Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that the R8 can be programed to operate the windows with the remote. Anyone have any info on this? Has anyone had this done in the US?

I've had my 2009 for about two and a half months and I love it. It has just over 2000 miles and I haven't had to add any oil yet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
As far as i remember, if you push and HOLD the unlock button, the car will unlock and both windows will fully open.

Likewise, when the car is unlocked with the windows down, push and HOLD the lock button and it will close the windows & lock the car.

I can't try it myself, as I sold my car.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Just tried to unlock and lower windows. No luck. Hey mfsc...can I have some highway names where you like to drive in Israel.I will google. Check out Turnbull Canyon's twistiness.In So. Cal. I'm with you on this one Merrill !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the European cars will do that, but the cars in the states won't. It may be able to be "turned on" by the dealer, but they may or may not be willing to do it for legal reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The owners manual indicates you can only do this by using a key. Hold in the lock position, windows up. Hold in the unlock position, windows down. I haven't tried it yet.. who's going to use a key anyway?

·
Registered
718 Posts
There might be a difference in the programming of the locking options between European and US cars. The car CPU can be easily re-programmed by the dealer.

MFSC: Prices for used cars are falling rapidly. I have a V10 coming in April/May, and it made sense to sell the V8 now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Remote window operation in US cars has never been a factory code in any of the last 10 years of Audi's I have owned. It is easily reprogrammed using a VAG tool and knowing the proper coding numbers. I have done it on a S4, RS6, and TT, but not yet on my R8 as I have not found the proper codes to use yet. Dealer may do it, but many may not know how to. Enough people tinker with the "cheaper" cars so these procedures are easy to find in other forums.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I have an appointment on thursday with Downtown L.A. Audi. 5000 mi. service that is an oil change and inspection. I guess I will try to sneak peaks at what will be done. My check engine light just lit up a few miles before service alert popped up. Dealer says NO software upgrades or recalls for my '08 R 8. I think I'll have tires rebalanced while there and take pics with wheels off. Does anyone have input about L.A. handling my R 8 ?? There are about ten things I'd like to change on this cars' sofware program. Maybe R84ME will pick up a dongle and fiddle with this software !!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have a Ross-Tech VAG-COM and used it to do this exact thing on my GTI. I hooked it up to the R8, and found the bits to switch are not documented as peterh mentions above.
Sure would be nice to find them out. There's a bunch of neat tweaks I would like to do, like turn off the seatbelt chime so I can use my racing harnesses without latching the stock 3-points.

MT

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have all the seatbelt and backup alarms turned off on my Prius but these programming hacks are well published on the internet. Problem with the R8s is there are just not that many. I'm sure someone will gleen the info from somewhere eventually. I just hate what manufacturers do in the name of safety. Like that JACK, for instance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
There might be a difference in the programming of the locking options between European and US cars. The car CPU can be easily re-programmed by the dealer.

MFSC: Prices for used cars are falling rapidly. I have a V10 coming in April/May, and it made sense to sell the V8 now.
as long as tou are staying in the family...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
In the name of safety ?...How 'bout an aluminum baseball bat !!! Tomorrow I'll find out what Audi is willing to do for us and our quirks. One dealer wants to charge me for 5k service and another will do it for free (includes oil change).Guess which one I will visit...Downtown L.A. Audi !! :D

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
In the name of safety ?...How 'bout an aluminum baseball bat !!!
Pinch finger in window, ouch - cut off finger completely in window - safety!

One dealer wants to charge me for 5k service and another will do it for free (includes oil change).Guess which one I will visit...Downtown L.A. Audi !! :D
Ah, the service policy was cheap! Thanks KYSOLDIER!

·
Registered
978 Posts
The VAG codes for the R8 are the same as A3 and TT. Should be easier to look those up, but I have to say that Ross Tech has improved their R8 long-coding support significantly in the last few software updates...

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Thanks gezuvor - that's helpful. I'll look into it.

mt

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Well I did succeed in turning off my seatbelt chime. In Module 17 (Instruments), I set the second digit from the right (previously an 8) to a zero. Yay, at least that works.

But the long coding support that Ross-Tech has for the windows being controlled with the remote control is confusing. According to the long coding helper, it's already active. There must be other bits somewhere to set, there were when I did it on my GTI. Then the dealer upgraded my software in that car, and wiped it out. Ugh.

mt

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just tried to do the window coding on an R8, I found two different sets of coding for A3s, but neither of them worked. I'm wondering if the coding is different for an '09 R8 and I just need to find someone who has an '09 A3 that has done the coding. Either way, i'll post something if I find out, or look forward to reading a post if someone else has figured it out.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
We probably should do this right and start a VAG-COM Coding thread. Need to inckude the above info in it.

If no one else starts one in the next day or so, I will.

mt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts