Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just days after Audi released its V10-powered R8 Spyder, news has emerged that the German automaker is planning to do away with the massive ten cylinder engine. In its place will be a turbocharged V8 powerplant, that will offer as much (if not more) power with improved fuel economy.

The news, as reported by Germany’s AutoBild magazine, is not surprising considering numerous rumors that as BMW will also move away from a V10 powerplant, opting for a turbocharged V8 for the next M5.

Audi has already started to downsize its engines across the board, choosing a supercharged V6 in the S4, rather than the old 4.2-liter V8. The automaker has also done away with V6 options in many of its vehicles, choosing to only offer the more popular turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder.

Currently Audi offers a V10 in the Audi R8 Coupe and Spyder and a turbocharged version of that same engine can be found the RS6 (pictured above). The same Lamborghini-sourced V10 comes in the S6, while the S8 model was recently put on hold.

There is no word on if the V10 will continue on in the Lamborghini models.

More: Report: Audi to Phase Out V10 in Favor of Turbocharged V8 on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Wooo..this has come out of left field if true.

A R8 Turbo!!! Delicious:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What weight difference is there between a V10 and Turbocharged V8? You can't really go wrong with a Turbocharged V8 over a V10 seeing as it would have the same if not more power and with the fuel economy bs going on it's good for that also.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It would be good to see a face-off between the 2 cars.

DD, you're not thinking of holding out are you????

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
This will just make the rare Lamborghini engined R8 more valuable :D

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Further reports state the V8 will push out...

It appears that the new engine developed by Audi will be a V8 engine which will deliver around 550 hp and 700 Nm of torque. Same thing might happen with the next-generation of the Bmw M5

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Like I stated @ 1000 posts ago, The R8 should have come with a 6.5 to 7 litre V12 from the get go. A little longer car couldn't hurt any.Sh!t, Audi could have picked up these engines with their connections. THEN Audi could have made a killing selling the V8 to those who had to have an R8 but could'nt afford the V 12. After all, the Lambo LP670 is who's butt the R8 would be pushing had it had the same or bigger V 12. :eek:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Appreciate its only speculation and realistically if it was to happen it wouldn't be until 2011?

IF it had quicker performance and lighter weight would our current V10 owners trade up/across?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
UP / across / down ?

I very much doubt it. I can't see a twin turbo engine being any lighter than a V10 what with all the turbo's ancillary components. (I am also convinced that some of the V8 > V10 weight differences is down to the fact that the V10 has a lot more standard options fitted)

I understand it's VERY easy to get the V10 to 560 BHP by removing the throttle valve restriction coding as discussed by Ti Mike.

Plus I would always prefer a bigger CC engine that's normally aspired against a smaller turbo or SC engine if the power output is much the same.

Anyway why would I want to part with a rare Lambo engined R8 :D:D:D

The only thing that would make me think about the change would be if the R8TT had a LOT more torque as I'm convinced that torque is more useful in road driving than BHP.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
In theory at least a turboed v10 'should' be better than a comparable V12 as it should have less rotating mass, less internal friction, better heat rejection figures and via the turbo, much better torque cc for cc.

I'd be interested in the Alfa MultiAir technology which has no need for throttle bodies and can do interesting things like vary both valve timing and for instance open the valves twice in one stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
oooh, you're SO shallow ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts