Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm getting a red R8 but can't decide whether to get the blades in oxygen silver or carbon?
My 1st choice is silver bec ..Its more unique and has character besides most people are going for carbon already.

Anyone know how much a set of carbon blades cost?

Pls help me in deciding..

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
personally I prefer red with carbon as the dark blades match the contrast of the other black plastic trim on the car.

oemplus.com has the v8 carbon blades at $4,295

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Hi,

I'm getting a red R8 but can't decide whether to get the blades in oxygen silver or carbon?
My 1st choice is silver bec ..Its more unique and has character besides most people are going for carbon already.

Anyone know how much a set of carbon blades cost?

Pls help me in deciding..
When I got my CF blades from Audi (in June 2008) the cost was $4355.18 for the pair and they charged me $220 for installation for a total of $4575.18.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
personally I prefer red with carbon as the dark blades match the contrast of the other black plastic trim on the car.

oemplus.com has the v8 carbon blades at $4,295
I concur.

Current order guide for the V8 and V10 list this at $2,300 (option code 6H3).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! is that US$2,300 per side or for a pair? :)

Also, Did you guys buy original r8 car cover or any generic cover will do? My r8 will be parked indoor and basically will just need something to protect from dust :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think either would look great but Carbon probably the best as the bright red AND Oxygen may be a little too bright!

I have seen both though and would be happy with either!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went back and forth on this issue for a while with my red R8. I finally picked carbon and am very happy I did. Both combos look good on the car in my opinion, but as Garyhun said the red and oxygen silver together are quite bright.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank Bfin, did you ever consider buying both blades and just change them depending whatever your mood is? :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
thanks! is that US$2,300 per side or for a pair?
that is the price of opting to upgrade the blades to carbon at order time - are you still able to spec the car or is it used/already specced and you're looking to buy a set of additional blades to change them to?

it's not trivial to change the blades over:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did consider buying both. I planned on optioning the carbon blades and buying the oxygen silver second hand off something like Ebay. I haven't looked in a while, but at one point (about a year ago) you could buy a set of painted blades on ebay for between $500 - $800. I believe a member of the forum, KYSoldier, did just that for his Red R8.

I became a big fan of the carbon blades once I got my car, so much that I didn't want to ever change them out.....therefore I never purchased the silver blades. Also, originally I was hoping I could change the blades on my own, but after reading some posts I realized that it's quite a process didn't want to take the risk of screwing something up.

·
Registered
761 Posts
CF blades all the way! Have them on my current V8 and will have them on my upcoming V10.

But for a red R8, I find the oxygen silver blades to be striking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks randombloke and bfin. your comments really helped a lot :)

actually my car is out now with oxygen silver blades. dealer is giving me the option to tradein my silver blades and upgrade to carbon blades for extra US$2,000. :D

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
actually my car is out now with oxygen silver blades. dealer is giving me the option to tradein my silver blades and upgrade to carbon blades for extra US$2,000
that sounds like a very good deal.

either way, I think the r8 in red looks stunning in the flesh - photos rarely do it justice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts