Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help changing a steering wheel. I am in the process of installing a carbon fiber steering wheel. I am hoping to switch the center silver trim piece—the one that sits on the 3 spokes—to an Alcantara wrapped piece. However, I am uncertain how to remove the trim piece, and would hate to break it. Has anyone experience lifting out that piece? This install guide pictures the process but I can’t seem to get the ring to give way and worry about forcing it.
PNG image.png

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's weird. It doesn't really snap, just slides out very difficultly. Get your finger nails under there or a plastic trim tool and gently but firmly pry. I used my fingers/hand to gauge the force. It'll come loose.

I THINK you start at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the speedy reply—I love this board. It came with a sustained pull from the bottom inside ring. There are two male tabs that extend out from the bottom spoke of the trim that pulled gradually out of a slot and then everything followed. New wheel installed and ready to spin!
41EBF8DB-41C7-47A9-8145-2CC49D20B09A.jpeg

·
Registered
97 Posts

Congrats on the install. Welcome to the club!

Is your center tunnel alcantara?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I put in an Alcantara tunnel section along with a GT Caron fiber insert. The insert was a little hard to find and was produced by Muse Design which has some shops in Australia and (I think) Japan. The tunnel section was a bit of a project but I really like how it softens the interior and gets rid of a large chunk of plastic. This is probably the best upgrade I have made to make it feel more like a luxury vehicle.

IMG_2502.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts