for approx $1400 US
The estimate for the dryer is $1500
From what I understand, I need both units to operate the AC
and the motor needs to be removed to get access to the Dryer

Where can I buy this compresor for $200 US

1 - 20 of 29 Posts