Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car went into an Audi dealership for a minor issue.

My usual approach is to politely ask the service manager not to wash the car. Did the same on this occasion.

Anyhow I get the car back and notice the wheels are damaged by some sort of harsh cleaner. All 4 of them.

Pics are attached. Likely an acidic cleaner with a long term dwell time. You can see the marking on the brake hat. Anyway only way to fix Matt wheels like this is a full respray.

Called the dealership and indeed it was washed despite me asking them not to. Irritated to say the least as the car wasn’t even dirty.

The joys of a dealership experience!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
That is disgraceful. It would be unacceptable if you hadn't asked them not to wash it.

Reactions: melland

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even worse, that kind of cleaner should never go anywhere near ceramic brakes, it knackers the discs! :eek:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Another reason a dealer can get a bad reputation. Something I recently discovered when taking my BMW in for a courtesy wash, I was advised the cleaning crew is a sub-contractor hired by the dealer. Apparently in my situation the cleaning company worked many different car dealers in the area and had their own crews doing the work. Might be another avenue to look into if this is the case with your dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dealerships can't even perform maintenance on your car without messing at least one thing up. "Courtesy" just means it's guaranteed.

Worst part about Audi is that Audi USA wants nothing to do with you - the dealership has all the power. So if they screw you, good luck getting their help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Interesting. The last time I took my car in for routine service, they did a mini-detail (interior vacuum, shampoo, wiped all surfaces, exterior wash and wax) free of charge then parked the car in front of the dealership near the service department. Anyone dropping and picking up their cars could see it in full view. Guess it's good for business. That said I always do a walk around when I pick up my car. Mercedes dealership curbed one of the rims on my 2018 e63s and it was a struggle getting it replaced.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys. I was offered the following

1. Repair of all 4 wheels - I declined as colour matching is impossible and it wouldn't look right to my eyes

2. A full respray of all 4 wheels which I declined as the decals would be lost

The issue is that the performance parts wheels are about 12-13K delivered into Australia and because they are no longer produced the dealer simply can’t source them. I was firm but polite about wanting them replaced.

I was able to find a new set through my own channels and purchase them. It was a gamble as I wasn’t sure of the outcome. Met with the service manager who was very apologetic. He reimbursed me for the new set and has agreed to take the old set once I have the new ones fitted.

It is a very good result in the end and I suppose a lesson for the dealer. I felt bad as I didn’t want to get anyone into trouble but I had no option.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey guys. I was offered the following

1. Repair of all 4 wheels - I declined as colour matching is impossible and it wouldn't look right to my eyes

2. A full respray of all 4 wheels which I declined as the decals would be lost

The issue is that the performance parts wheels are about 12-13K delivered into Australia and because they are no longer produced the dealer simply can’t source them. I was firm but polite about wanting them replaced.

I was able to find a new set through my own channels and purchase them. Met with the service manager who was very apologetic. He reimbursed me for the new set and has agreed to take the old set once I have the new ones fitted

It is a very good result in the end and I suppose a lesson for the dealer. I felt bad as I didn’t want to get anyone into trouble but I had no option.
Great news.

Never feel bad about holding people accountable for what they get paid to do.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Fortunate outcome. I bet the dealership won't use that brand of wheel cleaner again.

Reactions: drgmt

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little update for those interested.

Refund processed and new wheels arrived.

Dealership now believes the damage was due to the wheels getting wet too soon after ceramic coating being applied. So it looks like they did a G technique coating without the top protective layer and the wheels got wet to soon with hard water. Water sat and etched the coating which can only be removed by abrasion (easy on gloss wheels impossible on Matt wheels).

If this is true I guess important to be careful coating Matt black wheels.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glad it got sorted out. In the future, print on a 8 x 11 that says "Please do not wash the car" then laminate that. Put it on the dash when you bring in to the dealer. Has worked for me every time without having to remind the SA.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i kinda wish something like this would happen to me... my wheels need to be re-powdercoated, would be nice to get it done for free :)
joking aside, this situation could have gone much worse. glad its sorted now op

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I’m a valued customer and spent near on 40K on performance parts and used what is a “flagship” dealership.

All of that plus being firm but polite helped.

Not to mention I send many work colleagues there for cars.

In the end made no sense burning a bridge over 12 K and I’m glad they saw that :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I always leave a sign on the dash telling them not to wash it, I don't trust the service advisors to remember if I just tell them.
Yes, I put a sign on the dash and hanging from the mirror lol why the heck are they running an R8 through the car wash lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts