Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that its as simple as adding the nav drive with built in nav module.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've heard of this, but you should check in with a custom audio shop. They may have more knowledge of this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am about 99% sure that the head unit just needs to be software unlocked for nav. If that is the case , Audi is really screwing some people over hard for 2k

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured out a solution to my problem. It seems like Audi USA tries to coax an extra 2k out of customers by putting "Audi Navigation" on the front of the head unit.

Mine says "Audi Concert" but its an identical unit. Just needs a software upgrade to unlock the nav feature. That along with a nav antenna , nav dvd and I am in business. Cost for this is $250.00 , the only negative is that I must be without the head unit for a couple days. If anyone who only has the premium pkg, but wants nav. Just contact Alex [email protected]

I will be sending mine in just after the new year, they upgrade it same day and get it right back out

·
Registered
494 Posts
Please let us know how that retrofit works out. Do you need any special tools to remove the head unit? I decided not to purchase the nav partly because I thought it was just a software switch and didn't feel like paying the crazy price for it. I would certainly do this upgrade though if this navparts company is legit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm interested to know how this turns out as well. I did not purchase the nav, but would be interested if it's a $250 fix.

·
Registered
163 Posts
thats funny. only diff is it says Audi concert instead of audi navigation. i would think adding nav would not be heard then. all you would need is the nav firmware, antenna and maybe the brain unit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes that is my head unit pictured. I was the first to have it done. Alex does great work. BUT as of right now you can only use the backup NAV disk that he supplies, the 08/09 disk will relock the unit ( because it contains firmware ). If anyone is willing to leave it with him for a little bit longer than it would normally take he is confident he can probably figure out how to make it work with any compatible nav disk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you pay extra for the NAV disk or it was included in the price?
Do you have any pictures with the unit back in the car?

IMHO $250 is a great price for NAV functionality.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes that is my head unit pictured. I was the first to have it done. Alex does great work. BUT as of right now you can only use the backup NAV disk that he supplies, the 08/09 disk will relock the unit ( because it contains firmware ). If anyone is willing to leave it with him for a little bit longer than it would normally take he is confident he can probably figure out how to make it work with any compatible nav disk.
So I assume this means that you would not be able to load your nav unit with map updates in the future. Otherwise it becomes inoperable? Kind of a bummer if you are stuck with aging maps a couple of years from now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you pay extra for the NAV disk or it was included in the price?
Do you have any pictures with the unit back in the car?

IMHO $250 is a great price for NAV functionality.
For $250 I got NAV functionality, a gps antenna, and a working backup 07/08 NAV disk

I will upload a couple of pictures later

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I assume this means that you would not be able to load your nav unit with map updates in the future. Otherwise it becomes inoperable? Kind of a bummer if you are stuck with aging maps a couple of years from now.
Currently that is correct, but this guy is the best in the biz when it comes to modding the RNS-E so I have no doubt he will be able to figure out how to get nav functionality going with the newer firmware version if he had a few more days with a unit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts