Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Personally I like the valves. We should have a button to open the valves when we want to.

·
Registered
564 Posts
me too.. sometime i would like them to open earlier.. when you dont want to speed, but you want to bark! ;O)

·
Registered
190 Posts
forgive my ignorance but what will that do removing them?
Teh valves are to help the car pass noise levels when stationary. When you put the loud pedal down these open and give the full effect of the exhaust. IF you keep the valves open you have sports sound all the time :cool:

The 3.2 TT had these and as mentioned just disconnecting the pipe allowed them to stay open.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read on another forum that these Valves (RS4 Application) don't always stay open even if you use Full Throttle and removing them has really improved performance. Apparently the Valves are operated by the ECU and only fully open up in 4th, 5th & 6th!! You can get an ECU re-map for the RS4which opens the Valves 100% in every gear.

I'll be disconnecting these babies as soon as I get my R8 and will report back with findings.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I read on another forum that these Valves (RS4 Application) don't always stay open even if you use Full Throttle and removing them has really improved performance. Apparently the Valves are operated by the ECU and only fully open up in 4th, 5th & 6th!! You can get an ECU re-map for the RS4which opens the Valves 100% in every gear.

I'll be disconnecting these babies as soon as I get my R8 and will report back with findings.
Are the valves software operated? Really? I thought is was pressure-operated. :confused:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'll try and find the link but the ECU controls the amount of vacuum/pressure that runs through the actuator lines and opens the exhaust valves. I assume they use the same system on the R8 as the RS4.

I'll be pulling these bitches out. Full stop!

Here's how it works in the RS4 it's controlled by the ECU

Non Sport mode:
exhaust flaps stay shut until 5,000k rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear.
exhaust flaps stay shut until 4,500k rpm in 4th, 5th, 6st gear.
throttle 50-60 % open till 5,500 rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
throttle 100% open 0-8,250 rpm in 4th, 5th, 6th

Sport mode:
exhaust flaps open at idling 760rpm
exhaust flaps shut from 1,000k rpm until 3,700k rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
exhaust flaps open ALL the time from 0-8250rpm in 4th, 5th, 6st gear.
throttle 50-60 % open till 5,500 rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
throttle 100% open 0-8,250 rpm in 4th, 5th, 6th

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just jammed open both valves with a screw driver through the vents.. never seemed to make much of a difference to the sound of the exhaust !?!!

Scott
:eek: :eek: I'm not sure that will work :confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is no risk of damage, its only an exhaust. What is really surprising about the RS4, is that with them disconnected (i.e. valves remain fully open at all times) the car drives much more smoothly and progressively, gives better MPG and doesn't sound much louder (certainly from within the cabin). It just sounds more characterful and fun.

That's what's really daft about it, with valves disconnected it feels a much better all-round car - with no downsides whatsoever.

Very intresting , Better sound , more power better MPG , can this be the case ?

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's what's really daft about it, with valves disconnected it feels a much better all-round car - with no downsides whatsoever.

Very intresting , Better sound , more power better MPG , can this be the case ?

Scott
I felt that way about my 360, with them disconnected :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts