Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
Front bumper needs to come, why they didnt offer the black optics from the start is beyond me. It's a must mod so I would have it done at a shop unless you really know what you are doing. Also if you think you might ever do an installed laser/radar setup this would be the time to do it

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a black optics grill coming. Wondering about self install or shop.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It’s not dissimilar to other Audi grill switches. Not hard or complicated if you’re a decent wrencher. Just very tedious and time consuming taking the front fascia off. Then lots of care is required to not break tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a shop do it - tons of clips, glad I had it done professionally. Looks 10x better than the stupid silver one they put on. AUDI should get sued for including those silver ones.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hahaha, yes, lots of clips and tabs on that job! I’m debating it on Mythos Black. I think the silvery one might actually look better with the black paint. Might be too much black otherwise. It hasn’t bothered me yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I want to know more on that please I have 2010 v10 R8 that i would like to convert to the new front grill.
I believe Gen 1s are ALOT easier iirc. Not sure tho. This gen2 forum

Had a shop do it - tons of clips, glad I had it done professionally. Looks 10x better than the stupid silver one they put on. AUDI should get sued for including those silver ones.
Hahaha, yes, lots of clips and tabs on that job! I’m debating it on Mythos Black. I think the silvery one might actually look better with the black paint. Might be too much black otherwise. It hasn’t bothered me yet.

the stock grilles looks good on NO CAR, not even black. The issue is the grille itself isn't even black, it's like gunmetal. WTH!?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did my CadillacCTSV the shop quoted me 600 labor so I did it myself. and it took about 4 hours and 9000 screws and clips. For my r8 the shop quoted me $350 so I may just have them do it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did it. It is not easy as some other said. The amount of hard to find screws, clips, and rivets is insane. Once the bumper is off you think you got the hardest part done but you're really only about halfway there. Due to the parking sensors the front grill has many pieces. You have wiring that goes around the edges for the parking sensors. You have the foam that goes between the cross beam and the bumper. You have three trim pieces that cover up the ugly crap behind the grill. Tons of screws. It look forever. I had to drill some rivets out. (didn't replace them when I reassembled) It took me something like 6 hrs. Going back in time I would've paid the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not hard, just time consuming per the manual. Stock grilled are riveted and screwed on. With that said, I paid shop. Well worth mod.

Looks perfect!

Where did you get those blanking plates for where the number plate holder would go? Do you know the part number for them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lingering question; is the black grill sold as 3 pieces? I ask because the small vertical grills are not black but rather a dark gray.

Thank you

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you guys say “shop” you talking Indy body shop or dealer body shop. Also with so many screws and tabs and rivets....you think those dealers or shops but it all back together correctly with out breaking anything??‍♂.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts