Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seats are electric red, I've noticed some dark blue staining. Had a leather expert look at it. He said they cannot be cleaned. He could try to re-dye it, but it would not look great... so he suggested they cut and re-sew the seams with brand new OEM leather. His shop does this for the high end dealers.

Other than that, the seat is perfect condition. Curious if others have come across this... Its about $500 to get the seats resews with brand new leather. I'm not in a rush to do it, but probably do it in a few months... TIA

·
Registered
Switzer GTR, Protomotive 996TT, RS4, 17 Suzuka R8
45 Posts
I would try some leather cleaners before cutting up my seats.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yes as above, try some leather cleaner. You could also afford to try some aggessive cleaners as even if it takes the dye out of the leather, it would still be cheaper to re-stain the leather than re-cover it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I should have been more clear. I tried multiple cleaners including Lexox, Leatherique, etc. Detailed tried a more aggressive cleaner but it was taking the red dye off. So it cannot be cleaned off.

Here's a good read on this topic Blue Jean transfer and Leatherique | Ask a Pro Blog

You can only see it in direct sunlight... so I have no problem living with it for a while. But researching options of 1) get sections cut and resewn with OEM 2) order a new bottom seat cover to replace current.

Looking for others experiences of replacing seat sections.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you use the Leatherique Pristine clean or Rejuvinator oil?

if you used the Rej oil did you give it a lot of time in the sun to do it’s work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe Murphy Oil Soap? I've had success with that on various hard to clean leather. Also have heard rave reviews about Leatherique, so I'm surprised that you aren't getting good results. I saw a friends seats that were a disaster before and amazing after, so I know it's a good product.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have had my jeans stain my red seats a couple of times and my detail guy has always been able to get it off. What kind of jeans you wearing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts