Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed theirs to either swap the leather or put carbon fiber instead?
If so, any instructions on how to either remove the whole thing if sending it out to wrap in different leather OR can the top leather pop out to install the carbon one.

Gear shift Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just pope the top cover off with a plastic tool. It just clicks straight upward.
Pop it from the front (facing the driver) or the back side (facing the dashboard/windshield?) Does it pop upwards (to the ceiling) or outwards toward you?
Sorry, just want to be sure I get it right and don't break anything

·
Registered
767 Posts
I did a little differently 🙂

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a little differently 🙂

Wow! Didn’t even realize the Q7 had a more sleek shifter than the R8. Kind of odd right? You would expect the opposite if anything.

So do you find the Q7 shifter being in your way of the volume control or anything as someone had suggested might be a problem in your thread?
Just curious but how much was the OEM Q7 shifter from Audi? Do you order it complete with the top leather piece or do you use the leather piece from the R8 shifter?
This whole thing started for me because I’m ordering a custom carbon steering wheel and I wanted to get away from the perforated leather on the steering wheel but that means I have to get rid of it on the shifter too as there is no perforated leather anywhere else in the car. But if the Q7 shifter comes with smooth leather as an option then I would use that and not even bother with the Carbon Fiber

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow! Didn’t even realize the Q7 had a more sleek shifter than the R8. Kind of odd right? You would expect the opposite if anything.

So do you find the Q7 shifter being in your way of the volume control or anything as someone had suggested might be a problem in your thread?
Just curious but how much was the OEM Q7 shifter from Audi? Do you order it complete with the top leather piece or do you use the leather piece from the R8 shifter?
This whole thing started for me because I’m ordering a custom carbon steering wheel and I wanted to get away from the perforated leather on the steering wheel but that means I have to get rid of it on the shifter too as there is no perforated leather anywhere else in the car. But if the Q7 shifter comes with smooth leather as an option then I would use that and not even bother with the Carbon Fiber
I had a Q7 and can confirm that they do come with smooth leather.

i love this idea and have the same questions about form factor, parts list and any lessons learned or regrets etc.

·
Registered
767 Posts
No. The shifter is located more to the left (towards the driver side) and does not block access to the volume control. And it is much much shorter. There is definitely more space (vertically) in the center.

I think it was for some $400(ish) and came with the perforated leather. I had to cut leather out (it is glued) and laminate the top piece with CF. Pain in the, ehm, neck. Ironically, I saw a CF top insert for $30 in fleebay, the other day. Such is life 😒

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a Q7 and can confirm that they do come with smooth leather.

i love this idea and have the same questions about form factor, parts list and any lessons learned or regrets etc.
I called my local Audi dealer and got some info. The shifter itself and the top piece are seperate. Approx $400 for the shifter and $100 for the top piece.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, you are right. I ordered two parts. Did not realize there was a smooth leather option. I would still have done the CF. It looks better, I think.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you are right. I ordered two parts. Did not realize there was a smooth leather option. I would still have done the CF. It looks better, I think.
If its a standard Q7/Q8 it should be smoother leather, only the S and RS should be perforated. But if you are leaving the OEM R8 steering wheel (which is perforated, then I don't suggest getting smooth leather anyways) as the Perforated leather matches the OEM wheel. I would want to get smooth leather only because I am getting an aftermarket steering wheel with smooth leather shortly.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most dealers are f*ckwits

Buy this part 4S1 713 139 C 1KT
Thank you Osman. You've been very helpful!
Debating getting the OEM one in Smooth Leather or ordering Carbon Fiber one for nearly the same $

·
Vendor
2,032 Posts
A note to all - in general we do not provide part numbers. Too many requests for these.

We are not a research service. We get too many requests for this.

If your local Audi dealer cannot help you - then make sure to raise it with Audi head office.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If your local Audi dealer cannot help you - then make sure to raise it with Audi head office.
Sad but true, I do not like most of the Audi dealers.

I've ordered a few parts from Audi San Diego (which also runs GenuineAudiParts.)

About a week later, someone replied saying "these are not OEM parts."
I told them they really were authentic OEM parts, and I want them.
Next day day, they canceled the order. They've also listed the parts I should have ordered. (full disclosure, they had my car's VIN.) If I want the parts I've ordered, they said, I could clear the VIN from the account and re-order.
Fair enough. Maybe they want to make sure the parts fit my car. So, I followed their instructions and reordered.
About a week later, I've received the first part. The Audi packaging was open. It did have a sticker on it with the right part number. Inside the package, however, was the part they said I should order. :(

When I complained, they claimed Audi ships different parts inside the same package. I.e. what is on the packaging and what is on the part do not have to match (this is in writing :)) It took me a little while to convince them to accept the return (I had to pay for the return shipping.)
I am calling Audi as soon as I see the return credit in my CC account.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts