Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finish on the tank cap is damaged and it looks like it's dirty all the time. Must be due to the aggressive shampoo that carwash stations use. I can't believe that this car was not hand washed when it was at the dealer for a year but that's how it is. Anyway, in order to replace it, the inside panels had to be taken out. Would you suggest doing it or I should leave it as it is since I have a feeling I will only end up with more problems if they don't put them back correctly.

On another note, everytime when it is raining and I open/close the drivers window, there is a stain left on the inside of the window. Any suggestions what needs to be repaired?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
the streaking is a known issue on some cars, soulds like a over-enthusiastic greasing of a component inside the door.

P.S. I can't believe the car has been washed in a car wash - EEK

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't recommend removing the cap yourself. It requires removal of the sideblade and thats a can of worms in itself. You should be able to order a cap yourself and get the dealership to fit it.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I have been contemplating having my gas cap assembly powder coated black since I have the C.F. blades. Will look at Bentley instructios.Thanks:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
No need. there is a cover next to the rear quarter window. you need to poke a hole in the middle of it and pull it out (this has to be replaced every time the sideblade is removed) behind that is a t30 torx screw. Remove it. There is another t30 torx screw about half way down the main intake loosen that and remove it with a magnet. then, seperate the plastic trim of the main intake from the sideblade (it is attached with double sided tape) you need to pry it with a plastic trim tool or something like that. You then need to mask ALL edges of paintwork surrounding the sideblade. Then, open the gas hatch and unscrew the plastic cap. close it again. with the door open, pull the whole sideblade towards the front of the vehicle (it should pop out) then, unplug the overflow drain from the filler cap and electrical connector from the release. once sideblade is out, removal of fuel flap is easy as cake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, I should mention, incase its not clear, fuel flap is attached to sideblade from the rear.

I did say it was a can of worms :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't recommend removing the cap yourself. It requires removal of the sideblade and thats a can of worms in itself. You should be able to order a cap yourself and get the dealership to fit it.
Thanks, I ment to get the dealer done and would even ask to replace it with no cost since it's them who've made the damage. But like you say, it's a can of worms and maybe I should just leave it. It's not such a big deal, but it's not perfect either :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Anyone ever see a CF cap to match the side blades?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The cap is good how it is, changing it to the same colour as the sideblade just loses part of the colour contrast that makes the car look great...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
B.K. you deserve a good looking cap. Some fool must have applied a nasty aluminum wheel cleaner to the cap. I know we don't like being separated from our cars. Request an R8 V 10 loaner!!!! A C.F. assembly would be wicked.:) A wicked can of worms you could say. Might take an experienced bloke 20 Min.and hours for someone with NO prior experience...But the instructions sound followable for someone looking for a challenge. Hey Davey, have you any Mech.experience?? Some is necessary even for our Hi Tech. machines.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B.K. you deserve a good looking cap. Some fool must have applied a nasty aluminum wheel cleaner to the cap. I know we don't like being separated from our cars. Request an R8 V 10 loaner!!!! A C.F. assembly would be wicked.:) A wicked can of worms you could say. Might take an experienced bloke 20 Min.and hours for someone with NO prior experience...But the instructions sound followable for someone looking for a challenge. Hey Davey, have you any Mech.experience?? Some is necessary even for our Hi Tech. machines.:)
Man, you hit me with this one. I'm going to the dealer next week :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I realize I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but does anyone know how to remove the fuel door and trim ring on a V10 Spyder?

I've got the fender liner off, but it looks like there are four screws that need to be removed to allow it to be free of the base. The fourth screw, of course, appears to be obscured by a panel that I can't see how to remove.

I'll try to snap a pic as soon as I can, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

We're going to wrap the door in a carbon fiber and Kevlar hybrid if we can get it off. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I realize I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but does anyone know how to remove the fuel door and trim ring on a V10 Spyder?

I've got the fender liner off, but it looks like there are four screws that need to be removed to allow it to be free of the base. The fourth screw, of course, appears to be obscured by a panel that I can't see how to remove.

I'll try to snap a pic as soon as I can, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

We're going to wrap the door in a carbon fiber and Kevlar hybrid if we can get it off. :)
I'd be interested in this as well ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts