Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a place that can refinish the aluminum shifter. If there's a place in Houston that would be ideal or a place to send it off to have it refinished.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fairly easy DIY if not too bad. Knob screws off. You have to push the black cap off from the hole in the inside (i used a dowel) and there is a orange plastic ring that also comes out.

I used medium grit sanding screen and sand paper to knock down all the gouges on the aluminum. Then I used a dremel with some polishing compound and the blue rubber polishing point to finish.

It looks decent and took maybe 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not too familiar with working with aluminum I'm tempted but the shifter is so **** expensive for what it is so not sure how I feel about that

·
Registered
518 Posts
I spent about £25 to get mine buffed at a metal works locally, came out like new, but the original has some sort of coating or lacquer and of course the refinished one won't. The bare aluminium can leave dark marks on your hand but you'd have to be doing a track day to come even close to it actually happening. Do a search for local metal fabricators or polishers.

https://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-general-discussion/127146-had-my-knob-buffed-today.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like I need to get this done also.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts